R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default What Happened To 2007?

It was all good in 2007 lipo was needed there was something called a stock motor and stock motor class... what is todays technology verses 2 years ago? because that is when I went out and bought everything for my rc car. nimh pulsar competition 2 charger, bulldog rdc-15 (with out the Bleeping fan), futaba 3pj, Novak GT-7, Monster Stock motor, hs615-mg, fusion v2 battery pack? umm

WHAT THE... HAPPENED
I NEED HELP BAD
VisaTradeTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

I mean Can I Still Race? If So Can I Keep Up?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Unfortunately this stuff was outdated in 2007.Maybe you bought this stuff in 2004-05?This will not keep up in the 17.5 class unless your a really smooth driver and can block people running the newest tech in speed controls.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisaTradeTC3 View Post
I mean Can I Still Race? If So Can I Keep Up?
Of course you can still race!

Whether you can keep up or not depends on your skills as a driver. Don't assume that because everyone is running brushless and LiPo that you need to upgrade to compete. I'm still running brushed and NiMH at club races here in the UK and I'm still happy with the amount of power I have.

Get back down to the track and enjoy yourself!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You can still go out and have some fun. Your stuff is dated, but if you can wheel it, you won't be too far off. "Stock" has gotten so fast now it's going to be tough for most newbies to be anywhere close to being near the pace. Be patient and you'll be surprised how well you could run.

Ben

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've beaten bl/lipo setups with my TA05 and the shabbiest electronics you've ever seen (2nd hand fantom stock motor anyone? And I've never balanced my battery packs). It's the driving and setup that counts.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

just go race , you dont need update stuff till you can drive faster then the electronics in your car , practice , be patient , have fun , and start saving up . ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the USVTA has what you need to run what you have ...here are some links

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/

goto the link section of the page and it will allow you all the info you will need

good luck
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Of course you can still race!

Whether you can keep up or not depends on your skills as a driver. Don't assume that because everyone is running brushless and LiPo that you need to upgrade to compete. I'm still running brushed and NiMH at club races here in the UK and I'm still happy with the amount of power I have.

Get back down to the track and enjoy yourself!
Yep 100% true.

What you have is more then enough for some weekend fun at the track.

If you haven't been racing lately use the stuff you have now.

When you feel a disadvantage with something you have then upgrade as you get faster, to go faster.

I say NiMH cells are 100% awesome. And I don't find a need to upgrade anytime soon.

Brushed motor can be a pain because I've only bashed them at parking lots and never took care of them.

a brushed motor when your trying stay fast and win a race = alot of maintenance. So that's where I failed because I don't know how to lathe a comm or do tunning tips that the "pro's" know.

So brushless is for all ages and all different levels.lol
Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Okay im trying to be calm. I know its a race against faster speed controls.
But will the speed control run still with lipo batteries?

do I need a spektrum system or something to race or will my Futaba 3pj (channel 62) work?

How difficult would it be to pass a tc5 chassis vs my tc3? (or maybe suggest a more popular one than a tc5? or one that wont be completely outdated in 2 years?)

Are Pulsar 3 chargers the bomb? (a lesser priced one with more features more reliable?)

I would call my local hobby shop, Jake's (JPH) but its like late at night and I dont want to call tomorrow and have to explain my situation. and I dont have enough time to drive all the way to rhonert park tomorrow. this new technology has blown me out of the race for a while at least. Hopefully I wont be a complete newb when I move to So-Cal
Old 05-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Okay im trying to be calm. I know its a race against faster speed controls.
But will the speed control run still with lipo batteries?

do I need a spektrum system or something to race or will my Futaba 3pj (channel 62) work?

How difficult would it be to pass a tc5 chassis vs my tc3? (or maybe suggest a more popular one than a tc5? or one that wont be completely outdated in 2 years?)

Are Pulsar 3 chargers the bomb? (a lesser priced one with more features more reliable?)

I would call my local hobby shop, Jake's (JPH) but its like late at night and I dont want to call tomorrow and have to explain my situation. and I dont have enough time to drive all the way to rhonert park tomorrow. this new technology has blown me out of the race for a while at least. Hopefully I wont be a complete newb when I move to So-Cal
Honestly, the situation hasn't changed that much. Serously, you have been out for 2 years, not 20.

Cars still have four wheels. LiPo batteries are effectively the same voltage as the Sub-C packs. FM Radio sets still work.

The new equipment in people's cars may seem very different but the hobby is still the same.

The only thing you really need to be careful of if you choose to upgrade is the LiPo cells, they must be charged with a LiPo charger, the NiMH chargers are not safe.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

I understand now that im blowing it way out of proportion. Could you suggest a charger that will do everything? I do have a powersupply for it. Rivergate Bulldog RDC-15 (14.2amp output or 13.6).

also, What does a good brushless system cost. Advantages, Disadvantages? the brushless system is new to me.
So is the 17.5 turn dealey. Is 17.5 turn now stock class and the 27 or whatever it used to be disappered?
wtf is .5 on the end of 17? a half turn? is that setup specifically to make motors more expensive or something?
im planning on wiping out as much old technology as possible at least on one of my race cars, can I keep my hs615-mg servo?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

So, The lipo scene. I understand its right up my alley as far as maintence goes. But how in the world does it work? I have been looking through a few threads to find out. What do spec racers use as far as batteries go? 25c lipo 5400mah. what the heck started the lipo scene anyways? what happened to at least making it look like we were running off of regular batteries? if there are really 25 cells in that thing, what makes it a battery? or is that the size of the cell or something. I don't know sorry for rambling.

What is the stock (17.5 turn) class lipo battery?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
So, The lipo scene. I understand its right up my alley as far as maintence goes. But how in the world does it work? I have been looking through a few threads to find out. What do spec racers use as far as batteries go? 25c lipo 5400mah. what the heck started the lipo scene anyways? what happened to at least making it look like we were running off of regular batteries? if there are really 25 cells in that thing, what makes it a battery? or is that the size of the cell or something. I don't know sorry for rambling.

What is the stock (17.5 turn) class lipo battery?
25C is the discharge rate, it can discharge at 25 times the capacity (so 135 amps).
Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Quote:
what the heck started the lipo scene anyways?
I'd say the "explosive" performance of IB4200-4600 cells turned many racers away from ni-mh, as well as their delicateness and the hassle of maintaining them ($200 dischargers, anyone? ).