Wiki Posts
Search

INDI Torpedo Battery Boosting System

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default INDI Torpedo Battery Boosting System

Does anyone know who manufactures this product? Do they have a website or shopfront? Anyone know any problems with this product? Do they have a 240V version?

http://rc4less.safeshopper.com/41/394.htm?878
Old 12-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Yes, click on the Integy link down in my signature. That piece is basically what comes built in to all of their chargers. I have tried it several times when I would run stock, and seemed to give a boost for the first few minutes.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
Yes, click on the Integy link down in my signature. That piece is basically what comes built in to all of their chargers. I have tried it several times when I would run stock, and seemed to give a boost for the first few minutes.
Is this booster different from the booster on the INDI 16X5v6 or Eagle CDC Ver 6 as we know it in Australia beacsue I don't think the booster on the 16x5 is very effective...

Last edited by Kennedy; 12-30-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

I believe so...
this may pack more punch, so to say, but not worth the money
Old 12-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

We used the torpedo when we were running spec legends class.........seemed to work.
never tried it on any other packs.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2003, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know who actualy makes it... Integy puts their name on it... www.integy.com

In my opion, if you have good charging technique and you time your charge/peak so you reach peak within 5 minutes or so of your race, then you have no need for the Torpedo...

If your pack peaks, and has to sit around for a while and it cools down... the Torpeod can help to get the pack back up to operating temperature.

You can also use something like a Turbo35 to do basicly the same thing the Torpedo does... It essentialy discharges a pack for 20 or 30 seconds and then re-peaks... You can do this yourself if you have a discharger and a charger...

On the ohter hand... The Torpedo automates the process, and has some value just because it is automated. I own one, and rarely use it, but then I probably whouldn't sell it for much less then about $50, and have no plans to sell it at this time. I keep it around just incase I need it's services... One thing I don't like about it... is I don't know for sure exacly what it's doing... When I do things myself on my T35, I am in control... (that can be good or bad depending on the phase of the moon... )
Old 12-31-2003, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

You can also use something like a Turbo35 to do basicly the same thing the Torpedo does... It essentialy
I just got a GFX.. can you give me the specs. you would use in writing the re-peak program?

I'm guessing you'd write it so it does a 30 second, 20 amp discharge (I'm racing 1/12th) and then something like a 6 amp peak charge at 0.2 detection?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

we had one. it didn't seem to do much, so we bought a zapper, after a few zaps the booster won't do a thing for the cells. we sold it.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

The GFX has the ablity to program a breif discharge (timed?) and then go into charge mode????

Typicaly what I will do on my T35 is discharge at 30 amps for about 30 seconds... then charge more or less as you normaly would... Typicaly it will take at least another 5 mintues of 6 amp charging to get the pack to peak again. If all goes acording to plan, when your done, your pack should be warmed up nicely to something like 135F or so... (which is close to ideal for GP-3300s)

The bad part when I do this manualy is that every now and then I forget to stop discharging, and end up with a pack that's too far dischaged to get back fully charged before my race...
Old 01-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Kennedy
Is this booster different from the booster on the INDI 16X5v6 or Eagle CDC Ver 6 as we know it in Australia beacsue I don't think the booster on the 16x5 is very effective...
I had a Torpedo and sold it b/c I have 2 indi 16x5v6 chargers with this boost on it. I have used it for 2+ years and I really like mine. I notice quite a difference.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dyno- does the GFX have a timed discharge on it, I know my T30 does..... Maybe use that instead?? Or tear apart an old timed charger to get the timer, and build yourself a set of bulbs??? Of coarse I love building stuff!!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm... I'll have to look at my T35 manual, I guess I've never even looked for a timed dischage funcition...

What really would be needed to automate the whole process is to time a discarge for like 30 seconds, and then automaticly go into charge mode with a typical peak charge, etc...

Just being able to limit a dischage to now more then 30 seconds would be a help... at least then maybe I wouldn't forget to stop the discharge...