Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
[NewBie needs help] What kind of tires best for Carpet racing >

[NewBie needs help] What kind of tires best for Carpet racing

[NewBie needs help] What kind of tires best for Carpet racing

Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default [NewBie needs help] What kind of tires best for Carpet racing

Hi everyone,

I am new to the rc scene and have a question. I need to know what kind of tires are best for my 1/10th scale electric car for carpet racing. Also what online stores are reputable, where I could buy them (in the US)

Thanks

[updated request, see post #5]

Last edited by nukl; 04-28-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your Best bet is to ask and buy them at your track.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depends on what class you would like to run. Rubber TC Stock is quite popular up here, and is run at most large events in the US.

I would check with your local club and see what classes they run and then go from there.

Stormer Hobbies out of Montana would be a good place to get tires.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For foam tire class, Parma Magentas on Pro53 wheels were pretty popular.

For rubber tire class, we had a spec tire rule... everyone had to run Jaco greens or blues. If you're going to run rubber tire class, check to see if the track where you'll be racing has a spec tire rule before you buy any tires. If at all possible buy them at the track where you'll be racing. If you don't support your track, you'll save a lot more money than you think when the track closes and you find yourself with no place to race...

If you need anything and your local track can't get it in time, I can highly recommend Stormer Hobbies as a terrific place to do business with.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the replies.

I should mention, that I am a college student racing a autonomous race car (not strict rc racing). Search for 'natcar offtrack' on youtube to see students' car from previous years [I can't post a link]

-so there is no class restriction
-I am not affiliated with any track, and don't know where to start buying parts locally (I bought the chassis, servo & motor online at tamyia and rest of the control circuitry, we create ourselves)

I will need the tires for maybe 10-20 carpet runs, they don't need to be long lasting.
Grip is the most important feature I'm looking for
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nukl
Thanks for all the replies.

I should mention, that I am a college student racing a autonomous race car (not strict rc racing). Search for 'natcar offtrack' on youtube to see students' car from previous years [I can't post a link]

-so there is no class restriction
-I am not affiliated with any track, and don't know where to start buying parts locally (I bought the chassis, servo & motor online at tamyia and rest of the control circuitry, we create ourselves)

I will need the tires for maybe 10-20 carpet runs, they don't need to be long lasting.
Grip is the most important feature I'm looking for
Whats the objective?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The shore for the rubber tires that you will need should be 27 shore and up to 30 shore. The lower the #, the more grib that you will get, but not long lasting, just like real tires.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by revo523
Whats the objective?
you mean, objective of the race?
- build a car that follows a line all by itself
youtube.com/watch?v=QCMRTWjM14k
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Solara
The shore for the rubber tires that you will need should be 27 shore and up to 30 shore. The lower the #, the more grib that you will get, but not long lasting, just like real tires.
between foam and rubber tires, is one clearly better for carpet? or do they perform similarly
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you want grip, go with foam tires. You will probably want to start with Jaco or Parma Magenta front and rear. Use a traction compound like Jack the Gripper about 20 minutes before a run and completely wipe them off 5 minutes before a run. This will probably yield you the best grip you can get on carpet. Rubber tires will just slide comparatively...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timmay70
If you want grip, go with foam tires. You will probably want to start with Jaco or Parma Magenta front and rear. Use a traction compound like Jack the Gripper about 20 minutes before a run and completely wipe them off 5 minutes before a run. This will probably yield you the best grip you can get on carpet. Rubber tires will just slide comparatively...
so when you say 'Jaco or Parma Magenta', are these brand names or grades of foam tires. [i am clueless ]

if these are brand names, how would I go about finding the particular model suited best for my needs. It would be nice, if someone could link me to an online store with recommended tires, so that I could start my research, or if you guys know a good local source in area code 94720
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jaco and Parma will be the brand and magenta will be the color you need to run.

Go here.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by revo523
Jaco and Parma will be the brand and magenta will be the color you need to run.
Thanks,

I searched [and failed] to locate a good article that describes what different colors mean [magenta, pink, purple etc.]

some info on that would be helpful
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

These are in order from softest to firm tire compounds as per JACO:
The softer the tire, the more traction, and more tire wear you will have.

Pink
Magenta
Double Pink
Lilac
Purple

Here is a link to the manufacturer website. You can purchase them from Stormer or just about any other reputable on-line shop.

http://www.jacoracing.net/prism_1_10.html

If you are doing this on regular lowpile carpet I would use the Pinks in the back with Double pink/orange or Lilac fronts so the car doesn't over steer itself. If you go with a stiffer front tire it will be less likely to spin out from aggressive servo inputs.
Now if "you" were racing and not the program and sensors, then I would go with Double Pinks on all four corners. But with a "driverless" car, go with the above.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
I wouldn't use Jack (or any traction additive) for an autonomous car... Even after wiping the tires off, we almost always drive a lap or two to get the tires to work before the start of the run... I'd have to guess that the driverless auto-car won't have the chance to do this, and would tend to be "greasy" if additive is used.

Another consideration... since this isn't actual r/c racing, we can't assume it will be on Ozite... I can think of some types of carpet where you might get better results with 4wd offroad type tires...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.