R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need servo help

I've been having trouble lately with my TC3's steering not wanting to return to center after hard right turns. In an effort to fix the problem today I stripped down the front end, cleaned all parts, replaced all ball cups and generally straightened out a bunch of questionable stuff. The main issue I found was the the right hub carrier pivot was binding.

Anyway, I started putting everything back together thinking I'd finally solved my steering problem only to have the servo start misbehaving. Things were looking good but then suddenly the servi decided that it was only willing to move to the left. No right steering at all. I pulled the servo, hoping something else was binding but the servo itself seems to be at fault. When turning to the left I get a normal amount of movement but turning to the right produces only the barest of movement.

So, anyone out there have any brilliant insights into what could be wrong with the servo? Its a Hitec HS-303 standard servo that came with my TC3 RTR so, its certainly not a high end servo. Should I just scrap it and move to something a bit better? What's a good servo to move to? I'm not wanting to spend a lot but I want something reliable.

Thanks
plbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

You may have striped or worn down the gears.
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Scrap the old Hitec servo, I personally like Futaba servos but have heard good things about the newer Hitec digital servos, and also have heard the same good things about JR servos.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Took the top off the servo and the gears do not seem stripped. Not sure what else is inside a servo but, the problem does not appear to be the gears.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:34 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking plbman

Quote:
Originally posted by plbman
Took the top off the servo and the gears do not seem stripped. Not sure what else is inside a servo but, the problem does not appear to be the gears.
sounds like the servo motor is having a problem .. might try to see if your end point adjustments are correct left/right, if they are and the same prob persist you should invest in a upgrade of that product or another manuf.product.,,
Old 12-29-2003, 06:41 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

I figured ot the problem and thought I'd post my experience here just for other people's benefit.

It turns out that the problem was not with the servo at all but is actually a problem with my radio. Just as a thought, I tried plugging the servo into another car and I found that it worked fine in that car. This led me to suspect the radio/receiver combo. since the RX has no moving parts, I figured I'd start with the TX. When I took it apart I found that that the potentiometer that is hooked to the steering wheel was loose in its mounting so that it could rotate inside the case. When you turn the wheel left it would work fine but turning right the potentiometer itself rotates.

Still not sure I can remount it but I thought maybe someone out there might find this of interest.

Thanks for the responses.