Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC/Servo issue *help*

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ESC/Servo issue *help*

I have an RC10B4 RTR, (I know this is the on road forum, but it's an electronics issue so I am posting here for more feedback)...it came stock with a LRP runner plus digital ESC and an Airtronics 27mhz AM radio. I was running a standard servo in the car, it worked but was slow and not really up to the abuse of racing, so I replaced it with a used JR DZ8550 (hi-speed hi torque digital).

The servo works fine, but when it moves the light on the ESC goes from a dull glow to bright. The change in color indicates that the ESC is switching form neutral to some other function. Again this happens when you turn the wheel on the Transmitter, with no input to the throttle.

When you have the throttle on and the motor is turning, movement of the steering servo causes the motor to hesitate, and it looks like the brushes are arcing. The ESC led shifts from dull to bright every time you change direction of the steering.

So somehow it seems the new servo is interfering with the ESC. Switching back to the old servo (which is not digital) cures the ESC problem. I have gone thru the set-up again on the ESC, the esc and receiver are seperated, no bare wires, etc.

Are digital servos known to cause problems on an AM radio? Could this be a problem with the servo itself? Or the ESC? I plan on upgrading the radio to a computerized FM (A JR XS-3) but that will probably have to wait a bit for my budget to catch up some. I would appreciate any thoughts or experience that you all may have.

Thanks
~jim
Old 12-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey Glider,

I had the same problem last year and it was my receiver although i was not using the same equipment/car as you. The Faster/better the servo i put in the worse it would get. If i put in my airtronics digital 94757 and moved the wheel back and forth it would cause the car to bump forward a little at a time. If i put one of my older Futaba non digitals in it, it would be fine. I would start by changing the receiver but unfortunatly radio problems can be caused by so many things, you have to be patient and change one thing, test it in several situations, then try something else.

Good Luck,

Blake
Old 12-14-2003, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Arrow NEW QUESTION

If I want to connect a 7.2V servo to say the Keyence V-Zero extreme ESC, want all do I need to connect it.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Proudwinner,

It depends a little on what servo it is you are going to use? If you check the brand(airtronics, futaba etc) and look on the servo chart on their website it gives you specs on how the servo will operate at different voltages(such as speed and torque). You should deffenetly call keyence and see what they say, i believe that most esc's operate servos at 6 volts. There might not be a problem with your servo but it possibly will move slower and have less torque than it could.

Blake
Old 12-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: NEW QUESTION

Originally posted by proudwinner
If I want to connect a 7.2V servo to say the Keyence V-Zero extreme ESC, want all do I need to connect it.
connect as per normal,the keyence v-zero esc has a FET wire for u to connect up to the 7.2V servo.the normal esc connection will provide only 6V and the FET wire from the esc will provide the addition 1.2V.
err...is tis wat u r asking?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Yeah that is what I was asking. Now I know the esc has a FET lead. Thanks ijnek.