R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
So if 4000 mah isn't enough now what did you guys do before we had 4200 and 4400 mah round cells? I can remember racing mod 12th with 3000 and 3300 mah cells. You had to drive the pack, and make time. It was part of the race and was the lure for 12th racing for many. Now we just strap in the lowest wind motor we can hold on to or to match the guy next to you and it's full strapped 8 minutes. Sure would be nice to take a step back from full strap mod racing and get back to 12th mod racing as it always was until the last 3 or 4 years.

BTW ...... there are no capacity limits in ROAR battery approvals. The case size is the limitter and they have been constructed to the ROAR rules for a 1s lipo battery case. The 40c 5000mah packs you are hearing of are already here and approved. Thunderpower and Fantom have approved 40c 5000mah packs approved on the ROAR list, SMC has one in the works that will be out soon and the rumour is that Reedy will be creating one as well.
I cant really see dumping (esp with lipos) being much of a lure these days, but I'm glad the larger capacities are legal and are coming out. Even though it might not be an aim to provide parity, it'll only help with the shift (here at least) if lipo mod cars can match the pace of the round cell runners
Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #77
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are lipo reciever packs in a 12th scale condered to be roar legal. Or must the Lipo booster from novak be used?
myrxseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

both are legal- I'd go with the booster
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrxseven View Post
Are lipo reciever packs in a 12th scale condered to be roar legal. Or must the Lipo booster from novak be used?
The booster is the easiest option w/o having to worry about your electronics. Futaba for example does not support over 6v to their receivers, so a 2s LiPo Reciever battery is 2.4v over their limit with an 8.4v charged LiPo pack.

I currently use a LiPo receiver pack in all three of my cars, but with an additional LiPo Receiver voltage regulator from Losi. Muchmore and Novak also make regulator. Only problem with this is weight, especically if you are trying to get down to the minimum class weight.

The lightest method will be to use a battery directly to the receiver if all your electronics can handle the voltage, or use the booster. Novak's booster will probably offer the most stable voltage output.

ROAR also does not require LiPo receiver packs to be charged in a LiPo sack, just the main battery powering the motor.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #80
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
The booster is the easiest option w/o having to worry about your electronics. Futaba for example does not support over 6v to their receivers, so a 2s LiPo Reciever battery is 2.4v over their limit with an 8.4v charged LiPo pack.

I currently use a LiPo receiver pack in all three of my cars, but with an additional LiPo Receiver voltage regulator from Losi. Muchmore and Novak also make regulator. Only problem with this is weight, especically if you are trying to get down to the minimum class weight.

The lightest method will be to use a battery directly to the receiver if all your electronics can handle the voltage, or use the booster. Novak's booster will probably offer the most stable voltage output.

ROAR also does not require LiPo receiver packs to be charged in a LiPo sack, just the main battery powering the motor.
Thanks you for all the great info!
myrxseven is offline   Reply With Quote