R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2004, 11:16 AM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

hey! i outqualified joneser!

though, the main didn't go as i'd've liked.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

seaball-good Job!!! Whats your opinion on Acer Ceramic bearings? I need new bearings in both my Warpspeed cars before I leave for the Snowbirds. I was thinking the Ceramic for the stock car and the Dual Super Polyamide Sealed for the Mod car.

rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

nah, everyone drove pretty well yesterday. though, without you 19t guys running stock, we left love and denton unchallenged! i almost felt fast.

way to go in the main joneser.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
Hmm I saw that design somewhere else... Really looks like the Athena project, at least the Top Deck.
Gotta agree with you!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #35
Tech Elite

dude,

i had tried the teflasonic series from acer, and i thought that they sucked hard. the seals are ok, but the bearing itself seemed weak. in that they would crush easier than some of the nmb type that i had. ya'know when plastic is molded it shrinks when it cools. it's not always uniform, so it can leave hub bores irregularly shaped. well, it seemed that my acer bearings took form to my hubs easier than i would have liked. i'm sure ceramic is awesome, but based on what i got, i can tell you that i would look elsewhere. chances are, if you have time, you'll find a place to sell them to you w/o all the bs r/c markup. i dunno. who else sells them?

even when i reemed my hubs out so that they spun smooth and long, the bearings crapped out on me in just a few runs. i've got some nice metal shielded ones from nmb that have a thicker sidewall on them and they are very durable.

my $.02

see you thursday.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Hey everyone-two updates!!!

On the Warpspeed Chassis-Expect them next week. We had s small dealy that was unavoidable and I apologize for those who have already ordered them from me.

ON the GP3300 Front-Theres a lot of talk on the internet and at the track about the voltage on these new "shorty" cells. At this time I personally have no thoughts on the matter, but I will pass along the thoughts from two of my customers.

And the feeling expreseed by both of them is that on the track (in the demanding world of Oval Racing) these new cells with there lower voltage numbers appear to be faster than the old "long" cans. This is proven out by lap times dropping and track records dropping with batteries that have quite a bit lower numbers than before (i.e. 1.180 vs. 1.165).

So-the numbers are what sells packs-but the truth may be that the new "shorty" cells might be the BOMB!!! regardless of the scary low voltage on the label.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Hey everyone-two updates!!!

On the Warpspeed Chassis-Expect them next week. We had s small dealy that was unavoidable and I apologize for those who have already ordered them from me.

ON the GP3300 Front-Theres a lot of talk on the internet and at the track about the voltage on these new "shorty" cells. At this time I personally have no thoughts on the matter, but I will pass along the thoughts from two of my customers.

And the feeling expreseed by both of them is that on the track (in the demanding world of Oval Racing) these new cells with there lower voltage numbers appear to be faster than the old "long" cans. This is proven out by lap times dropping and track records dropping with batteries that have quite a bit lower numbers than before (i.e. 1.180 vs. 1.165).

So-the numbers are what sells packs-but the truth may be that the new "shorty" cells might be the BOMB!!! regardless of the scary low voltage on the label.
Is the run time higher on the new cells, if a cell runs for 20 seconds longer than the cell next to it, cell one may have lower average voltage, but still put out MORE Voltage for the number of seconds that cell two discharges.

Does that make sense?
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:28 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Ian-the new shorty cells do have better runtime, just lower voltage across the board. In other words-the labels dont look good anymore. I ran my first shorty cans this weekend from Pole Position Batteries and they ran very well. The second charge they charged to a higher MaH, and ran very strong. Usually you see the most capacity on charge #1, but these new cells seem to pick-up runtime on charge #2 (12 to 20 seconds) of a race day. So they are a bit different.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Ian-the new shorty cells do have better runtime, just lower voltage across the board. In other words-the labels dont look good anymore. I ran my first shorty cans this weekend from Pole Position Batteries and they ran very well. The second charge they charged to a higher MaH, and ran very strong. Usually you see the most capacity on charge #1, but these new cells seem to pick-up runtime on charge #2 (12 to 20 seconds) of a race day. So they are a bit different.
Then to me that 'splains it! A lower voltage over a longer period of time is sometimes better than Big Voltage over a shorter period. I'll always take a 420 1.170 pack over a 390 1.18 pack because pack one is carrying 1.17 over an extra 30 seconds. So what do you think the voltage numbers for pack one look like at the 375 sec. mark versus those of pack 2? I imagine they're better. Ahhh the eternal game of battery numbers.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Hey Ian,

RB TQ'd with my Warpspeed Demon AGAIN!! And Mo won the stock a-Main. You should have seen Jimmy though-he was on railes all weekend long. He was riiipin' in 19turn.

Also-Eric Chambers was TQ for a spell with his Warpspeed Xray-then RB was TQ with a Warpspeed Demon and finally Aaron TQ'd with a TC3 and a top deck on his car.
Ray
Old 01-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Hey everyone,

The first orders of Xray chassis have arrived and were all pres-sold so all GONE!! They do look plain old awesome and stupid stiff as promised!!!

But I do have the 3mm XRAY UPPER Plates in stock. I have four left!!

E-mail me ASAP for those!!!

I expect more SD and Xray conversions to be delivered to me for the Snowbirds-Come and see me their!!!

Ray
[email protected]
www.diamondnorthernrc.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3mmtopdeck.jpg (40.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Default The pic!!

Heres a pic of the real deal.

Warpspeed Xray chassis and top deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warpxray2.jpg (59.8 KB, 178 views)
Old 01-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Nice. Lovin It.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
regardless of the scary low voltage on the label.
Scary low? I remember the best packs you could get right around now and in the weeks around the Novak race last year were middle 1.15's. Why are we complaining about 1.165+'s being the best cells? Still seems like killer voltage to me. Once people start running them they'll realize how good they really are.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:00 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Brian-your so right. I have heard from many racers after the NOvak Race that they ran brand new 1.165 to 1.172 packs of the short can stuff (bought from DNRC) and had no problems laying down to the guys all running there older 1.18 long cans.

Its all about perspective at this point. If Ferrari were to rerate its HP numbers and its 600hp motor now is 540hp, but is just as fast-people would be all up in arms too. SO I understand, but its tough to change peoples mnds. ALl anyone wants now is a 434 1.185 pack because they know someone who had one pack like that once!!