Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Reverse prohibited in race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stu22
Why do you even have an ESC in your nitro car to replace?
I'm fairly certain he meant saving weight by taking out reverse out of his nitro car, which is done with a servo...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Reversing is illegal as it can result in big accidents. If you race for a bit you will see plenty of stupid accidents caused by people crashing then rejoining the track with little or no care about other cars. Imagine if they had reverse!

Plenty of high end speedys have reverse. All top end SP speedys have the option of forward/brake or forward/brake/reverse with the same settings. Brushless has this advanatge over brushed in the reverse in managed by the software, not the hardware.

If you have reverse save it for practice days with no other traffic on the track.
This guy has the only decent answer out of all these. The use of reverse causes a bad day for other racers. Thats why its not allowed.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Reverse is prohibited because ppl does not know or refuse to know "WHEN" to use the reverse........so it might as well disabled it or prohibited.

Reverse is a good thing to use on off road practice like slash...however, I don't think it is a good idea to use on ON ROAD...simply the same reason, some ppl just doesn't know WHEN to use it...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Reversing is illegal as it can result in big accidents. If you race for a bit you will see plenty of stupid accidents caused by people crashing then rejoining the track with little or no care about other cars. Imagine if they had reverse!
That is one thing that annoys me immensely. And the marshalls that put the cars they assist right in front of high speed oncoming traffic! Or marshalls who get on the track with their back at the traffic. And so on.
How do you deal with these things at your track?

And you don't need to imagine what would happen if people had reverse. In the last enduro we had someone reversed and wiped out a car, totally destroying its rear suspension.

Last edited by niznai; 05-27-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Also, without reverse, you will also (hopefully) learn to make less mistakes, especially in practice, becasue marshalling yourself becomes annoying quickly
Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Haha.. this hobby is real fun. Cheers all!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Its because when the first electronics in race kits came out we only had a resistor and wiper arm, and without extra wiring for a micro switch reverse was not even a option, so it just made more sense to keep everything simple and just not allow it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Its because when the first electronics in race kits came out we only had a resistor and wiper arm, and without extra wiring for a micro switch reverse was not even a option, so it just made more sense to keep everything simple and just not allow it.
LOL I remember those. They werent half bad at the time.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Yes too funny, made for some very interesting skin burns and melted bodies.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

All good anwsers to why reverse is not allowed. Not much I can add but I'll recap:

Motor Control
1: The good ol'days of RC had mechanical speedos and wiring for reverse was headache.
2: The invention of ESC's did not make reverse practical for racing becuase Reverse still required a seperate interal circut and reduced performance no matter how it was done. This is why forward-only ESC's have mega high amp ratings and lower internal resistance compared to a reversing ESC of double the size.
3: The invention of Brushless has allowed reverse becuase now with 3-phased power, the direcion of the motor is in the software, but heck with reverse RC racing has gone without for 30 years.

People
1. Racing is normally fast, so why would going backwards be faster?
2. Some racers just don't want to learn how to drive and use the "RESET" reverse mode as a crutch. So drive slower and make faster lap times instead of driving faster and wrecking 10 times a lap.
3. Passing lap traffic is hard enough, now try passing them when they are going reverse. enny-minny-miney-moe which direction do I go?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Im amazed this thread is still alive
Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
I'm fairly certain he meant saving weight by taking out reverse out of his nitro car, which is done with a servo...
thank you thirtybird at least someone has some sense, I said one mistake you dont have to go on about it ok!