R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   epic binary 2 stock motors? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/29180-epic-binary-2-stock-motors.html)

underdog 12-12-2003 07:30 AM

The point I was making is that Reedy tested the rules and ROAR approved it for the Mod motors, but then specifically introduced the two magnet rule for Stockers to keep it out. Reedy could have been first to market, but ROAR said no. If they now say yes to Trinity, they have effectively taken Reedy's first-to-market profit advantage away and given it to Trinity.

On the other point, I agree that most ROAR rules only apply to ROAR events. However, the stock motor rule is what is used to define the stock class at most races. My opinion is that if a race director doesn't specifically state that the they are going to make an exception to allow the Binary motors in the stock class prior to race day, then the motor should be considered illegal.

I personally don't know whether the Binary is any faster or slower than other stockers. I'm just saying that currently it is not a Stock motor by the accepted definition.

DerekB 12-12-2003 08:40 AM

Just some extra helpful info:

1. The quad magnet and multi-magent technology is not new. It's been used in slot car motors for a long long time. So the credit doesn't even go to Reedy.

2. At the risk of quote wrong I'll say that I remember asking Reedy about the stock motors and I'm pretty sure I remember him telling me that he didn't think it worked well.

And you could also look at this like this. Instead of wasting time and energy on a project that may never see the ROAR day of light, let another company be the guinea pig and do all the leg work to get something approved.

I wouldnt discredit Trinity for pushing a new (or old) technology and somebody else not pushing. If you think Trinity has more pull in ROAR than Reedy I'll refill your crack pipe for free. Anybody remember who ran for ROAR president and all the mudslinging?

Give me faster, give me better....the rules will follow.

MDawson 12-12-2003 09:56 AM

Originally posted by underdog
On the other point, I agree that most ROAR rules only apply to ROAR events. However, the stock motor rule is what is used to define the stock class at most races. My opinion is that if a race director doesn't specifically state that the they are going to make an exception to allow the Binary motors in the stock class prior to race day, then the motor should be considered illegal.

I think you know how well race directors tech at the club level. They rarely do.

If we ACTUALLY used ROAR Rules for club events think of all the things that would get caught in the fishnet:

-Cars that are significantly underweight
-Broken timing tabs (racers cutting the tabs to advance timing)
-Hybrid motors
-19T motors in stock cans with shape corrected shafts
-illegal bodies
-brushless use in stock class?

There are many more issues at the club level to worry about than if someone is running 4 mag motor in stock.

Manufacturers now have quad mags for mod and 19T. Stock cant be too far behind.

ZER01 12-12-2003 10:01 AM

Not to mention and wing height and track.

Brian Anthony 12-12-2003 03:10 PM

Originally posted by 1fastguy1
Hey Dynomo
I read the post you put on the other thread about these motors being very sensitive to tuning, and I couldnt agree with you more. I found that they are very tunable though. after I got the monster figured out a 69 power was not to difficult but my first weekend in cleveland with the Binary and a 75 was typical(and my fantom dyno isnt very generous)LOL I feel that in time they will creep up on what 19 turn was last year.my motor that got stolen after the fourth round at one second 16,200/417
typically that is unheard of for a stock motor we also had to gear about 4 teeth lower in some cases where max rpm was 27000

Mo Denton

Hey Mo,

If you think they will creep up to what 19t was I want to know what kind of numbers you are talkign about. I have some Lizzard 2s that are high 80s to low 90s and the new ones for oval are all over 100+. That is going to be one faaaaassssstttttt stock motor. Hopefully I will get to come out and play. All the numbers were on my bro's fantom which reads very conservative.

Brian Anthony