Like Tree130Likes

TA-05 ver.2

Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone switched their TA-05 IFS from the lay down shocks to the uprights? I know it might cut down a little bit of weight but has anyone done it and noticed better handling in the car with the upright shocks?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dirt_McGirt
Has anyone switched their TAmen05 IFS from the lay down shocks to the uprights? I know it might cut down a little bit of weight but has anyone done it and noticed better handling in the car with the upright shocks?
Most I have seen leave the shock laid down. I have heard there is no difference in lap times. It may be easier to adjust if you are used to stand up shocks, and has one more adjustment with the angle of the shock. The laid down configuration gives you three adjustments which are the equivalent to increase/decrease angle of vertical shocks.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by FNG RIDER
Most I have seen leave the shock laid down. I have heard there is no difference in lap times. It may be easier to adjust if you are used to stand up shocks, and has one more adjustment with the angle of the shock. The laid down configuration gives you three adjustments which are the equivalent to increase/decrease angle of vertical shocks.
Thank you for the help FNG RIDER, I'll probably just leave them laid down.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dirt_McGirt
Thank you for the help FNG RIDER, I'll probably just leave them laid down.
Hi,

we had our first indoor training in this year. Unfortunately my car was very loose on the rear end.

I'm using the Carson Dragster 16T combo, a spool in the front and a gear diff.

This season we have to use Ride 32 ETS Indoor.

What changes will improve the car's handling?

Kind regards
Oortael

Last edited by Oortael; 11-11-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Bought a used TA05 V2 some time ago and never gave it any love. Can somebody recommend shock oil weight, gearing and any other parts or tune up items I need to address. Also any recommendations for tires\rims.

Will be running in So-Cal WCRC or TQ racing - thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How can I tell if I have the carbon reinforced chassis or the stock plastic chassis?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The regular plastic chassis is dark black and smooth, almost shiny. The carbon reinforced chassis is hazy black and looks pitted, with a dull appearance.

*See picture*
Top shock tower is regular and bottom shock tower is carbon reinforced.
Attached Thumbnails TA-05 ver.2-pc036876.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jethroz
The regular plastic chassis is dark black and smooth, almost shiny. The carbon reinforced chassis is hazy black and looks pitted, with a dull appearance.

*See picture*
Top shock tower is regular and bottom shock tower is carbon reinforced.
Thanks for the pics. Does the chassis have any marks to identify them?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi,

If I buy the TA05R v2 and use (5000mah) lipo, do I still need to put additional weights on the batt side? Or Im better off with a TA06 if I dont want to add weights?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Ive used a 5000 mah battery and a 4000 mah shorty and havn't noticed that big a difference in handling. I just give it more tweak on the opposite side to comp for the extra weight. some balance it out, but I was trying not to be a lead barge ; ) The TA06 is a nice car, I didn't want to deal with all the drive line drag from the extra gears and jack shafts. If you run mod you can just run a hotter motor to overcome the drivetrain.

The TA05 in the right hands is a formidable weapon, It won at Tamiya Raceway several times recently over higher end cars such as the 417 et al.

I think tire choice is probably the biggest game changer you can make on this car, that and lots of practice time!

good luck with your choice!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by toast.
Bought a used TA05 V2 some time ago and never gave it any love. Can somebody recommend shock oil weight, gearing and any other parts or tune up items I need to address. Also any recommendations for tires\rims.

Will be running in So-Cal WCRC or TQ racing - thanks!
I used the set up listed on the Tamiya website. and adjusted from there.
I would imagine a stiffer spring oil set up for carpet racing. and for 17.5 probably gear around 4 to1 or lower. They gear around 3.78 to one at Tamiya. good luck with that; )
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ive used a 5000 mah battery and a 4000 mah shorty and havn't noticed that big a difference in handling. I just give it more tweak on the opposite side to comp for the extra weight. some balance it out, but I was trying not to be a lead barge ; ) The TA06 is a nice car, I didn't want to deal with all the drive line drag from the extra gears and jack shafts. If you run mod you can just run a hotter motor to overcome the drivetrain.

The TA05 in the right hands is a formidable weapon, It won at Tamiya Raceway several times recently over higher end cars such as the 417 et al.

I think tire choice is probably the biggest game changer you can make on this car, that and lots of practice time!

good luck with your choice!
Thanks for your reply. But what do you mean by adding tweak?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Airflow
Thanks for your reply. But what do you mean by adding tweak?
Increase the spring tension adjuster on the battery side. I try to make the chassis to ground clearance even on both left and ride sides of the chassis at 4.5 mm in front and 5mm in the rear.

You can get a tweak bar tool which includes a balance beam bubble from Integy.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Increase the spring tension adjuster on the battery side. I try to make the chassis to ground clearance even on both left and ride sides of the chassis at 4.5 mm in front and 5mm in the rear.

You can get a tweak bar tool which includes a balance beam bubble from Integy.
Ah spring tensions on shocks, ok got it. But why on the batt side? Isnt it lighter on that side?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Airflow
Ah spring tensions on shocks, ok got it. But why on the batt side? Isnt it lighter on that side?
Battery side, you can check buy measuring chassis height or tweak bar tool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.