R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Why rubber,...not foam?

I used to run nitro on foams, now I'm starting to think about running electric and noticed that most guys at the track run rubber. Why?
nitro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

because foam sucks.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

rubber runs longer doesn't it? and cheaper. Foam tire gives you more grip but wears out quicker and you need to worry about rollout issue I suppose
05forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

The major downside to foam tires is that as their diameter decreases you must raise the rideheight and have to worry about many other things. We you can run rubber, do it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not to mention foams are prone to chunking and you have to buy & carry expensive & large tire truers to maintain. way more inconvenient, high maintenance and expensive. Rubber RULES. That's why in my opinion the World GT cars are a sham. They are supposed to be low coast alternatives to TCs yet they use foams. Makes no sense.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Tech Master

foams are not more expensive then rubber tires. They get smaller but they are more consistent throughout there usage.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

But my question is, why does Nitro run foams and not rubber?

I was actually thinking that this could be because Nitro exhaust fumes has a lot of unburnt lubricant? Thus if they use rubber, tires will get slippery? I don't know for sure but this was just my theory.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
But my question is, why does Nitro run foams and not rubber?

I was actually thinking that this could be because Nitro exhaust fumes has a lot of unburnt lubricant? Thus if they use rubber, tires will get slippery? I don't know for sure but this was just my theory.
From what I am hearing at the track, nitro cars have more power and rubber will not hold all that power. Here in mod (4T/ lipo) tires last sometimes 2-3 runs. So costwise it's about same I think. It is just more conveniant to run rubber and all races are based on rubber tires (no choise).
my 2c
Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I've tried foams that were similar in size to my rubber tires, and they did not hook up as well. It seems like when I have the right rubber tire for the right track condition, they hook up best. But, I don't have an extensive foam collection to test. I just have a few sets that kinda stumbled into my tire box.

I always thought foams got their added traction from surface area, not so much the material. At least from what I have seen in nitro and wgt, they run rear foams that are twice the width of rubber tires.

--pakk
Old 06-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Tech Champion

I don't think theres any need for anyone to hate on foams.

I can buy a set of 4 premounted foams cheaper than a set of premounted sorex 28, you only tend to chunk foams if you board tap a lot.

I am using 40 shore ennetti front and rear on a high bite track, additive on for the first round only, and I am good to go.

Im not saying foams are better than rubbers, or rubbers are better than foams etc etc, but you can get a car to handle well on either, and make foams last a long time, imho

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default FOAM VS. RUBBER

We run foam tire in both stock and mod. sedan up here.Back in the day we only ran rubber.I can tell you there is nothing cheap about rubber tire racing.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What I like about foam is that you know right away when a tire is done. Sometimes with rubber tires you will fight them for awhile before you realize they need replaced.

I can order 4 Jaco Prisms (foams) for $20 on Nexus. That's cheaper than a set of rubber tires. Plus, I bought an old Cobra truer from a friend for $40. If you can't get a hold of one, I guarantee there's someone at the track with one that'll true a set for little or no charge, or simply ask to use it yourself.

Another thing is, foam helps lay down traction. Our track is low/med traction, but we've been running stock foam for about 6 weeks or so and you can tell that the traction is starting to come up, and the "groove" develops waaaay earlier in the night than it used to.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

On carpet anyways.. I get a good month plus out of a set of rubber tires.. Thats running twice a week I might add. The main problem with foam is you true half the damn thing away to be fast.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I believe foams are used on the nitro cars because of the extra HP and weight and they hold up and last longer, a set of rubber tires in a 20 or 30 minute main would make for some interesting pitting.

my problem with foam tires is they come to dang big right out of the package and you have to cut them down, for me, this is a big psychological waste of money and tire. if the foam tires came out of the box a bit smaller i wouldn't feel like i'm wasting so much of the tire, foam tire on pavement in electric, is faster and cheaper, but as i've been told, its not traditional so we can't do it.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Having come from pan cars to touring cars, I like running foam tires. Contrary to what someone posted earlier, you do not have to take a truer to the track, besides, even if you do , they are not that big and bulky.(mines is just a little bigger than a battery charger)
The biggest advantage for me is the fact I can reuse wheels when the tire is gone and also , if needed, make my own compound combinations to suit track conditions.

So to that person that stated "foams suck" , I say they are awesome, if you know what your doing.