R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New to Lipo

Hey I have a rookie Lipo question.

I am about to make the lipo switch, I mainly run 1/12 scale and some TC.

My question involves saddle pack lipo's. Is a saddle pack lipo 2 single cell lipos strung togather?

The reason I ask is I will be running 1s lipo for 1/12th scale and 2s saddle pack lipo for my TC. It would be great if I can string my single cell lipo packs into two cell lipo saddle packs.
synap2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synap2012 View Post

My question involves saddle pack lipo's. Is a saddle pack lipo 2 single cell lipos strung togather?

The reason I ask is I will be running 1s lipo for 1/12th scale and 2s saddle pack lipo for my TC. It would be great if I can string my single cell lipo packs into two cell lipo saddle packs.
If you are using two identical 1s LiPo batteries, sure, you could wire them in series to get 7.4v. Wiring them in series is the same thing you do (with battery bars) when you build NiMH packs. Wiring them in series will give you 2x the voltage with the same capacity as 1s. So, if they were the 1s 4000mAh SMC packs, you'd get 7.4v 4000 mAh in series. I would just charge them individually to be safe.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by synap2012 View Post

The only problem is that the 1S lipos that are available for 1/12 are different in size and shape than the 2S lipos that are used for touring. So, you could take two 1S lipos and run them in series to make 2S but, you may have a challenge trying to get it to properly fit the touring car.

Does that make sense?
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Sort of like trying to fit a 1s LiPo in a T-bar car....
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Tech Regular

using them in your tc might not work out very well... i would say keep seperate packs for the two different cars.. will save you money in the long run
dsyed1 is offline   Reply With Quote