R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Wolf:

Yep, I meant the Sprints.

Do you run in stock and/or mod? Do you recommend a different compound for use in stock?

Thanks,

Joe
yokomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:32 AM   #32
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Wolf, what echo inserts are you looking for? I use the red's on the carpet but not pavement. We have to wait until it gets warm up here.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 12:06 PM   #33
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Would you generally run a higher temp rated sorex tyre, when compared to say a Take off???
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 12:32 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Yok > I only run Stock. I have never run Mod, so i cant answer that question, sorry. Just Stick with 32 or 36 for Sorex at SoCal.

Kraig > that is the million dollar question, i have asked this before, but i dont think anyone knows. Check out this link and tell me which ones you used. http://www.powers-international.com/...ex-english.htm

MattW > Good question, what kind of track do you race on? For the chilly time in SoCal I have been using the 22 and 27 with great success. I just tried TakeOff so i have not tried them in the summer yet. But i will try the 32 and 37 if I can.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:59 PM   #35
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

The track i am thinking of at the moment is very fast flat tarmac (ashfelt). Generally i would run Take off CS22's there (it's cold over here this time of year!) but tried Sorex 24R last week. I have a set of take off's with aprox 15 runs on them and very mimimal wear. However the Sorex's didn't fare as well!!, well they woudln't have lasted the whole meeting the fronts looking very bad after 2 runs.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:20 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

i've had good luck w/ the sorex tires, but i've gotten a couple that wore prematurely. i had a set of 32's that wore a hole in the center of the tire. it kind of looked like someone took an exacto and sliced a hole in it. i know it wasn't the way i was driving because the rest of the tires had barely any wear. i'm sure it was just a defect because both the 36's and 32's have lasted through lots of practice and racing. funny thing though, i know the 36's are rated for warm/hot temperature, but i've been using 'em through most of the winter. the 32's just seemed to have a little too much grip for me.
diesel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:03 PM   #37
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

deisel: I think that may be a result of something Sorex told Civic91 when he contacted them about premature tire failure. They said there should be a small gap between the tire and insert. I guess if the tire and insert don't have this gap in there, the tire will rupture right where the inner belting overlaps itself.

I just got some 28r's and mounted them with Sorex type B thin inserts, and it left the tire with a very small gap between the tire and insert. I guess thats what they want it to be like.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:11 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
deisel: I think that may be a result of something Sorex told Civic91 when he contacted them about premature tire failure. They said there should be a small gap between the tire and insert. I guess if the tire and insert don't have this gap in there, the tire will rupture right where the inner belting overlaps itself.

This is true. I got a set of 28Rs and for some reason the left front tire would not sit flat in this one tiny spot. After about 5 attemts to get it to sit...i blew it off and left it (some imprefection in the tire or insert..). Well, after two runs on the new tires a hole had already worn down where there was this lump...ONLY 2 RUNS!!!This was cause by exactly what Darkseid said...no gap between insert and tire. 40 bucks down the drain . This only happened once, and I have 5 sets of sorex tires. Make sure there is a gap or you are wasting your time...and money.
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:19 PM   #39
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mondena: like I said, CIVIC91 is the one who told me. I just hate that people had to find this out the hard way. In Sorex's defense though, if they only test their tires with their own inserts, theres really no way they could have know about it ahead of time.

But, now that they know, they should have something in the tire packet to warn people about this little snafu.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:07 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by yokomojo
Wolf:

Yep, I meant the Sprints.

Do you run in stock and/or mod? Do you recommend a different compound for use in stock?

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe,
I run at so-cal also. I pretty much only run mod (and pro-mod when I feel adventurous). The sprints are good but have a short life. The Sorex remains much more consistent.

For me, the 36R seems to have great traction almost regardless of temp. Besides, Mod motors heat up the tire quickly anyways. For inserts I've tried Yok firm, HPI red, HPI green, and HPI blue.

The Yokomo firm insert did not leave much of an airgap and I don't think it had the traction of any of the HPI inserts.

The HPI insert was good, but the car seemed to squirm a little with such a soft insert.

The HPI green is dialed with incredible tire life.

The HPI blue had slightly less steering and less traction than HPI green, but tire life is even more phenomenal.

I have not tried 32R yet. Perhaps, I might have to borrow Wolfman's when he get's a set glued up.
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:05 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to D_Ames

linger,

What kind of wheels did you use for these tires? I use Ofna wheels and the Yokomo firm inserts didn't leave an air gap as you said, but I also tried the HPI green and they don't leave an air gap either. They also feel much stiffer than the Yokomo's.
D_Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:09 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Linger:

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing 32R with HPI greens will work for stock. I'll glue some up on Saturday and you can try them out.

Thanks,

Joe
yokomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:10 PM   #43
Tech Regular

What would be a good combo for a high traction, flat, permanent track? Sorex 36Rs (hot weather, sunny) and what insert? Also, any recommendations on wheels?

PS, for modified motors.
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:21 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rcracingfreak
linger,

What kind of wheels did you use for these tires? I use Ofna wheels and the Yokomo firm inserts didn't leave an air gap as you said, but I also tried the HPI green and they don't leave an air gap either. They also feel much stiffer than the Yokomo's.
Good point. The popular strong and stiff OFNA rims don't work with Sorex tires. (They did work great with the sprints though)The OFNA rims are inch up and have a larger diameter than "standard" rims. Thus no airgap and NO traction.

Speedtech, yokomo, HPI, proline, tamiya and sorex all make rims that work with Sorex tires. Right now my favorite rims are Tamiya (surprised eh?). Unlike most of the rims listed above, they are stiff AND durable.
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:32 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Ling > Not a problem trying the 32r, i think i am going to go with HPI Red or Sorex Medium Thin.

The problem right now is that HPI is moving and everyone is out of them, but I think i have a place that has them.

For outside I have used my 36r with the HPI Green insert and they were stuck. I know of some pro drivers that like the echo better. I think Red, but not sure.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote