Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ROAR Announcement >

ROAR Announcement

ROAR Announcement

Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey t-bar fans. Here's something squeezed from the grey matter. Yes, the link guys are doing just fine with the announcement of 1C lipo, but for those still clinging to t-bar ideals, here's a little proto test. This car has already tested on asphalt. Carpet testing will be this Wed. The car is sound. Sorting out the electronics is talking some time.

Stay tuned!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails ROAR Announcement-p4200012.jpg   ROAR Announcement-p4210012.jpg   ROAR Announcement-p4210018.jpg   ROAR Announcement-p4210017.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You mean the authorities in your area actually enforce the lipo sack rule? Everywhere I've been (except my local club, which I have authority in), guys substitute a lipo sack for a carbon chassis. It's a little unnerving, because if they so blatantly defy a rule that has no affect on performance, what will they do with the rules that limit performance?

See you at IIC, Joe?

-Adam
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
This would mean that racers using this pack would have less available power than those using the one piece 12th scale pack that is 5000+ at 40C.
What battery is this, did I miss an announcement from SMC somewhere? I thought the current 1s 1/12 LiPo battery was 4000mah at 25C...
Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I didn't know this tread was for World Gt? Any way I've got an old car designed with the batteries down the middle a U bar that works. Call Rick Jordan as I've probably got the only one left around.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Now that I went a page back to see what all the talk is about. I've been running a single cell SMC lipo ever since they came out in my World GT car with a T bar. Mounted like the 1/12th as shown in the picture a few post back. The car is .03 oz heavier on one side- is that really a big difference? My car went from 4 cells at 41 oz to 36 oz and that includes a 200ma reciever pack and voltage regulator.That was with the same body Protoform Alfa.The car I'm driving is old and not made anymore- Bolink Scorpion ( the last 200mm pan car they made).I tried to get this class going before the current trend started. As for links cars I had my fill of them back in the days. I tried them in both the old wide cars and The CRC F1 car.
I'll stay with what I've got until someone builds the car I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
What battery is this, did I miss an announcement from SMC somewhere? I thought the current 1s 1/12 LiPo battery was 4000mah at 25C...

I'm with KELLY!!! What battery is this??? I'm about to spend $$$ buying batteries and prefer to wait if this is coming out or is out

Steve
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Steve that is the same SMC single cell lipo they had out for months. He's just it upside down.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up Great Work!

Firstly, congrats to ROAR on taking this step. I cant wait until round cells are just a memory.

I do have some questions regarding the specs of the pack however:

1) Is the SMC pack "the size" that all other packs must adhere to?
2) Does that therefore mean that 4000mah will be the limit of capacity?

While I can see the decision to go lipo being great for spec classes in the states, we race nothing but mod down under and testing has shown that 4000mah isn't enough to run a low wind motor for 8 mins. While we don't race to ROAR rules down here, we do normally use the approved battery list, so that a capacity restriction of 4000mah either directly or through case size could negatively impact the class in other countries.

FYI I don't think 4000mah misses by much, a 5000mah pack should be sufficient to run a 3.5 (giving similar RPM as a [email protected]) for 8 mins from what I understand
Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

BullFROG I 'm refering to post 50 by Danny of SMC Fame?

He mentions a 5000mah 40C single cell lipo.

Hope to see ya in December again. Enjoyed racing with ya last year.

Steve
Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Hi steve - now I know who you are. That was the race I got my SMC pack. I can tell you what you'll have to do to almost make the World Gt competitive against the others running the 13.5 and round cells. Nothing until everyone goes that way.I've tried a number of things but I'm still slower. Unless the new cell Danny at Smc is talking about is 7.4 volts It won't make any difference to me. See you in December.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Firstly, congrats to ROAR on taking this step. I cant wait until round cells are just a memory.

I do have some questions regarding the specs of the pack however:

1) Is the SMC pack "the size" that all other packs must adhere to?
2) Does that therefore mean that 4000mah will be the limit of capacity?

While I can see the decision to go lipo being great for spec classes in the states, we race nothing but mod down under and testing has shown that 4000mah isn't enough to run a low wind motor for 8 mins. While we don't race to ROAR rules down here, we do normally use the approved battery list, so that a capacity restriction of 4000mah either directly or through case size could negatively impact the class in other countries.

FYI I don't think 4000mah misses by much, a 5000mah pack should be sufficient to run a 3.5 (giving similar RPM as a [email protected]) for 8 mins from what I understand
So if 4000 mah isn't enough now what did you guys do before we had 4200 and 4400 mah round cells? I can remember racing mod 12th with 3000 and 3300 mah cells. You had to drive the pack, and make time. It was part of the race and was the lure for 12th racing for many. Now we just strap in the lowest wind motor we can hold on to or to match the guy next to you and it's full strapped 8 minutes. Sure would be nice to take a step back from full strap mod racing and get back to 12th mod racing as it always was until the last 3 or 4 years.

BTW ...... there are no capacity limits in ROAR battery approvals. The case size is the limitter and they have been constructed to the ROAR rules for a 1s lipo battery case. The 40c 5000mah packs you are hearing of are already here and approved. Thunderpower and Fantom have approved 40c 5000mah packs approved on the ROAR list, SMC has one in the works that will be out soon and the rumour is that Reedy will be creating one as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
So if 4000 mah isn't enough now what did you guys do before we had 4200 and 4400 mah round cells? I can remember racing mod 12th with 3000 and 3300 mah cells. You had to drive the pack, and make time. It was part of the race and was the lure for 12th racing for many. Now we just strap in the lowest wind motor we can hold on to or to match the guy next to you and it's full strapped 8 minutes. Sure would be nice to take a step back from full strap mod racing and get back to 12th mod racing as it always was until the last 3 or 4 years.

BTW ...... there are no capacity limits in ROAR battery approvals. The case size is the limitter and they have been constructed to the ROAR rules for a 1s lipo battery case. The 40c 5000mah packs you are hearing of are already here and approved. Thunderpower and Fantom have approved 40c 5000mah packs approved on the ROAR list, SMC has one in the works that will be out soon and the rumour is that Reedy will be creating one as well.
Really, I've checked out both TP and Fantom sites and neither has a 1s lipo in their product lists that I could find.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Chris ...... they're on the approval listing, ROAR approved lipo battery list and for them to be on the list they have to show some proof of availability with a min number of units in stock in the US, at Thunderpower. I did speak with Jim Skinner today and he told me they should be out to distributors this or next week.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
Chris ...... they're on the approval listing, ROAR approved lipo battery list and for them to be on the list they have to show some proof of availability with a min number of units in stock in the US, at Thunderpower. I did speak with Jim Skinner today and he told me they should be out to distributors this or next week.
Ok thanks, I was going to pick up another SMC pack but mabey I'll wait for one of these now. I've never needed more battery than the SMC provides but the 40c might be interesting and could put back some of the punch that 1s lacks
Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Guys on my input it is regarding using the single lipo in the 1/10th world gt car and we race 5-6minutes. I can't say anything about 1/12th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.