R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
NitroJohnnyD,
You say that your problem is solved when the caps are removed, maybe the caps are bad. Try a different manufacuter's caps. Glitching can also occur from improper motor maintenance. Try cutting the comm and replacing the brushes for new ones.
I just tried the same motor (Chameleon2) that was glitching with the caps. I removed the caps and the car was perfect. I put 3 new caps with tiny leads on and tested it, GLITCH MONSTER! I took them off and tried it again, runs perfect.

And my motors were fresh for this past weekend. Comms were fresh and Reedy 767 brushes installed.

This is really bizarre!
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroJohnnyD
I just tried the same motor (Chameleon2) that was glitching with the caps. I removed the caps and the car was perfect. I put 3 new caps with tiny leads on and tested it, GLITCH MONSTER! I took them off and tried it again, runs perfect.

And my motors were fresh for this past weekend. Comms were fresh and Reedy 767 brushes installed.

This is really bizarre!
Try contacting the manufacturer with the problem. Maybe the ESC is has some problems or an update. I know there were some updates to the GT-7.
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #18
Tech Adept

THANKS!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Actually according to the novak diagram, shouldn't the leads that people have been stressing be attached to the motor housing instead of the endbell? Just curious.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Actually according to the novak diagram, shouldn't the leads that people have been stressing be attached to the motor housing instead of the endbell? Just curious.
Splitting hairs as far as I am concerned there. The screw that the caps are soldered to also attaches to the timing ring which is attached to the can. 6 of one half a dozen of the other in my opinion. Besides, I disassemble my motors every race for inspection, soldering to the can can be a little more tedious during disassembly everytime not to mention that all the movement & heat can't do the caps any good.

In addition I have a couple motors that I have soldered direct to the can, the car still glitches like mad. And just so you guys know, I have tried every motor in my arsenal which is a total of 7 right now and they all glitch badly.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:26 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Question - Does it glitch instantly or does this start to happen after a few laps(once the motor has warmed up)?
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Question - Does it glitch instantly or does this start to happen after a few laps(once the motor has warmed up)?
Doggy,

It glitches the instant you try to accelerate. Cold or hot. I will say that it seems (I stress seems) to get worse the longer you run, but I suspect that may have something to do with the ESC heating and possibly going into a safe mode of some sort.

The car just absolutely goes nuts on the throttle. You can slowly get up to a desired speed and hold it there, the glitching mellows out a little when cruising, but the moment you mash the throttle, it goes nuts and same for slowing down. If you slow down gradually, the glitching lessens somewhat, if you grab a handful of brakes, it goes mad.

Do you have an idea?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:03 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

NitroJohnnyD - No I'm not sure, I was having trouble with motor yesterday at the track. When I ran an old kyosho lemans stock(sealed can motor) I had no trouble what so ever. But when I installed my race motor(mvp with 767's) I had glitching that got worse as the motor heated up, it was like pulsing(or jittering) while accellerating. The motor was properly run in brushes aligned comm trued with 3 caps(same layout as you but much shorter wires). It didn't effect steering though. It could'nt have been the radio since it worked fine with the sealed can motor.

Anybody know if the 767 compound has been changed slightly? I've been running them for a few months and they've been great except for yesterday...

This happened before and after a full throttle hit where a young kid parked his car half way down the front straight. After the hit the steering was still not effected, like would happen if the crystal had been damaged.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 12-19-2003 at 05:11 PM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:37 PM   #24
Tech Regular

when the motor vibrates could they hit?? is it just when the armature is turning???
FriedDiff is offline   Reply With Quote