R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Lap Counting Software for AMBRC System, JLAP, Autoscore, Sparc, etc.

Wondering what clubs use for software and some feedback of what you think of the software also, as we are thinking of maybe changing if we cannot clear up the issue we have.

Our Clubs uses JLap at the current time which works pretty good about 99% of the time, but at times has not counted racers during a race. Their name does show up highlighted when they go across the line but does not count the laps at all for the person. This has happened about 4 or 5 times for us, not a huge deal for club racing but during a major event is a major issue. Have not contacted JLap yet to see if they have an idea how to fix, but thought try here first.

Any thoughts on our issue with Jlap, maybe someone else has run across this issue.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have used JLap as a race director for 2+ years and, in my opinion, it is one of the worst experiences I've had in R/C to date. About the only worse software I've found is Sparc, which makes JLap look like the holy grail of scoring.

JLap has tons of great features, but getting them all to work together is tedious at best and problematic at worst, and the interface is very, very clunky. Their support is reasonably good (ask at their forums about your problem and you should get an answer) but overall we have been quite unsatisfied with the software. Another major problem is that their much-touted HTML output of results is so full of redundant code that you can't edit it or display it correctly on most browsers.

Autoscore for Windows is, to me, the standard software. It is pretty much no-frills, but it does the job well and gives you all of the features you need, with an easy setup. If you are looking for something simple and workable, Autoscore is still the way to go.

More recently, though, a new program called RC Scoring Pro has hit the market, and THIS is the software I would recommend to everybody. It is written quite well and loads quickly and reliable, its practice mode cannot be topped -- especially for big events -- and some of the scoreboard and results features simply have no equal. Check it out at http://www.rcscoringpro.com if you are interested.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you do change, Autoscore is the favorite right now....

There are a few others coming out soon also, but they are still in Beta...
Checkout:

www.RCScoringPro.com
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Here's one that was on the Orion News feed. It's free

http://www.rctiming.com/
Old 12-10-2003, 04:35 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Thumbs up RCScoringPro

This system will be one of the better ones out once it is complete if its not already.

This system was used to run practice at the Novak race last year and was a big hit and from what I have heard super easy to use and follow.

Keep an eye out for it once its ready for Track use......
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Do the different scoring systems require different transponders? that's got to be a big pain in the *** and cost a lot to carry multiple transponders around with you.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
R/C Tech Founder

All the ones I mentioned above are for use with the AMBrc system, the personal transponders we use today.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My local track has used Alycat for many years without too many problems. Works with AMB transponders.
http://www.alycat.com/
oldnwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Out of the ones I tried myself find JLAP the easiest to use but I have not tried www.RCScoringPro.com yet, no download on site to try it though.

Just a couple bugs in JLap so far in using it the past 6 months, only thing is the bugs keep happening every once in awhile.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Hey!

I didn't even know this forum existed.

My software is 99% done, it is in final testing. The practice portion is done, and the scoring portion is done too. I just need to add points season and bump ups. Bump ups can be done now since I can add a racer automatically whena racer crosses the line.

The Minnreg crew asked me to come to the big Losi race in April. I had a few hundred people at Snowbirds tell me how cool it was, and it was the best RC software they had ever seen.

If any tracks want to try a copy, email me.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:46 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

We use alycat as well.

it has lots of options and runs great.
support is great and we have even had options added to the next release by just asking for them.

Overall very good.
also he is looking for usa sites to run the software so im sure he will be happy to hear from you.

Peter
scorpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:50 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Doug,
Shoot me an e-mail. I've been kicking aroudn the idea of writing some sort of scoring system for the Pocket PC. I'd actually like the ability to download lap times and such to a pocket pc for analysis. Either way, shoot me an e-mail, I'd like to talk with you further about this.

Blake

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier
Default Sparc

Of anybody using the new sparc software from AMB, Is there a way to print out a "race schedule" showing drivers names, transponder number (if there not using a personal)? I've tried, and can only print out per class. Since we run several classes, it makes for several pages of text vs just a couple w/the classes listed one after another.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey, is there anybody out there using this !! www.rctiming.com
Just came across it while doing a search. It's a FREE download !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #15
Tech Elite

There are other programs as well. Good to have a choice. I have somewhere around 4000 hours of work into RC Scoring Pro so far, with a ton of cool features coming. Maybe we can get Shane to do a RC Software shootout!

The guys at Snowbirds loved my practice software. If you know anybody who went to Snowbirds, ask them how they liked RC Scoring Pro.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote