R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default First on road car.

Good afternoon all,
I was looking into purchasing my first on road car. I was looking at my most recent issue of RC Driver. And the HPI E-10 R Ford GT LM race car sepc II caught my eye. Is this a good car to start with? I am not looking to race as of right now. Just something to have some fun with. I do however want something that I can upgrade when the time comes. Any suggestions would be great even if its for another car.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrekito View Post
Good afternoon all,
I was looking into purchasing my first on road car. I was looking at my most recent issue of RC Driver. And the HPI E-10 R Ford GT LM race car sepc II caught my eye. Is this a good car to start with? I am not looking to race as of right now. Just something to have some fun with. I do however want something that I can upgrade when the time comes. Any suggestions would be great even if its for another car.
If you want to upgrade, and actually get into serious racing. Don't get the E10 it's not very tunable
grategenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The e10 is trash.

Get the Tamiya TA05 for starters and upgrade some stuff to make it serous track worthy

Its stronge, cheap, tunnable, light, and handles well for its price.

Goodluckk
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to RFALLON

XRAY T2'009
Novak
JR racing
RFALLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

top photon, my next consider car
rcsabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Tech Adept

If you just want to bash around the street, and want reliability and durability then I would pick up an Associated TC4, you can get a ready to run version, or pick them up off ebay for really low prices.

If you want to have some fun now, but want the option to upgrade to race seriously, then go for a Hotbodies Cyclone S, its competitive out of the box, cheap and durable. Also you can slowly upgrade it to keep up with your skill level.

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Right now there's little that really competes with the TA05 for price/quality wether you want a basher or a future racing car. That said, you might as well go for the TA05IFS-R kit while you can still get it. This doesn't cost much more and offers some items you would immediately want after pushing the TA05 to its limits (or perhaps straight away). This will work a lot cheaper than actually buying everything separately. A lot of people don't like the inboard suspension but you can always switch to the normal setup and the advantage is you only have to buy a few cheap bits to do it, the rest is all in the kit.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 05-21-2009 at 11:16 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

if you are simply after a fun, good looking car ( i mean ,you were considering a GT40, not a cardbox car !) to bash in the street, why not choose a mini ?
As the M05 is being released, M03s are going from really cheap to dirty cheap !
Plus, you can get them rtr.

if you intend to get specifically a touring car, i'd also go for the barebone TA05. It's virtually unbreakable in stock form , easy to drive, difficult to mess up.

Last edited by panda racer; 05-20-2009 at 05:53 AM.
panda racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Heya,

Well personally I went with the normal process of
Cyclone S - decent belt car which can be upgraded BUT some parts are very flimsy. I broke some C hubs and arms with very little board taps, and I mean little!

Then Kyosho TF5 Readyset - very decent and with a few upgrades can be converted to the higer spec kit version. The actual car itself is like the kit version in terms of setup/part interchangability, but due to a RTR the parts are not carbon, but plastic. I've upgrade all mine to almost a kit version and I'm pretty happy with it. So happy that I've got two.

Then Xray 009 - I am glad i progressed slowly to this car because with all the practice with the previous two, and all the crashes, I wouldn't want that exp then with such a fine car. Some will say get the best first and I won't disagree, but I'm glad I learned first before going with this (plus its a bit pricey if ur just bashing) and the quality is top notch.

See ur budget and think about what you wanna do with the hobby. if your bashing, the Cyclone, Kyosho TF5, Tamiya TA05 are all good value performers.

Higher end then its Xray, Associate, and all the other high end kits you will see mentioned here.

good luck.
V_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

oh, the E10 isn't too good a car from what i've heard and read. Never owned one myself so I can't say for certain but it isn't a car that can really be upraded like the cars in terms of making it a decent racer. Save extra money and go for a better mid-level car like mentioned in the other posts.
V_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Tech Elite

If you want a belt car, look at the TA05. TC4 for a shaft car. Both are great cars for their cost, and are fully upgradeable. The TC4 is a bit tougher, and a good car to start into with. It's still my main car for racing.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

TA05-IFS R.....nicely optioned for $200USD, and that car can run on carpet, outdoor, TCS, with silver can, 21.5, 17.5 and 13.5....if you are good enough, it is good enough to run MOD as well.

I don't usually keep my RC car more then 1 year...but this one, I will never sell, it is so good I can use it to race in so many different classes. I just finished the TCS event, change the tires....it turned into RCGT class.

Best car ever for around $200 USD.

The HPI E10 is too beginner unit...like once you are getting better, you have to sell it and get a better car...it caught your eye probably because of the body....Tamiya body is the industry BEST...no one can deny that.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Read my sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Rigth now there's little that really competes with the TA05 for price/quality wether you want a basher or a future racing car. That said, you might as well go for the TA05IFS-R kit while you can still get it. This doesn't cost much more and offers some items you would immediately want after pushing the TA05 to its limits (or perhaps straight away). This will work a lot cheaper than actually buying everything separately. A lot of people don't like the inboard suspension but you can always switch to the normal setup and the advantage is you only have to buy a few cheap bits to do it, the rest is all in the kit.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda racer View Post
if you are simply after a fun, good looking car ( i mean ,you were considering a GT40, not a cardbox car !) to bash in the street, why not choose a mini ?
As the M05 is being released, M03s are going from really cheap to dirty cheap !
Plus, you can get them rtr.

if you intend to get specifically a touring car, i'd also go for the barebone TA05. It's virtually unbreakable in stock form , easy to drive, difficult to mess up.
+1 too :P! I've only ever broken my Ta05 once, and that was a sheared screw. It's been smashed into a kerb at full speed (yes, I bash my racer!) and survived fine. I also jumped it 5 feet in the air (by accident, honest!) and it survived. It also looks really good. Don't get a cyclone S, they break really easily, and you have to buy the 3racing chassis upgrade ($70 ish) to get it up to the level of durability the TA05 has.

It's also pretty fast and very easy to drive.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The HPI E-10 would be fine for playing around on the street or drifting, but really isn't a race bred car. There is very little that can be adjusted and very few option parts. Certainly better than a Radio Shack car, and HPI has some good looking bodies

If you are looking for a RTR kit from HPI, the HPI Sprint 2 is a decent option. The car is very durable because the chassis and suspension has a lot of flex. This car would be a good option for a new racer if they were running a stock class or VTA. While there are plenty of upgrade parts like carbon fiber chassis, you would be better off spending that money on a newer car if you became serious about racing. This car fits in the middle of something you can bash with and something that is adjustable enough to race seriously.

Another decent entry level car is the Tamiya TT-01. These cars are very durable. The TT-01 would be fine for bashing in the street, but could also be raced. There are plenty of upgrades and aftermarket parts available for the TT-01, but again it might be better to save that money for a better car in the future.

No matter what you buy, you should consider buying a kit. Not only will you get experience building it (and fixing it later), but you can chose what electronics to put it in. While the RTR kits might offer a good deal, usually they are bundled with cheap radios or electronics.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
The HPI E-10 would be fine for playing around on the street or drifting, but really isn't a race bred car. There is very little that can be adjusted and very few option parts. Certainly better than a Radio Shack car, and HPI has some good looking bodies

If you are looking for a RTR kit from HPI, the HPI Sprint 2 is a decent option. The car is very durable because the chassis and suspension has a lot of flex. This car would be a good option for a new racer if they were running a stock class or VTA. While there are plenty of upgrade parts like carbon fiber chassis, you would be better off spending that money on a newer car if you became serious about racing. This car fits in the middle of something you can bash with and something that is adjustable enough to race seriously.

Another decent entry level car is the Tamiya TT-01. These cars are very durable. The TT-01 would be fine for bashing in the street, but could also be raced. There are plenty of upgrades and aftermarket parts available for the TT-01, but again it might be better to save that money for a better car in the future.

No matter what you buy, you should consider buying a kit. Not only will you get experience building it (and fixing it later), but you can chose what electronics to put it in. While the RTR kits might offer a good deal, usually they are bundled with cheap radios or electronics.
No, the E10 isn't even bash worthy. the shaft slides inside the spur (When I emailed HPI they assured me my brand new shaft was broken...) and disconnects from the front, if you bump the front wheels they bend around and you loose a dogbone, and anything more than the stock motor shreds it up into little tiny plastic shavings.