R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Is LSD same as Ball Diff? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/293384-lsd-same-ball-diff.html)

Airflow 04-28-2009 10:03 PM

Is LSD same as Ball Diff?

Im just curious...

I mean, if I'm using ball diff which is partially tightened,
do I experience the Limited Slip Diff effect?

Is LSD good for 4wd or front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

Dragonfire 04-28-2009 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Airflow (Post 5745982)
Im just curious...

I mean, if I'm using ball diff which is partially tightened,
do I experience the Limited Slip Diff effect?

Is LSD good for 4wd or front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

A ball diff behaves more or less in the same way as a limited slip diff. The "limited slip" effect can be adjusted by running the diff tight or loose. Most people prefer a loose (free) diff.

kschu 04-28-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonfire (Post 5746016)
A ball diff behaves more or less in the same way as a limited slip diff. The "limited slip" effect can be adjusted by running the diff tight or loose. Most people prefer a loose (free) diff.

loose diff wont cause d car lose acceleration speed?

05forfun 04-28-2009 11:05 PM

Of course a loose diff will affect the acceleration, because there will be no enough friction to prevent the diff from spinning, i.e. the power will not be completely transferred to the drive shaft. I guess what he meant was under the same condition, people prefer to have a little loose diff so that the differential function can work freely.

kschu 04-29-2009 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 05forfun (Post 5746156)
Of course a loose diff will affect the acceleration, because there will be no enough friction to prevent the diff from spinning, i.e. the power will not be completely transferred to the drive shaft. I guess what he meant was under the same condition, people prefer to have a little loose diff so that the differential function can work freely.

ok thanks

tight diff give more steering than loose diff rite?

Dragonfire 04-29-2009 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by kschu (Post 5746375)
ok thanks

tight diff give more steering than loose diff rite?

Yes and no. Sometimes a tight diff gives more steering and sometimes it dosen't. I find a tight diff works better in high grip and a free or loose diff works better in low grip. Generally you start with it free (just tight enuf to resist slipping under normal loads) and tighten up a bit at a time if you think you need it.

Airflow 04-29-2009 01:25 AM

Ok. Let me get this straight, it's preferred to use a little loose diff
setting? Won't it defeat the purpose of LSD? So a normal differential
would be better? Like the gear diff of a TT01? Why is that LSDs
are used in race cars anyway when an ordinary diff (loose) is preferred?

Minami 04-29-2009 04:36 AM

@Airflow

it depends where you will be putting your diff. if you'll be placing it up front, most of the time racers prefer it to be a little tighter than usual. if you'll be using it for your rear, it's almost always set to loose to prevent your car from spinning under high acceleration.

niznai 04-29-2009 05:49 AM

I was going to say whatever you do if you want to bias your diffs make sure always that you have more traction (in the diff) up front than rear, never the other way around.

kschu 04-29-2009 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Minami (Post 5746750)
@Airflow

it depends where you will be putting your diff. if you'll be placing it up front, most of the time racers prefer it to be a little tighter than usual. if you'll be using it for your rear, it's almost always set to loose to prevent your car from spinning under high acceleration.

if loose, i think d tyre wont spin but the diff is slipping tremendously rite?...

jhwnissan 04-29-2009 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by niznai (Post 5746919)
I was going to say whatever you do if you want to bias your diffs make sure always that you have more traction (in the diff) up front than rear, never the other way around.

For stability reasons.. that's always the way to go. However it works just like a real car.. get that front too tight and you will start to understeer somethin aweful. This is especially true under power.

HarshGuy 04-29-2009 08:11 AM

Here's some info on LSD:

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/images_lsd.html

niznai 04-29-2009 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jhwnissan (Post 5747353)
For stability reasons.. that's always the way to go. However it works just like a real car.. get that front too tight and you will start to understeer somethin aweful. This is especially true under power.

Absolutely. A very good analogy is to think what happens when you lock the diff on a real car when it's RWD and then FWD and this will actually give you a good idea about two extreme points of adjustment. You need to be somewhere inbetween depending on your conditions.

jhwnissan 04-29-2009 08:18 AM

Yeah.. it's so funny how even on this scale.. you can tune these cars like you would work on a real car. They essentially act very similar minus aero which isn't quite the same given scale and viscosity of the air. :)

redbones 04-29-2009 10:00 AM

But it amazes me how a front spool works for RC. If you think in terms of real cars, you would never attempt to use a locked diff for the front.