R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Pro 4 Still Competitive? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/295549-pro-4-still-competitive.html)

Twism86 05-08-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rcdougie (Post 5787440)
Wish I still had mine.....The hara motor mount makes life easier with the pro4 also but its hard to find these days.

Ill have to look into that, i know the stock one is a PITA.

jimfreeman77 05-08-2009 02:53 PM

HPI SPRINGS NEEDED!!!!!

Hi, Has anyone got some HPI pro 4 springs for sale?

thanks

BlackedOutREVO 05-08-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by rc-zombies (Post 5786641)
anybody need new arms?
I have several sets NIB Pro4/Cyclone arms I no longer need.
email me at [email protected]

thanks.

You still racing man? Havent seen you in a while!:D

Twism86 05-08-2009 05:01 PM

Will any 64 pitch spur gear work, or is there a specific type i should be looking for?

As for spring, i would assume that most TC spring are the same size and can swap? No?

pejota 05-08-2009 07:13 PM

I have some AE springs that i use and they fit just fine.

Twism86 05-08-2009 08:26 PM

What ive found is the Hot Bodies Racing Spur. Looks the same as my pro 4 spur but meant for the cyclone, can i assume this works? Hole pattern looks the same.

JimmyMac 05-08-2009 08:29 PM

I think the Hotbodies/HPI cars use/come with Xenon spurs which can be ordered through HPI or from SpeedtechRC.

Twism86 05-08-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyMac (Post 5788735)
I think the Hotbodies/HPI cars use/come with Xenon spurs which can be ordered through HPI or from SpeedtechRC.

Ok, yea my spur says XENON on it. The other ones i found say Delrin in the description, so i guess those are different types?

Is it just me or is a 64P 88T spur gear for my pro 4 too hard to find?

JimmyMac 05-08-2009 10:13 PM

It's you. :D

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=392&id=959

(out of stock)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUNN4&P=SM

Here's 87 tooth.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=HBS68087

Kawada should work.
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=10024

Twism86 05-09-2009 09:19 AM

Thank you Jimmy! I found the one at tower, but never could find that one on speedtech.

oeoeo327 05-09-2009 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twism86 (Post 5786779)
Thanks for the info.

One thing i will admit is i hate gearing and figuring out ratios. It sucks all the fun out of RC for me, im not here to do math.

Can someone recommend a good spur/pinion combo for running 13.5? Ill be on a fairly tight track, Jackon in NJ.

oeoeo- are you running 88/57 with a 13.5 on your pro4?

That's funny - I'm headed to Jackson to run in the Memorial Day weekend race in 2 weeks - we'll be able to compare notes...:lol:

The 88/57 combo works pretty well for an open track with a 17.5, I haven't picked up a 13.5 yet (but might before this race to get a baseline tune with a little more HP). I bought the car to compete in Vintage Electric for the HPI Challenge races coming up later this summer, and I've been working with 17.5s to see where the sweet spot is for FDRs. With the spur/pinion combo I've mentioned, I've seen motor temps in the 150-175F range, so it's on the edge with regard to motor temperatures. I've actually geared down a bit to run on tighter tracks, closer to the 4.20 ratio specified for USVTA racing (88/51 gives you a 4.205 FDR) with a 17.5.

All things considered, I'm impressed with how well this car responds to chassis tuning and the efficiency of the drivetrain - but whoever stated that the motor mount is a PITA is spot on with that assessment.;)

Twism86 05-09-2009 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by oeoeo327 (Post 5790803)
That's funny - I'm headed to Jackson to run in the Memorial Day weekend race in 2 weeks - we'll be able to compare notes...:lol:

The 88/57 combo works pretty well for an open track with a 17.5, I haven't picked up a 13.5 yet (but might before this race to get a baseline tune with a little more HP). I bought the car to compete in Vintage Electric for the HPI Challenge races coming up later this summer, and I've been working with 17.5s to see where the sweet spot is for FDRs. With the spur/pinion combo I've mentioned, I've seen motor temps in the 150-175F range, so it's on the edge with regard to motor temperatures. I've actually geared down a bit to run on tighter tracks, closer to the 4.20 ratio specified for USVTA racing (88/51 gives you a 4.205 FDR) with a 17.5.

All things considered, I'm impressed with how well this car responds to chassis tuning and the efficiency of the drivetrain - but whoever stated that the motor mount is a PITA is spot on with that assessment.;)

I wont be there memorial day. I have my college graduation the day before so that weekend is out. I stil have to get my motor, ESC, Lipos and stuff......

Does jackson have a 1500g min? If so where can i pick up some stick on weights?

RC-DriftNewb 05-09-2009 08:44 PM

Gearing's all ballpark anyway. Traction, layout, type of material, motor, tires, all play a huge roll in determining what your FDR will be. Even the way you drive the car. I know for me I started at a 3.7 because I knew guys last year running at 3.5 in stock class. It was only a starting point. And for me since I was under geared and had the motor temps low I could gear up. And I'm still playing with my gearing. It can change day to day even, due to the temperature outside.

That said, I'm LOVING my pro4! Last week I thought I got my setup really spot on. But after making a few more changes over the week in practice its even better! I wished I'd made them sooner. I cant take all the credit though. It wasnt my idea to change the ackerman.

Speaking of ackerman. Something I noticed today. The ackerman settings in the manual are incorrect! To change your ackerman from the least to the most agressive, you have to go in order by the numbers in your manual. Its Position 1, then 3, then 2, then 4. You need to flip flop 2 and 3 from your manual in order for it to be correct. Otherwise you jump way around.

EditL And if I can find my tripod I'll see about gtaking video of my car on the track. The car is good, but my driving ISNT! lol

Kregger 05-10-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by oeoeo327 (Post 5790803)

Looks like 2 pro4's at Jackson that weekend then. I running mine in RCGT to try and get it ready for the HPI challenge in August as well.

robk 05-10-2009 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by rcdougie (Post 5787440)
Wish I still had mine.....The hara motor mount makes life easier with the pro4 also but its hard to find these days.

If you're handy with a dremel, that can be remedied without the hara part.