Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF4evr View Post
Stein
Your setup is for mod racing.
I currently use on my cars the old lrp tc spec.... happy with the performance.
I mainly race only either 17.5 or 10.5...my main question is with the new sxx(TC or competition spec....any diff between aside from the fan and heat sink)
would the new sxx be good for stock or the spx is still better?
Has anyone compared the sxx with spx I know its been compared to the old tc spec.
I had a look on LRP's own forum and they state that the new SSX and SSX TC do NOT have the stock spec profiles like the SPX Stock spec. What they don't tell you is if the new SSX is any improvement for stock racing over the old TC Spec.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default SXX ESC

had a look at the sxx manual and the profile setting 10 ...
limiter... OFF
throttle ... +EXPO
timimg... 5
profile 10 should make a difference with stock with timing bump up to 5.... I know the vfs bmc you can change timing up 6 through there stock manager program
TRF4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I really regret buying my SPX. It's slow, the motors run hot, and generally seems like a downgrade in every sense. The TC Spec has been great. I too am curious if this ESC will run like an improved TC Spec with 13.5 and the like.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I really regret buying my SPX. It's slow, the motors run hot, and generally seems like a downgrade in every sense. The TC Spec has been great. I too am curious if this ESC will run like an improved TC Spec with 13.5 and the like.
Adam - Either you got a bad apple or you are geared wrong or your rotor is toast...something is wrong. Testing here on a biggish asphalt track usually shows a SPX to have more top speed.

Recently at the Reedy Race, someone started clocking cars with a radar gun. I thought I was fast clocking in at 35mph with a 17.5 motor, and then someone else hit 37mph - with a friggin 17.5 novak motor. These used to be mod speeds. Both were done with an SPX. The SPX simply walked away from the TC spec speedos. Tekin was there to test some beta software with increased timing "turbo" with similar results.

I do admit going through more rotors than ever though even though my motors don't run hot. My fantom rotor tester is becoming a very valuable tool:
http://www.fantomracing.com/store/in...ml?prod_id=701

It seems like these higher timing speedos degrade the magnets much faster these days.

I intend to race a lot more mod and I'm wondering if the SXX is much better than the TC spec in that regard. Is 10 throttle profiles really that much different than 8??
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #35
Tech Lord

I had the same feeling with the Tekin to be honest. I wonder if we're not seeing the benefit of this ESC 'cause it's on a short track? It feels soft and slow compared to the other guys, even with a fresh motor.

I guess I need to keep my Zubak meter close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
Adam - Either you got a bad apple or you are geared wrong or your rotor is toast...something is wrong. Testing here on a biggish asphalt track usually shows a SPX to have more top speed.

Recently at the Reedy Race, someone started clocking cars with a radar gun. I thought I was fast clocking in at 35mph with a 17.5 motor, and then someone else hit 37mph - with a friggin 17.5 novak motor. These used to be mod speeds. Both were done with an SPX. The SPX simply walked away from the TC spec speedos. Tekin was there to test some beta software with increased timing "turbo" with similar results.

I do admit going through more rotors than ever though even though my motors don't run hot. My fantom rotor tester is becoming a very valuable tool:
http://www.fantomracing.com/store/in...ml?prod_id=701

It seems like these higher timing speedos degrade the magnets much faster these days.

I intend to race a lot more mod and I'm wondering if the SXX is much better than the TC spec in that regard. Is 10 throttle profiles really that much different than 8??
Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Quote:
What motor do you run? With profile 7 and 8 you definitely can go faster with the SPX than with SXX (profile 10 on the SXX is similar to profile 6 on the SPX - also check out the post from Burito on the SPX forum). The braking is also very good with my SPX.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Stein
I mainly race only either 17.5 or 10.5...my main question is with the new sxx(TC or competition spec....any diff between aside from the fan and heat sink)
Has anyone compared the sxx with spx I know its been compared to the old tc spec.

This is not my setup, it is from Jilles Groskamp. And yes, it is for mod racing. I would recommend the SXX for mod racing. You get esc's with special programs for stock motor today, the best ones are probably the LRP SPX and the GM Genius 90/120.

I have both the SXX and the SPX. In stock there is more performance with the SPX (profile 7 or 8 - note you need to change gearing).

Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #38
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein Tumert View Post
What motor do you run? With profile 7 and 8 you definitely can go faster with the SPX than with SXX (profile 10 on the SXX is similar to profile 6 on the SPX - also check out the post from Burito on the SPX forum). The braking is also very good with my SPX.

Mostly a speedpassion 13.5 or duo 13.5. Our straight is only about 70', though, so there's really not a lot of time to let it wind up. Most of the time it seems like the benefit is having rip in the infield, which is where this esc seems really soft. Though even on our short straight I feel like I'm getting motored by the tc spec guys.

Here's some track pics for reference. We're moving to a new space soon with a 100' straight.

http://corrc.org/photos/?albumid=5259361503699538673
Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Quote:
Stein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
I had a look on LRP's own forum and they state that the new SSX and SSX TC do NOT have the stock spec profiles like the SPX Stock spec. What they don't tell you is if the new SSX is any improvement for stock racing over the old TC Spec.
I don't think there is any real change for stock racing with the SXX compared to the TC Spec. Profile 10 on the SXX will be similar to profile 8 on the TC spec, but no stock profile with advanced timing etc....

Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #40
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
10 power profiles on the SXX?
yes

Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Quote:
Mostly a speedpassion 13.5 or duo 13.5. Our straight is only about 70', though, so there's really not a lot of time to let it wind up. Most of the time it seems like the benefit is having rip in the infield, which is where this esc seems really soft. Though even on our short straight I feel like I'm getting motored by the tc spec guys.

Here's some track pics for reference. We're moving to a new space soon with a 100' straight.

The advantage may not be the biggest on a small narrow track, but you may find something anyway, try to do some testing with the gearing.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #42
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Does anyone know what is the LiPo cutoff?
I guess there is no way to change it, right?

I run it (actually I have the Pearl ISTC) first time this Sunday and it felt much stronger than my previous LRP TC. I even had to put smaller pinion becuase it was scary fast (running 4.5 motor, lipo batteries are the ones used before and they were charged one month ago)

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I run modified 4WD Off-Road with a B44 and ZX-5. I am getting an SXX in this week and it's too late to return it. I feel I should have gotten the SXX TC instead. The max motor I will be running is a 5.5 motor as well as a Novak 6.5L and 7.5L.

According to the LRP site a 5.5 motor is the limit for an SXX and the SXX TC is a 3.5 motor.

The LRP site shows that the SXX is meant for 1/12th scale and 2WD off-road buggy and the SXX TC is meant for Modified TC and 4WD Modified Buggy.

Should I run the SXX anyway and find a heatsink and fan for it? That basically turns it into an SXX TC since all other specs are the same. BTW, does LRP sell a heatsink and fan upgrade?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to sudhar93

Actually,Profile 10 ON sxx IS gREAT WITH 11.5T.Similar to profile 8 on SPX STOCK SPEC.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

sorry for the sxx thread redirect

i run 2 1/12 17.5 cars that are the same except the esc one has a comp 07 and other spx - i do not have the notes from test right hear but the comp say rolled at 80 the spx rolled out high 60's - trinity duo's 0 motor timing.
gear down on the spx and then gear down again and let it rip smaller the track more gearing down. love the spx - i will be buying more wanna sell?
DriftDreamer06 is offline   Reply With Quote