R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? Bodyshell cutting

I am getting some new shells and I was wondering how everyone cuts out the wheel arches as I always seem to have trouble cutting them out?

Tips and tricks would be a great help

cheers
Jamesalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Here's what I do:

If the wheel arches are marked:
I use rounded scissors for the first cut and then sand down the rough parts (if any) with 600 grit paper until the surface finishing is perfectly smooth.

If there are no markings for wheel arches:
I place the body shell on the car, using the front wheels as a reference, then I drill holes for the body posts, and I mark the wheel axle's position on the body.
After that I attach a X Acto knife to a compass and I use it to trace the wheel markings, using the wheel's axle position and the tyre's max diameter + 2mm to draw the circle.
Once all this is done I carry on with the first part.
HTH

Last edited by panda racer; 05-17-2009 at 06:41 AM.
panda racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda racer View Post
Here's what I do:

If the wheel arches are marked:
I use rounded scissors for the first cut and then sand down the rough parts (if any) with 600 grit paper until the surface finishing is perfectly smooth.

If there are no markings for wheel arches:
I place the body shell on the car, using the front wheels as a reference, then I drill holes for the body posts, and I mark the wheel axle's position on the body.
After that I attach a X Acto knife to a compass and I use it to trace the wheel markings, using the wheel's axle position and the tyre's max diameter + 2mm to draw the circle.
Once all this is done I carry on with the first part.
HTH
Using the factory marked wheel wells doesn't guarantee the body will fit on the wheels properly, so I always first do a fit and eyeball where I would think the wheels would sit best, drill the bodypost holes and then follow on from there as explained above in the second paragraph. I use an Olfa compass. I then try fit the body and enlarge the wheel wells until I am satisfied the body won't catch in the wheels especially the front at full lock either way. I use for this operation a sanding drum on a drill press, so edges end up smooth as silk.

Tamiya bodyshells are very good quality in this respect and normally you can cut straight away as per their markings, but when using a non-Tamiya chassis it is worth a check especially for the body posts.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Ream out body post holes, cut lower portion of body to desired height, mount body on car (with correct wheels on it). I then use a circle template (like a draftsman would use) to mark the desired diameter centered over the axle. You can then either cut the wheel arches out or wait until after painting. I've seen some guys glue sandpaper on an old wheel and chuck that in a dremel to sand the wheel arches. I always round the sharp points (where the circle you cut intersects the lower edge of the body) with scissors, so that they don't slice your tire when you hit something.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for wheel arches i use a Ofna circle cutter on HPI shells. other shells with no center indent i scour it with my cutter (Ofna) then tear away, just be real carefull scouring as the blade gets offline. i then finish with dremel sander to even it out.
freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I use this.