R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2002, 01:59 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Setting up a Car

What do most pros use to set up there camber, toe-in, etc on their cars? Do they use something like the Hudy Setup System or do they just use a couple of gauges?
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 02:44 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Re: Setting up a Car

Quote:
Originally posted by rccarracer
What do most pros use to set up there camber, toe-in, etc on their cars? Do they use something like the Hudy Setup System or do they just use a couple of gauges?
I have since a month or a little more an integy set-up station. It rocks. Comparing with my previous hudy setup is by far of better quality.

Hudy boys: switch to a better material. The plastic that made your setup boards, stinks a lot! is very pretty, but in the usability loses a lot of points, specially with 'messy categories' like TC Gas. The fuel attacks the plastic in few seconds. I prefeer the sturdy and good looking aluminium from Integy.

A setup board is one of the best investments you can do on helping yourself to setup better your car.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
Joe
Tech Regular

Corse-R: The Hudy is just fine for me! I don't see why you don't like it for electric, my plastic doesn't flex at all. I can understand the messy nitro crap hurting it though!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 02:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Corse-R: The Hudy is just fine for me! I don't see why you don't like it for electric, my plastic doesn't flex at all. I can understand the messy nitro crap hurting it though!
Joe: Simply take a quick look on the Integy Setup station and you'll see what I do (I have the Hudy and the Integy, and the quality differences are quite noticeable).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 02-12-2002, 05:06 PM   #5
Tech Master

I have an Integy setup kit for touring car and a Hudy for on-road. I like the fact that I can toss the Integy stuff in my toolbox and not worry about it getting all scratched up and hard to read. Each works well, but the Integy is quite a bit cheaper than the Hudy.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:12 AM   #6
Tech Regular

boy that sure is funny all of the 1/8 racers I have ever heard of use the Hudy stuff, and that is with 30%fuel. Get your facts straight before dissing on a product.
IKE
FoamDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 04:25 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by FoamDonuts
boy that sure is funny all of the 1/8 racers I have ever heard of use the Hudy stuff, and that is with 30%fuel. Get your facts straight before dissing on a product.
Foamdonuts.

All the products I talk about is by the fact I've owned, I've tested or I've suffered it. In fact I own the Hudy 1/10 touring setup station and comparing Hudy setup with the Integy is crap.

I let myne to a friend to setup their car and when they returned me all the metacrylate parts (well, all of them that were touched by fuel, were attacked, creating an ugly matte effect). I don't have anything to the rest of hudy tools, that In fact I use much of them, but their setup station is the worst.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:30 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

YEAH..... Hudy is the best... their price aren't cheap but you can't match their superb quality...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:53 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have the Hudy setup and I use it for both electric and nitro. I have never had a problem with the fuel attacking any of the parts. I have tried other systems and I feel that the Hudy is by far the best system out there.
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Coarse- not dissing, but maybe you should have charged your freind for the system.... I personnally wouldn't have let him use it until he cleaned his car up!!! and if you aren't cleaning your car then set-up really doesn't matter!!! IMHO

I bought the Integy because I really didn't have much access to the hudy, besides I knew with the aluminum plates there was little chance of it being damaged.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:15 AM   #11
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R

Foamdonuts.

All the products I talk about is by the fact I've owned, I've tested or I've suffered it. In fact I own the Hudy 1/10 touring setup station and comparing Hudy setup with the Integy is crap.

I let myne to a friend to setup their car and when they returned me all the metacrylate parts (well, all of them that were touched by fuel, were attacked, creating an ugly matte effect). I don't have anything to the rest of hudy tools, that In fact I use much of them, but their setup station is the worst.
Are you sure your friend didn't get any cleaning agent onto the Hudy? I would be surprised if 'fuel' did that because like FoamDonuts says... a lot of 1/8 guys use the Hudy!

You can make the Hudy a lot easier to read by running a permenant marker over the markings and then cleaning (quickly!!) with a thinner. The ink stays in the markings.

The one thing that a setup system will eliminate are problems with wobble wheels. Also gauges tend to read the camber off the sides of the rubber tires since most tires will be slightly wider than the rims when mounted. This does not lead to a very accurate reading.

The one thing I like about the Hudy is that the markings are facing each other, on the same plane, so you do not get any paralax error when you are reading it!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:20 AM   #12
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Heck, I tend to use various gauges to do my set up, and it tends to come out just fine. I set up my Corally using basically a thick glass table top(to ensure everything was flat)an RPM camber gauge, and self made ride height gauge, and an inexpensive pair of calipers. I then put the car on a friends HUDY set up system, and all settings were proved true to my measurements.

What makes the set up systems better than my way, is that they have everything right there in one package, instead of a gauge for this and a gauge for that.

But, still I don't think that justifies the price some of these companies charge for those systems. Not when you can get an accurate setup using individual gauges.

But, thats just my opinion.