R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Crash .... as the announcement says. No parity classes. These are separate classes. Round cell class weights will stay in the book and ROAR will be looking to go bl/lipo only at 2010 ROAR Nats.

Larry .... this isn't a dilution, there won't be lipo and round cell pan car classes at the nats. It will be either or but not both. I can see a provisional class possibly at the Paved Nats. You'll also quickly see that the 1s transition in on-road pan car is going to happen much quicker than you'd expect.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
Crash .... as the announcement says. No parity classes. These are separate classes. Round cell class weights will stay in the book and ROAR will be looking to go bl/lipo only at 2010 ROAR Nats.

Larry .... this isn't a dilution, there won't be lipo and round cell pan car classes at the nats. It will be either or but not both. I can see a provisional class possibly at the Paved Nats. You'll also quickly see that the 1s transition in on-road pan car is going to happen much quicker than you'd expect.
Thanks, Ruben!!
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'm curious to see how the bigger races of the year respond. This may be an easier transition that some believe. My fingers are crossed.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For anyone concerned about class dilution, please bear in mind that we've already learned that a 4 cell 1/12th with a 17.5 will run right around the same lap times as a single cell LipO 1/12th with a 13.5. We've been racing that mix and it has worked well. There's no reason that the two classes can't be mixed at the club level from week to week.

The 17.5 single cell class will make a GREAT entry point to 1/12... Most of the guys that were interested in 1/12 but didn't participate at my local track said it was because the 4 cell 17.5 cars were too fast. That barrier goes away with the new ROAR rule.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

We have found 3 cell nimmh and single cell Lipo to be a perfect match.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post

To Roar,

Are you guys going to strongly nudge the Lipo makers to come out with a 1 cell saddle pack lipo or did you just effectively make over 50 percent of all existing 1/12th scale cars obsolete? And yes even some GT cars too.

Please let us know what's going on there.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
For anyone concerned about class dilution, please bear in mind that we've already learned that a 4 cell 1/12th with a 17.5 will run right around the same lap times as a single cell LipO 1/12th with a 13.5. We've been racing that mix and it has worked well.
Not True - we have found that the 13.5 LiPo cars are a few tenths a lap faster.

Dawn - thanks for posting this info.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
To Roar,

Are you guys going to strongly nudge the Lipo makers to come out with a 1 cell saddle pack lipo or did you just effectively make over 50 percent of all existing 1/12th scale cars obsolete? And yes even some GT cars too.

Steve
I imagine if lipo makers truly see a 50% increase in sales potential, they will try something. From what I can tell though, a new chassis setting the battery to one side might be your best option.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
To Roar,

Steve
How would a single cell LiPo saddle pack work? Half a cell on one side and half on the other? That would truly be "optimized".
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
We have found 3 cell nimmh and single cell Lipo to be a perfect match.
for documentation's sake.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastforward View Post
How would a single cell LiPo saddle pack work? Half a cell on one side and half on the other? That would truly be "optimized".
It would be a 1s2p pack, a pair 2000mah (or whatever mah size)packs wired in parrallel to come to the same 3.7volts.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
About the same way a 3 cell NiMhi would work, except you could put the "Odd" cell in front or on the T-bar.!!

ROAR ..... WAY TO LEAD!!!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
No, it would be 2 cells, one on each side but wired in parallel. I haven't looked at a 1s lipo pack yet but I bet it has 2 cells in it. For instance, 2 2000mah cells in parallel would give you 4000mah but the same 3.7 volts.

davidka beat me to it but I'll leave it here anyway. Need to type faster
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hopefully ROAR coming out with 1s lipo rules will encourage the manufacturers to come out with a 1s2p lipo for 1/12. I think that the perception of a limited market may have held them back. That being said, a size regulation should be established for 1s2p.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
To Roar,

Steve
Steve ....... ROAR won't be nudging lipo battery mfr's to create 1s lipo saddle packs. ROAR didn't nudge lipo mfr's to create 1s lipo batteries. It's not our place to mandate the creation of new products. 1s lipo batteries was a product of supply and demand.

The biggest problem with a 1s saddle is off the shelf cells don't fit into a case size that gives us parity in capacity between 1s brick and saddle packs. With the current sizes on the market you end up well under or over the current theoretical capacity limits of the ROAR 1s case size. If a mfr wants to step and provide to ROAR a case size that will not create a disparity between the different case types ROAR would be more than happy to work wth that mfr. As of now the mfr's I've spoken with don't see a real need or demand for a saddle 1s or at least enough of a demand for it to be profitable. Custom cells cost thousands of dollars in setup fees to get done, I've been told $7,000+ to create the "right" size cell. Add to that the thousands of dollars to do the case molds and a lipo battery mfr could be into it for upwards of $10,000 before a single cell is manufactured and a battery is built or sold.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote