R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default What platform would be the fastest for on street speed runs?

Hey all-

I am thinking of setting up an electric street car for speed. This would be purely for playing on street or in empty parking lots. Looking for something that would put my rustler VXL to shame, if there is such a thing. Would any of the touring or pan cars do the trick? Need 70+mph with stability and reliability.

Thanks,
Iaanr
iaanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You're most likely going to want either a 235mm pan or a shaft-drive TC. The belts on alot of the more popular TC's might tear, and the 200mm pans wouldn't be as stable at high speed.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Put a what to shame??? A VXL!!!??? Thats funny, I could stack some batteries on my nephews radio shack car and smoke a VXL Rustler! Seriously, the VXL brushless system is pretty good, but a Rusty is not meant for those speeds and doesnt do very well. Get a TC4, pretty much any Mamba system, decent batteries, and there wont be a Traxxas around that can even come close. Sorry, didnt mean to put down your Rusty. I have a few myself, but they are not for speed.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
Put a what to shame??? A VXL!!!??? Thats funny, I could stack some batteries on my nephews radio shack car and smoke a VXL Rustler! Seriously, the VXL brushless system is pretty good, but a Rusty is not meant for those speeds and doesnt do very well. Get a TC4, pretty much any Mamba system, decent batteries, and there wont be a Traxxas around that can even come close. Sorry, didnt mean to put down your Rusty. I have a few myself, but they are not for speed.
Yeah I was thinking of going the TC4 route. That seems to be the best choice I know of right now. Didn't know if there was something newer and better or if I should go with a pan car or modify something 8th scale. Any other suggestions?
iaanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaanr View Post
Yeah I was thinking of going the TC4 route. That seems to be the best choice I know of right now. Didn't know if there was something newer and better or if I should go with a pan car or modify something 8th scale. Any other suggestions?
With a shaft drive car you could fit one of the new 1/8 motor/speedo combinations like a Tekin rx8. Bit of dremel work on the chassis and a slightly longer motor would slot right in. Just need to find a spur gear the same pitch as the pinions for these motors.

I've seen 1/8 scale buggy do backflips from this kind of power. Imagine that in a 1/10 tc!!

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Tech Elite

There is newer cars out there, and maybe marginally better, but for the price?? Not gonna beat it, I dont care who chimes in with what. You may find a slightly cheaper car, or one that handles slightly better, but try finding parts as easy. Parts will be needed if you are going fast, no way around it. I dont think you will find a car that needs less upgrades to handle mega power, and I know you cant find parts as easy for anything out there that will work half as good.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I just noticed you said something about modifying an 1/8th scale. That is another good choice, but will be very expensive. If you have a cool grand to spend you can have a really sweet ride. I personally would love to do this, I love 1/8th scale stuff.