Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The current SMC 1s battery is 1s2p.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
Steve ....... ROAR won't be nudging lipo battery mfr's to create 1s lipo saddle packs. ROAR didn't nudge lipo mfr's to create 1s lipo batteries. It's not our place to mandate the creation of new products. 1s lipo batteries was a product of supply and demand.

Ruben,

I have heard that argument before and I "want" to believe it, but I just have a little bit of a hard time believing that at this point one could not be done cheaper than that. If it takes thousands of $ to do a custom case, meaning a new design then why are there as many different designs out there even within the same manufacturers?

If we could get away from the costs associated with the pack itself, I do believe you (ROAR) could play an important role, whether you guys choose to or not is another thing. For instance you could say in starting 2011 all 1/12th scale classes at Roar events must be 3.7 classes but there must be saddles included if not we would go in a different direction. What this would do is let the manufacturers work on the designs of the packs knowing that the sales would be there for them at that point. This would help the class stay strong while the conversion takes place to Lipo. However if you do nothing and keep these classes going forward then there would be little motivation to create the packs. This would not help the sport. BTW this would certainly make me consider quitting 1/12th scale altogether, which I started doing in 1980. Nothing else so far has made me think this way but this does. Something to ponder........

Thanks,
Steve Curry
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hope everyone is fine with driving a link car...
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Hope everyone is fine with driving a link car...
They don't drive too bad.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
They don't drive too bad.
Had several over the years....never liked um as much as a bar car. That's the thing is we all want different things out of a car. If I was new and I bought an AE R5 then I wouldn't think twice but I have been there done that and I like many others do perfer tbars.

Steve
Old 05-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #36
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
The current SMC 1s battery is 1s2p.
So its a single cell, but there are 2 in paralell? how is that even possible?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
There are two cells in the pack, each cell gives 3.7 volts. If wired normally, like we do for our 4 cell packs then they would have 7.4 volts. When wired the way these are wired the voltage stays at 3.7v but the capacity doubles. Does that make sense to you?

Steve
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #38
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Two cells wired in parallel to yield 3.7V with 2x the capacity, instead of 2x the voltage.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Two cells wired in parallel to yield 3.7V with 2x the capacity, instead of 2x the voltage.
I see i see...
- RCSpecialties -
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Ruben,

I have heard that argument before and I "want" to believe it, but I just have a little bit of a hard time believing that at this point one could not be done cheaper than that. If it takes thousands of $ to do a custom case, meaning a new design then why are there as many different designs out there even within the same manufacturers?

If we could get away from the costs associated with the pack itself, I do believe you (ROAR) could play an important role, whether you guys choose to or not is another thing. For instance you could say in starting 2011 all 1/12th scale classes at Roar events must be 3.7 classes but there must be saddles included if not we would go in a different direction. What this would do is let the manufacturers work on the designs of the packs knowing that the sales would be there for them at that point. This would help the class stay strong while the conversion takes place to Lipo. However if you do nothing and keep these classes going forward then there would be little motivation to create the packs. This would not help the sport. BTW this would certainly make me consider quitting 1/12th scale altogether, which I started doing in 1980. Nothing else so far has made me think this way but this does. Something to ponder........

Thanks,
Steve Curry
The entire single cell LiPo idea was driven by the market. As 2s lipos became more popular in the 1/10 classes, racers were seeing the clear advantages in using lipo, not so much performance but convenience. Racers began to experiment with using 2s lipos in 1/12 scale, but they were simply too fast. With no lipo alternative, racers began leaving 1/12 scale in droves! People didn't want to put up with the nonsense of Nickel metal Hydride cells, like going bad after not being used for a time, or worse yet exploding without warning or apparent cause.

Along came SMC with their single cell lipo idea. Now to SMC's credit they saw an opportunity and risked investing in this technology. Remember they came up with the size and capacity to fit into a 1/12 scale car. After some experimentation to work out some kinks, racers began coming back to 1/12 because now they could run lipo. Before my local track closed 1/12 scale had doubled in size with half the cars running lipo.

And at least one racer was using a t-plate car with success, mounting the battery one one side and the electronics on the other. The car ran fine like that.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
The term "single cell" is misleading and most likely derived from the misconception that 1s means single cell when it means 1 cell in series and from the fact that most 2s 7.4v packs are constructed of 2-3.7v cells wired in series to yield 7.4v.

ROAR rules allow for as many cells wired in parallel (capacity) but for only 2, or 2 sets wired in series for voltage
1s = one cell in the case delivering 3.7v.
1s2p = 2 cells in the case wired in parallel (2p) for capacity and then wired in series to deliver 3.7v. SMC 3.7v lipo is constructed in this manner.
2s = 2 cells in the case wired in series to produce 7.4v. I think the SMC 7.4v lipo batteries are this type construction.
2s2p = 4 cells in the case. 2 pair wired in series for capacity (2p) and the pairs wired in series (2s) to produce 7.4v. The Thunderpower 40c and the old Orion 4800 platinum's are of this construction

I hope this clears it up a bit.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
The term "single cell" is misleading and most likely derived from the misconception that 1s means single cell when it means 1 cell in series and from the fact that most 2s 7.4v packs are constructed of 2-3.7v cells wired in series to yield 7.4v.

ROAR rules allow for as many cells wired in parallel (capacity) but for only 2, or 2 sets wired in series for voltage
1s = one cell in the case delivering 3.7v.
1s2p = 2 cells in the case wired in parallel (2p) for capacity and then wired in series to deliver 3.7v. SMC 3.7v lipo is constructed in this manner.
2s = 2 cells in the case wired in series to produce 7.4v. I think the SMC 7.4v lipo batteries are this type construction.
2s2p = 4 cells in the case. 2 pair wired in series for capacity (2p) and the pairs wired in series (2s) to produce 7.4v. The Thunderpower 40c and the old Orion 4800 platinum's are of this construction

I hope this clears it up a bit.
100%

I was told on this forum that 2s meant 2 cell, and 1s meant 1 cell. But now that you explain it, its plain.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

My gosh... even I'm confused now.. LOL (thanks Ruben!!! )

Our team is determined to do right by the members and sometimes that means trying out new things... remember, all things ROAR are flowing and will change as the membership requests updates. Sure, it hasn't been this fast in years but a new team is on board and we are all driven to do what is best for our chosen hobby!

Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #44
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Dawn - Good Job.
ElliotCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Getting some rules out early for single cell says a lot for how far ROAR has come in the last few years.

Next maybe we can see an allowance for 5 amp charge with LiPo so that we can race on a single pack at club races. Charging at 4 amps or 3.8 for offroad is like watching paint dry and isn't proving to be an safer IMO.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote