R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya xb pro motor

For the Tamiya X.B PRO I've got just the TT-01 chassis and I want my car to go faster. Can you guys help me find a motor that will fit my 540 motor holder and is more for a touring car than a drifting car so something with some good speed rather than power and preferably cheap. Also if a speed controller is needed tell me, and plz can you give me the web link and price !! thanks for your help
ageofdeath30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite

All the motors for 1/10th cars are 540 size and will fit in your car.

If you don't want to upgrade the speed controller (which I assume is a Tamiya TEU101BK) then your limit is the Tamiya Speed Tuned motor, which is not much faster than the kit motor.

If you have the funds to upgrade the speed controller as well then really there is no limit, although the TT-01 would struggle to handle the fastest motors on the market.

Changing the gear ratio will make the car a lot quicker too with the standard 540 motor. Kit gearing of 19/61 is very slow, get the speed tuned gears and change to 25/58 or 25/55 and it will be a lot quicker.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Upgrading to ball bearings would be the first thing to do, if it isn't already done.
You will feel the difference: as fast as a new motor, better runtime, better durability.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks, how much would a pretty good motor with a pretty good speed controller be? Ive looked at some nosram and Ansmann brushed and brushless motors but I expect they would be too fast and expensive for me, im lookin to spend about 50 max, I imagine that would mean a pretty bad motor and esc!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Well I wouldn't put anything hotter than a 19T motor anyway. I'm not saying that the TT01's transmission wouldn't handle it, but it would be a bit beyond the car's handling capabilities. 19T is certainly "bad" for a world championship, but it is more than enough for bashing, and MUCH faster than your silvercan.
For example the Nosram (as you are in the UK) Hawk reverse (18T limit) and a LRP GT3 19*2 would fit your 50 bill

A "pretty good" esc would be the Speed Passion LPF (around 100)

HTH
Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Is there anyway I can change the handling or is it the chassis that causes the bad handling .What would the ball bearings do, is it the same thing as a ball diff and I dont think i will race it in world championships or nationals because cause I guess there are a ton of better cars and drivers then me from companies like HPI and Losi. I'll stick to little club racing ! And do you think upgrading the parts with hop ups from tamiya is worth it, ive looked throught the tt-01 hop up catalouge and wondered if it was worth it, can you tell me which parts are worth buying? last thing, Would the hawk reverse and lrp gt3 19*2 fit my tt-01 chassis.
thanks for your help.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
Tech Addict

The TT-01 simply doesn't have the adjustability that a TA-05/TB-03/Cyclone S has, once you've pumped money into the hopups on the TT-01 to get it better you will probably have spent far more than you would have if you bought one of the above cars new.

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Replacing the kit plastic bushings by ball bearings will free up your transmission a lot. Its like walking on marbles as opposed to walking on regular ground - very slippery.

Regarding other hop ups, it depends on what you plan to do next. Buying all the hop ups the car has would end up costing you more than if you had bought a higher spec car in the first place. The idea would be to buy only what you can carry over to another car (TA05?) in the future. For example, oil dampers, option spring set, pinions.

Quote:
Would the hawk reverse and lrp gt3 19*2 fit my tt-01 chassis.
To expand on it a bit more, the nosram hawk reverse (30) is a brushed ESC with a 18t limit; the lrp gt3 19*2 (15) is a fixed endbell motor that runs on bushings.
Does anyone have a better suggestion in that price range?

Last edited by panda racer; 05-26-2009 at 05:41 AM.
panda racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

what is a front way system and what does it do?By upgrading parts to aluminium, I know it would make it stronger but does it help in any other way, I've tryed googling half of these questions and i can never get a good answer!! You guys are the best help i can get, Sorry for the annoying questions and I should probably go to the rookie zone !!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Tech Master

A front one-way is a diff that goes in the front gearbox which allows the drive shaft to provide power when you are accelerating, but when you are coasting or braking it "free-wheels". It is faster, provides more speed through the corners, but makes braking difficult as you only have brakes on the rear wheels. Not a beginners thing, and not necessary on a TT01.

Aluminium parts are a waste of money, plain and simple. You don't see ali gear on pro cars for a reason. My racing cars have ali motor mounts, and 1 has a bulkhead brace, that's it. If you want strength get Carbon Fibre, but again, not really necessary. You could get an ali prop-shaft if you don't already have one as it will handle more power from the motor.

Upgrades, in order, for entry level racing should be:
1. Full metal bearing kit. Doesn't need to be Tamiya, most knock-off's are fine for beginning. Although I think your car has them already.
2. A set of tuning springs for the shocks. Tamiya has them.
3. Upgraded ESC. Get a known brand, that can handle to about a 19 turn.
4. Upgraded motor. Again, known brand.
5. Pinions to go with the motor. THis is the biggest mistake most beginners make. I think the TT01 has a few fixed options for pinion selection. Get them and try them as all motors have a different "power band", which you can find by trial and error by gearing the motor differently.
6. New battery. Soon that old 1300 NiCad just won't cut it. Bigger capacity batteries are heavier, but give more power.

Anything else when you are starting is just for show. It won't make you faster, so why get it

A little more on the motor thing. The Tamiya RZ motor is fine for beginning racing, expecially on a small track. I have a TA-05 for my on-road car and with the right gearing, the RZ is a rocket. It also lasts a long time before needed to be re-built. I have had dozens of different motors, and for ease of use the Tamiya is well placed.

The main thing with a TT01 is it's a fun car. It is competitive against other TT01's and similar entry-level cars, and that's where you should aim. They are very popular cars for a reason: Easy to set-up and easy to drive.

Sorry for the lecture.....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

For the battery pack is an ansman 1900MAh battery stick good?
How do you change the pinions or the gear ratio?? I dont realy understand about the concept of gears.