R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   World's control tire... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/2957-worlds-control-tire.html)

Darkseid 02-09-2002 06:41 AM

World's control tire...

I stopped by the Team Orion link on the homepage before coming into the message boards, and was caught by surprise. Team Orion announcing that their TC tires and inserts have been choosen to be the World's control tire.

Now can someone explain to me how, with so many proven tires around, how Orion ended up being the tire provider for the World's? What, their tire line is all of what, a couple months old? Has anyone even tried their TC tires or inserts yet? What did Orion do to pull this off? Did nobody else offer to be the control tire provider?

I can see how this would level the playing field if no one has used them very much. And I know some people weren't too happy about the whole Yokomo tires/Yokomo home track advantage that some people said Yokomo had at the last World's. But, I mean come on, aren't these tires a bit new and untested for the World's control tire?:weird:

Modena AL 02-09-2002 07:21 AM

I didn't even know Team Orion had tires....LOL :D

If their tires are halfway as good as their battereies, I'll be picking up a whole lot of them :D

Darkseid 02-09-2002 07:29 AM

Mondena: Shame on you! We have to visit this sites sponsors so that they will keep sponsoring the site. I check out the Team Orion news link on the homepage, just about everyday I come here.

gotta support those site sponsors!

patcollins 02-09-2002 09:02 AM

If there not that good so what, everyone will be using them.

Peter Busch 02-09-2002 10:27 AM

It would make it more fair for everyone if nobody has ever used them. I never even new they made tires.

fatdoggy 02-09-2002 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Modena AL
I didn't even know Team Orion had tires....LOL :D

Originally posted by spongebob
I never even new they made tires.
Me either :weird: :weird:

wilson10 02-09-2002 01:28 PM

The Orion/JB tires and inserts are HUGE overseas!! Check the results for some over the pond racing and see what ALL the fast guys are using. I would bet money thats WHY they are the tire for the WORLDS. Just my thought. It has NOTHING to do with Orion really. They are technically called JB tires. The inserts look trick as hell and I can't wait to try some myself. Looks like a good product

MattW 02-09-2002 02:54 PM

That is true, they are badged as Orion tyres. Ultimately though i think they owe a large part to Hot Bodies and i beleive to a slightly lesser degree JB.

They are still new though, they have been available in the UK since just before Christmas although i haven't tried any yet.

Modena AL 02-09-2002 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Darkseid
Mondena: Shame on you! We have to visit this sites sponsors so that they will keep sponsoring the site. I check out the Team Orion news link on the homepage, just about everyday I come here.

gotta support those site sponsors!

Im sorry :(. I am a horrible monster...and I pray for my death. I'm gonna check out the sponsor sites now. :)

Darkseid 02-09-2002 03:53 PM

Mondena: man, you are silly as hell! LOL!

wilson10: thanks, thats what I wanted to know. I just thought they lanched a line of tires and then all of a sudden, their the world's tire supplier.

patcollins: that wasn't my point. My point was that these tires are(as you can tell by the responses here) not very well known. I was just looking for some reasoning for why they picked them.

It is good to see that they are going with control tires and inserts. That should all but eliminate the usual whinning that has followed the last couple of World's. "oh boo-hoo, the yadayadayada insert was the hot ticket, and the onsite shop didn't have enough for everybody".

But, as we know, the best drivers in the World will find something to complain about anyway. Maybe their will be a hot ticket "Wheel" this year!:ha: :ha: :ha:

robk 02-09-2002 11:39 PM

pREDICTIONS FOR FAST GUYS:
Hara hpi/orion
Steenari losi/orion
Umino hpi/orion

get the picture.....?

Corse-R 02-10-2002 01:34 AM

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Me either :weird: :weird:
If Orion on the first made batteries and motors, why not doing some 'other stuff' (It's easy: pick a tyre manufacturer and got an agreement to modify their molds to include their logo, as much as cheap, better for them). I haven't tested their tyres (and, I don't want to test, I'm very happy with my actual tyres and I don't plan to switch).

If ProLine/Sorex/Take Off don't make motors or batteries, why hells a battery matcher goes into the business of tyres?:weird:

Corse-R 02-10-2002 01:40 AM

Originally posted by robk
pREDICTIONS FOR FAST GUYS:
Hara hpi/orion
Steenari losi/orion
Umino hpi/orion
get the picture.....?

Hara hpi/orion.... LOL! we need to see those, specially if running with their Pro3. I bet for the Yokomo/Losi/Associated A-main. Sorry if anyone don't agree. HPI needs a much better car than their Pro3 (by far, the worst car that made until now). At the last Euro TC, some Pro3 drivers were seen pushing to some Pro2 drivers trying to buy their cars or, at least exchanging for their 'top of the line' Pro3.

robk 02-10-2002 11:58 AM

corse r i'm no fan of the pro 3- it s the orion deal that matters. Usually the team drivers of the handout tire tend to be really fast..

Corse-R 02-10-2002 01:01 PM

Originally posted by robk
corse r i'm no fan of the pro 3- it s the orion deal that matters. Usually the team drivers of the handout tire tend to be really fast..
Ummm... I'm not really sure about this. Think about this:

Since all the people knows what kind of tyre should run on the worlds, everyone who wants 'to say something' on the worlds should be burning tyre sets like mad (think on a big number, say 12 - 15 sets each week.). For a serious team who are pursuing the title isn't hard to support this tyre consuption for a pilot.

Getting experience with a tyre is a matter of packs and testing on very very different wheater situations, but those big guns should train on simmilar conditions who get on the worlds. Is not that difficult. Specially when some have been on those track and tested them.