Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro 4 Still Competitive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At work now so i dont know my current gearing (for 27T) off hand. Can check later.

Sorry to sound like a newb but does anyone know where i can find a site buy a spur gear and do i need a specific type to fit the pro4?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Practically any higher grade car that is well set up and familiar to the thumbs controlling it, will do well at club level

Some people cannot bond with some cars though, it is all a learning curve, however, the more you times you change car, the more work you have given yourself trying to set it up.

Change one setting at a time and note if it helps or makes things worse, trial and error is sometimes the only way to find out what best suits YOU.

All the best
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only bad thing I have to say about the pro 4 is its internal ratio. Its a big PITA when running stock because of the low FDR. I'm running at 3.48 right now with a 76/53 gearing. Why is that an issue? I cant run a larger spur because I wont have the pinion options for tuning(they only make em so big!). And I cant run a smaller spur to give me even more pinion range, because the motor just cant move in far enough to mesh the gears. That said, gearing is totally different from brushed to brushless.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
Actually I think its more the size of the rotating mass being about half the size that causes it to not be as big an issue. A brushed arm is a lot bigger then a brushless arm.
Actually I think torque steer comes from torque and out put of the motor. Shaft cars just seem to work better with 17.5/27t motors. I've used a tc3 with a novak 10.5 and it seems I couldn't control the car out the corners. And everything seems loose.(maybe my setup but the car seem it couldn't handle much)

Brushless motors have two times the torque of a brushed motor. So a 10.5 even a 13.5 gears for a fast track in a shaft car will have some torque steer.

shaft if best for stock racing. And stock racing is where you need a more efficientcy and that comes from shaft.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

anybody need new arms?
I have several sets NIB Pro4/Cyclone arms I no longer need.
email me at [email protected]

thanks.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

in turkey , in the last years national championship, the 3rd and 4th drivers were using pro 4, actually the 4th driver was using pro 4 hara edition and 3rd used regular pro4 with a little upgrade parts. btw we were racing mod. with 5 cell.
you can be very competitive with pro4 in stock i believe
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC-DriftNewb
The only bad thing I have to say about the pro 4 is its internal ratio. Its a big PITA when running stock because of the low FDR. I'm running at 3.48 right now with a 76/53 gearing. Why is that an issue? I cant run a larger spur because I wont have the pinion options for tuning(they only make em so big!). And I cant run a smaller spur to give me even more pinion range, because the motor just cant move in far enough to mesh the gears. That said, gearing is totally different from brushed to brushless.
I'm running an 88 tooth spur with a 57 tooth pinion (3.76 FDR) and the motor fits comfortably. I've test -fit a 61 tooth pinion using the same spur and managed to get everything to fit w/o modifications. I've seen pinions with as many as 65 teeth available, so getting to your preferred FDR shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info.

One thing i will admit is i hate gearing and figuring out ratios. It sucks all the fun out of RC for me, im not here to do math.

Can someone recommend a good spur/pinion combo for running 13.5? Ill be on a fairly tight track, Jackon in NJ.

oeoeo- are you running 88/57 with a 13.5 on your pro4?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Twism86
Thanks for the info.

One thing i will admit is i hate gearing and figuring out ratios. It sucks all the fun out of RC for me, im not here to do math.

Can someone recommend a good spur/pinion combo for running 13.5? Ill be on a fairly tight track, Jackon in NJ.

That gearing seems high for a 13.5. Try 88/46 in 13.5. This gives you a 42mm rollout and is probably a good start depending on the size of your track.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks for the info.

www.gearchart.com

Welcome to your new best friend.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thanks for the info.

There is a free program that I use all the time, called "RC Gears". I don't remember where I got it (but i got it from the forums here... do a search).. but you simply type in the internal drive ratio of your car (each model car is unique, my Xray is 1.7 for example), type in the number of teeth on your spur, type in the number of teeth on your pinion, and it gives you your final drive ratio. No need to worry about "roll out" with a touring car.

But even if you dont have the program, it is painfully easy to do the math. To get your gear ratio, simply devide the your spur, by your pinion. Then multiply THAT number, by your car's internal drive and vuala.

For example, on my Xray I am running a 38 pinion, and a 100 spur. That gives me:

38/100 = 2.63

I then multiply that by 1.7 (Xray internal drive ratio) and you get:

2.63 x 1.7 = 4.47.

In short, I am running a final drive ratio of about 1 : 4.47.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks again! I will check all of that out.

The only problem is i dont know how to interpret those gear ratios. The numbers dont mean anything to me Whats going to burn me up or i dont know what range i need to to be in.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thanks again! I will check all of that out.

The only problem is i dont know how to interpret those gear ratios. The numbers dont mean anything to me Whats going to burn me up or i dont know what range i need to to be in.
The number simply means how many times the motor spins, vs. how many times your drive shaft spins. Its the "final drive ratio" Between the motor spinning, and your wheels spinning. The number will START to make sense, once you start to use it. You will start recognizing that a 4.5 is geared kinda low... like if you were stuck in 3rd gear on your 10speed bike. 3.5, is geared more medium high, like if you were stuck in 7th gear on your 10speed bike.

When you are at your track, a certain final drive will be the "Sweet spot" for yoru type of car. A super tiny tight track with lots of corners ... gearing more towards a 4.5 will be better, since you will spend more of your time accelerating out of corners. on a huge track with lots of straights... maybe 3.0 or 3.5 would be better as your car would spend more time at top speed, and less time accelerating. So find the fast guy at your track, and find out what FDR he is using, and you can use that as a starting point. you might not be able to run the EXACT same FDR, as all cars/batteries/motors/ESCs will change that slightly... but it will be a good ballpark to shoot for. Gear slightly lower, check motor temps, and "feel" how much punch and top speed your car has, and work from there. Eventually, the FDR number will just make sense in your head.

I always use the 10speed analogy to beginners, and it makes sense instantly to them. Imagine youre on a 10speed bike, and you have a track in front of you. But, you can only use ONE gear on the bike the entire time you go around this track... What gear is best? 1st gear? 10th gear? In 1st gear, you can start moving really really easy, but you will have very low top speed. 10th gear you will have tons of top speed, but wont be able to accelerate at all. So you need to find the one that works the best for the entire track... somewhere around 5th gear, right? IT all depends on the track in front of you.

So on your 10speed... 1st gear is like having a FDR of 10:1 (10 pedals, to get your tire to spin once). 10th gear, is like a final drive of 1:1 (one pedal, to get your tire to spin once). Think of it that way.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 05-08-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

top guy to beat at my local track runs an old tc3 beating everybody else on a regular basis running tc5's,cyclone's and xray's.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Wish I still had mine.....The hara motor mount makes life easier with the pro4 also but its hard to find these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.