R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Robitronics dyno vs Fantom facts machine

Has anyone used either of these two dyno's I'm looking to buy a dyno but I don't know to much about the Robitonics I've seen the Fantom used but you need a lap top if you take any where outside of home to use it.
sportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to ncsoccerstar01
Default dyno

i have a fantom facs dyno 2 and i love it. one of the best featurs it has is a low med. and high power. it also can show the brush hop. also i read that jim deter the trinity moter man likes the fantom better but he has to use the robitronis because of trinity.

Last edited by ncsoccerstar01; 12-12-2003 at 06:10 PM.
ncsoccerstar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The fantom would be a decent unit if you could actually test stuff above 5 volts.....you can with the robi....the main complaint is that it has SO much data it can overwhelm stuff.

Later EddieO
Old 12-13-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
Tech Regular

the one thing that i've read is that the robi can also charge batts does it nimh,i have a tubo gfx how does it compare to that it charging resect . I'm glad that it has most of the same features as the famtom.

Last edited by sportracer; 12-13-2003 at 10:56 AM.
sportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:11 PM   #5

Using the Robitronics as a charger doesn't even compare to your GFX. I think the Robitronics can go down to a .05 peak detect, maybe, but it was designed when nimh batteries didn't exist in R/C cars, so you would be much better off using your GFX to charge. As a dyno, the Robitronics is great though, you may also want to look at finding a CE Turbo Dyno 45. They don't make them anymore, but they can still be found.

All you need in a laptop for the Robitronics or the Fantom is any old thing capable of running DOS. You could easily find a suitable one for under $50 on ebay.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Actually... Trinity now uses the Fantom... They used to use the Robitronic... Somewhere along the line they decided to change... My understaning is that Jim Deiter always like the Fantom better, even when Trinity was using the Robi in their shop.

Regardless of what Jim Deiter likes...

I like the Robitronic... I can set it from 4 to 8 volts... try that with a Fantom. I also like it because it includes the voltage data in the test output... the Fantom never really tells you what the voltage is at the motor as the test is being done. The effciency numbers the Fantom gives are way off from reality, because it assumes the voltage input is a constant 5 volts... However it can not possibly be.... but since they don't record the voltage at all, the user will never know... Except for the fact that the numbers it gives for efficency, just can't possibly be correct if it really had put a constant 5 volts to the motor...

Many people use the Fantom and love it... Including Jim Deiter apparently... Now I'd never claim to know as much as Jim does about motors... but I humbly submit my opion that the Robitronic dyno is a better dyno then the Fantom.
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Doesn't the Robi use a battery pack to power the motor? If so then you can never get a back to back reading. How are you supposed to know if your changes helped or not if the voltage changed ?
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:22 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sort of, the Robi uses a 12 volt lead-acid battery for power, but honestly, because of the capacity of them, it takes a LOT of test runs(like somewhere in the dozens or even hundreds between recharging one) for its voltage to waver. The Robi uses a voltage regulator to precisely control what goes to the motor, so the results are consistent as long as the battery has enough of a charge in it. And, if you use the recommended capacity battery(which is between 17 & 40Ah), you also have something of a safety device for the system, those batteries can only supply so many amps(especially the 17Ah one, which is what I use), so if you try to test a motor that can draw more amps than the Robi can handle, the battery likely won't be able to supply that many amps anyway & it'll prevent the dyno from damaging itself. I don't consider the Robi to actually be any better than the Fantom, but I think that my Robi is better for ME, as I have a much easier time interpreting its data(but I know others who can say the same for the Fantom). Neither is really better, only different......

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #9
Tech Adept

CraigH, the CS power check is simmilar to the Robitronic... and it uses a re-chargable RC pack as a power source for the test motor. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

Grizzbob is correct... that the Robitronic does use a external power source, that is typicaly a Lead Acid rechargable battery, but it regulates the voltage at the test motor based on user selected setting...

Personaly I use a Deep Cycle battery as my power source most of the time. I have used it for weeks at a time without charging it, and the output to the test motor remain very consistant, even when the battery gets very low on it's charge. I've also used a Lawn tractor battery on ocasion, and I see basicly no noticable diferance when I use this vs. my deep cycle battery. I really never dyno anything less then a 19 turn, so the protection factor one might get from a smaller battery is not a issue for me.
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:50 PM   #10

I can dyno 10 turn motors on my robi without a problem, but I don't think it is recommended that you go below 10 turns. 10 turns is the limit in alot of places now anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I like having a dyno because I can test my motors after I rebuild them at home and see if they are up to snuff or not before I take them out on the track. If a motor isn't as good as I would like, I can tune it, and try to improve it. If I can't improve it enough, I can dyno several other motors and use the one with the most power.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Robi have a web site I could look at? I have contacted Competition Electronics and they are going to make more turbo 45 next year,but at a price of $1000. I would like to see more about the Robi.The Facts machine is useless to someone that races 6cell being that it checks at 5volts.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, the website is: www.robitronic.com

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Thanks..funny how google didnt find it.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:59 PM   #14
Tech Master

I have a Fantom dyno and I don't really have any complaints about it. I run it off of a car battery, so I don't worry about variances in input voltage. There's no way you could run it off of a power supply due to the current demands of RC motors. It's a good tuning aid if you have a box of motors and want to see which has the highest peak RPM, Watts, torque, etc. but you're still better off spending some time on the track to test brushes, springrate and gearing since a dyno will never accurately tell you what the motor will behave like during a heat. A motor dyno is definitely NOT a must have item, but it is handy. The only time I really use it is when I'm racing where there's a handout motor.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:28 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Is the Yokomo Motor Management System any good to see performance of motor and be able to tune or do you need to get either the Robitronic, Fantom Dynos... which are so expensive?
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote