R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H
Default anyone know where to find these gears for shaft driven touring car?

hi guys,
i'm just looking around for these gears..no i'm not trying to replace gears on my car... but since this is a big forum, maybe someone might know where to get these. if anyone can help me find these, i'd be very appreciative! gears are 1:10 touring car.

im looking for a 18t and 13t input gear
and a 42t and a 39t (found) diff gear

Last edited by Valentin.H; 05-17-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Tech Elite

39t gear found

but i am still open for suggestions! would be awsome if i could find these gears together (like 18 & 39, 13 & 42 etc etc)
Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you let us know for what make and model of car??

Tc4? There's a bunch of shaft drivin cars what should we be looking for
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Those look like gears from a Tamiya Evolution series shaft drive car.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Tech Elite

all of these gears are off different shaft driven cars. i'm trying to mod the drivetrain so the front is underdriven and the rear is overdriven (drifting thing)

so i'm not really going for "certain make" but im trying to go for number of teeth and ratios
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
Tech Elite

bumperoo come on guys =D
Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru View Post
all of these gears are off different shaft driven cars. i'm trying to mod the drivetrain so the front is underdriven and the rear is overdriven (drifting thing)

so i'm not really going for "certain make" but im trying to go for number of teeth and ratios
You are one serious drifter my friend, I like it.

I did not even know this was an option. If it is, I would like to change the internal ratio of my TC4. Are different gears available?

--pakk
Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
hi guys,
i'm just looking around for these gears..no i'm not trying to replace gears on my car... but since this is a big forum, maybe someone might know where to get these. if anyone can help me find these, i'd be very appreciative! gears are 1:10 touring car.

im looking for a 18t and 13t input gear
and a 42t and a 39t (found) diff gear

Bottom right gear looks like it's from a Duratrax Vendetta.
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Yokomo SD cars use a 40/17 crown/pinion setup.

Your idea might work but I have experienced a problem with this sort of idea. I have used Losi pulleys on my touring car to overdrive the front (41 front/42 rear) and the end result was that the diff balls enlarged their holes and eventually the pulley became useless because the plastic flared out and rubbed on the diff plates.

I think you should go for a minimum overdrive/underdrive ratio (one tooth difference on the crown). One tooth difference on the pinion is too much. If you already found the 39 tooth crown this would be a good first test to do, using the Yok pinion/crown on the front and the 39 crown with a Yok pinion on the rear. Thsi will give you a ratio of 2.2941 rear to 2.3529 front.

But all this is somewhat academic since in drifting you want to break loose so fdr doesn't mean much anyway.

Even so, you might encounter gear mesh problems because I am not sure the pitch is the same on all these gears.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
You are one serious drifter my friend, I like it.

I did not even know this was an option. If it is, I would like to change the internal ratio of my TC4. Are different gears available?

--pakk
yes there are different gears that can be used, but not specifically made for tc4. you have to use gears from different chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Yokomo SD cars use a 40/17 crown/pinion setup.

Your idea might work but I have experienced a problem with this sort of idea. I have used Losi pulleys on my touring car to overdrive the front (41 front/42 rear) and the end result was that the diff balls enlarged their holes and eventually the pulley became useless because the plastic flared out and rubbed on the diff plates.

I think you should go for a minimum overdrive/underdrive ratio (one tooth difference on the crown). One tooth difference on the pinion is too much. If you already found the 39 tooth crown this would be a good first test to do, using the Yok pinion/crown on the front and the 39 crown with a Yok pinion on the rear. Thsi will give you a ratio of 2.2941 rear to 2.3529 front.

But all this is somewhat academic since in drifting you want to break loose so fdr doesn't mean much anyway.

Even so, you might encounter gear mesh problems because I am not sure the pitch is the same on all these gears.
that small 1 tooth change will not be enough to accomplish what i need the gears for. the gears are actually for some friends of mine that run shaft driven cars, and well, the problem you brought up should not be a problem due to the fact that these cars will be running spools in the rear and oneways up front. the purpose of these gears are to allow the car to have more over-steer, and to allow not only MORE counter steer, but to allow counter to be held. thus making the drifting much much more realistic.

see here for what i mean by "counter-steer" drifting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czuBpcuOa8o

as for FDR, FDR is and can be pretty crucial to drifting also, the FDR of the car greatly influences how the car reacts when it is going sideways, and drift initiation. we aren't just random bashers that throw whatever into our cars
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Granted I don't know much about drifting. It would be interesting to see the results of your experiment. Are the guys in the video you linked running a setup similar to what you want to build?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Granted I don't know much about drifting. It would be interesting to see the results of your experiment. Are the guys in the video you linked running a setup similar to what you want to build?
well, i wont be building a countersteer car soon...i'm searching this stuff for a friend of mine. the car(s) in the video are a bunch of my fellow drifters that have already built their countersteer cars, but with belt driven. belt is more popular for the simplicity of swapping pulleys. there are a few with shaft driven overdrive, but im sure more will try it if i can find these gears so they dont have to spend the $50 (some guy on another forum is trying to sell these specific gears for $50!!)
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
Tech Elite

There are companies on the web who sell gearboxes like that and I suppose they have various gear ratios to play with. The guy from Romania with the newly built car (Hyro) has bought his gearboxes off a company like this. Perhaps you can get in touch with him and find out.

But I thought all drift cars were drifting like that (counter steer is known as opposite lock downunder) without any need for a special overdrive/underdrive drivetrain. There's a great drift club here in Adelaide with their own website and track and you can find their youtube videos and see. Hobby Habbit is the shop name. Look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PXcpsbCyo

Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
There are companies on the web who sell gearboxes like that and I suppose they have various gear ratios to play with. The guy from Romania with the newly built car (Hyro) has bought his gearboxes off a company like this. Perhaps you can get in touch with him and find out.

But I thought all drift cars were drifting like that (counter steer is known as opposite lock downunder) without any need for a special overdrive/underdrive drivetrain. There's a great drift club here in Adelaide with their own website and track and you can find their youtube videos and see. Hobby Habbit is the shop name. Look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PXcpsbCyo
hmm, maybe ill look into that gearbox company. we'll see

yes, drift cars do counter like that, but the counter isnt held, so it doesnt look like the real thing. sometimes, r/cs are forced to turn INTO the corner mid drift, when have you seen that on a 1:1?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
hmm, maybe ill look into that gearbox company. we'll see

yes, drift cars do counter like that, but the counter isnt held, so it doesnt look like the real thing. sometimes, r/cs are forced to turn INTO the corner mid drift, when have you seen that on a 1:1?
I have noticed that indeed, but am not sure the only way to drift with opposite lock is overdriving the front. Real cars (since you mentioned them) don't need it, so there must be another way. I suppose more power and/or a bias in the front to rear grip could help.