R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #451
Tech Master
 
Keith Billanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BUFFALO
Posts: 1,794
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Are you talking spindles, or caster blocks? Like i said, the caster blocks felt identical to tamiya ones..

I never run aluminum parts like that (casters, hubs, spindle carriers).. I run the cars just the like factory guys would.


i dont know what you mean by down stops.. I am assuming you mean you are limiting the down travel on the front shocks? I didnt do this.

My car was dialed. Honestly, for an out of the box performance like i just had-- it reminds me of my corally years-- errr months..

The only reason i am considering milling the top deck is because i want my SMC Lipo to fit under the top deck, with a lipo tray retarded, yes. But its gotta look cool, right ??

Car #2 arrived today-- RCMarket sent the car 4 days after i paid for the one from the other place which i wont even name to give them publicity. The RC market car was here in 6 days... this car, well.. was ordered some time around the 25th..

Keith
__________________
OUT
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #452
Tech Addict
 
PaPeRo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05forfun View Post
Giant is from Taiwan
China/Taiwan same thing...unless you think the latter has some kind of tooling/engineering advaantage that I'm not aware of.
PaPeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #453
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,980
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

This will please the yanks, i believe that Associated / Thunder Tiger are moving from Taiwan to China casue it is cheaper

I wonder if the same bashers will once again back up the "American" Associated
__________________
12th Scale - The premier class (if you can make runtime)
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #454
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,439
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
China/Taiwan same thing...
Wrong... Again. Kind of like saying Canada/America same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
unless you think the latter has some kind of tooling/engineering advaantage that I'm not aware of.
Correct
__________________
SMOKEM --- XPRESS --- MONTECH --- SRT
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #455
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 422
Default

thunder tiger has manufactured parts for associated in china for a long time. american designed maybe but not american manufactured (doesnt really matter where its designed or where its made as long as the quality is good)

enough off topic..

interesting reading on the 416 copy now! might have to rethink on buying one!
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #456
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed View Post
thunder tiger has manufactured parts for associated in china for a long time. american designed maybe but not american manufactured (doesnt really matter where its designed or where its made as long as the quality is good)

enough off topic..

interesting reading on the 416 copy now! might have to rethink on buying one!
Where is it one can be bought. Im in Canada. Not sure I want to hack through 30 some pages.lol.Sry if this is a stupid question.
xxkalladorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #457
alb
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti View Post
Are you talking spindles, or caster blocks? Like i said, the caster blocks felt identical to tamiya ones..

I never run aluminum parts like that (casters, hubs, spindle carriers).. I run the cars just the like factory guys would.


i dont know what you mean by down stops.. I am assuming you mean you are limiting the down travel on the front shocks? I didnt do this.

My car was dialed. Honestly, for an out of the box performance like i just had-- it reminds me of my corally years-- errr months..

The only reason i am considering milling the top deck is because i want my SMC Lipo to fit under the top deck, with a lipo tray retarded, yes. But its gotta look cool, right ??

Car #2 arrived today-- RCMarket sent the car 4 days after i paid for the one from the other place which i wont even name to give them publicity. The RC market car was here in 6 days... this car, well.. was ordered some time around the 25th..

Keith
TWO cars......
alb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #458
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a house of dreamz.
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed View Post
thunder tiger has manufactured parts for associated in china for a long time. american designed maybe but not american manufactured (doesnt really matter where its designed or where its made as long as the quality is good)

enough off topic..

interesting reading on the 416 copy now! might have to rethink on buying one!

If you manage your expectations right and stay off the boards I am sure you wont regret it
BlueBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #459
Tech Addict
 
PaPeRo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post
Wrong... Again. Kind of like saying Canada/America same thing...


Correct
That's a moot point dude. Canada and America have pretty much the same level of competence when it comes to engineering and manufacturing. The fact they're seperate countires is irrelevent.

Now since you seem to be an authority figure on this matter show me some evidence of why China isn't capable of designing and manufacturing a RC car that Taiwan is capable of.

Stop handwaving and back up your argument.
PaPeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #460
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,439
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
That's a moot point dude. Canada and America have pretty much the same level of competence when it comes to engineering and manufacturing. The fact they're seperate countires is irrelevent.
Dude, the point is you tried to illustrate an example of a Chinese company producing quality products but named a Taiwanese company. And when someone pulled you up on it, you said "China/Taiwan same thing". I have Taiwanese friends who would be offended with a comment like that. The Canada/America reference was made to help you appreciate that a little more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
Now since you seem to be an authority figure on this matter show me some evidence of why China isn't capable of designing and manufacturing a RC car that Taiwan is capable of.

Stop handwaving and back up your argument.
Well I can purchase a Team Magic chassis and be competitive in nitro or electric onroad. I can also buy a Hobao/OFNA 1/8th nitro or electric buggy and also be competitive. Both are designed by Taiwanese companies and have successfully competed at a high level. Can't recall any Chinese companies that have done the same. But they will do so very soon - that I agree with. Until then, we should get back to the topic of the Chinese-copy 416...
__________________
SMOKEM --- XPRESS --- MONTECH --- SRT

Last edited by veecee; 09-08-2009 at 11:41 PM.
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #461
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti View Post
Are you talking spindles, or caster blocks? Like i said, the caster blocks felt identical to tamiya ones..

I never run aluminum parts like that (casters, hubs, spindle carriers).. I run the cars just the like factory guys would.


i dont know what you mean by down stops.. I am assuming you mean you are limiting the down travel on the front shocks? I didnt do this.

My car was dialed. Honestly, for an out of the box performance like i just had-- it reminds me of my corally years-- errr months..

The only reason i am considering milling the top deck is because i want my SMC Lipo to fit under the top deck, with a lipo tray retarded, yes. But its gotta look cool, right ??

Car #2 arrived today-- RCMarket sent the car 4 days after i paid for the one from the other place which i wont even name to give them publicity. The RC market car was here in 6 days... this car, well.. was ordered some time around the 25th..

Keith
The alu caster blocks are used by quite a few top drivers actually, as the stock hard ones are too brittle and the TA05IFS soft ones have a lot of slack. I would recomened them over plastic. There is such little play and they dont bend.

Im pretty shocked your car was 'dialed'. Then again, I have been driving xrays a long time and they are def more dialed out the box on carpet.

The downstops are pretty much a must on touring cars. If you use no downtravel, the droop will be very high, so the car will transfer too much weight on and off throttle. Then again, it works ok outdoors without downstops.

It depends where you are running this car in terms of how dialled it is. Almost all touring cars are dialled outdoors to me.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #462
Tech Master
 
Keith Billanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BUFFALO
Posts: 1,794
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg123456 View Post
The alu caster blocks are used by quite a few top drivers actually, as the stock hard ones are too brittle and the TA05IFS soft ones have a lot of slack. I would recomened them over plastic. There is such little play and they dont bend.

Im pretty shocked your car was 'dialed'. Then again, I have been driving xrays a long time and they are def more dialed out the box on carpet.

The downstops are pretty much a must on touring cars. If you use no downtravel, the droop will be very high, so the car will transfer too much weight on and off throttle. Then again, it works ok outdoors without downstops.

It depends where you are running this car in terms of how dialled it is. Almost all touring cars are dialled outdoors to me.
Downstops= do you mean droop? Of course i have droop settings, i think I was around 2mm in the front at 4 in the rear.

When someone says downstops== to me, that is an external spacer on the shock, limiting the amount of down travel the shock has. Or in the case of the JRXS, it is the hole we never use on the arm that limits down travel.

Droop is essential.

Dialed to me= easy to drive and consistent. It was super easy to drive, and it was very consistent. This is one thing i will not miss from Losi. Once i started running the production JRXS-R (well, pre pro, as i never actually did get a production kit) it seemed it was a toss up= easy to drive and slow, or really fast and inconsistent.

this car was a dream come true. Then again, it was only the first day. Could be a nightmare this sunday

aluminum casters= I was considering running the more firm casters i got from Tamiya.. only because i can imagine what is happening to them in a turn will all of the stress a caster block has. On my foam car, maybe ill look into the aluminum. We will see how the hard plastics hold up.

@ALB= yep, one foam, one rubber. Foam car will be used for RCGT if we can get it off the ground. Get off the bench and into the game. Fastcats this sunday, the NEW Gate next sunday.

KB
__________________
OUT
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #463
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: goldcoast
Posts: 64
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post

. Both are designed by Taiwanese companies and have successfully competed at a high level. Can't recall any Chinese companies that have done the same. But they will do so very soon - that I agree with. Until then, we should get back to the topic of the Chinese-copy 416...
nanda racing is a chinese companie there 1/8th buggy has good design and has win some race around the world .
racingkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #464
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,439
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for pointing that out - didn't know that one. And I can name Hong Nor, Thunder Tiger, CEN, Neo (which HPI bought and turned the Neo tourer into the Sprint) off the top of my head. Anyway I don't think we need to continue down this track...
__________________
SMOKEM --- XPRESS --- MONTECH --- SRT
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #465
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti View Post
Downstops= do you mean droop? Of course i have droop settings, i think I was around 2mm in the front at 4 in the rear.

When someone says downstops== to me, that is an external spacer on the shock, limiting the amount of down travel the shock has. Or in the case of the JRXS, it is the hole we never use on the arm that limits down travel.

Droop is essential.

Dialed to me= easy to drive and consistent. It was super easy to drive, and it was very consistent. This is one thing i will not miss from Losi. Once i started running the production JRXS-R (well, pre pro, as i never actually did get a production kit) it seemed it was a toss up= easy to drive and slow, or really fast and inconsistent.

this car was a dream come true. Then again, it was only the first day. Could be a nightmare this sunday

aluminum casters= I was considering running the more firm casters i got from Tamiya.. only because i can imagine what is happening to them in a turn will all of the stress a caster block has. On my foam car, maybe ill look into the aluminum. We will see how the hard plastics hold up.

@ALB= yep, one foam, one rubber. Foam car will be used for RCGT if we can get it off the ground. Get off the bench and into the game. Fastcats this sunday, the NEW Gate next sunday.

KB
Downstops are gauges that measure the downtravel on the arms. There are many ways in measuring droop really. I think the thing youre on about is rebound stroke, when you add an amount of shims or tubing to the shock rod, to stop it from traveling back in to the body too far.

Your droop settings sound like what I had when the front wheels were lifting from the ground. I havent had the same luck as you in setup. I will try some things differently on Saturday, if my club is open for practice. The car is doing decent times, but the car is unstable to drive through chicanes and entering high speed corners.

I didnt get the hard plastic caster blocks, as theyre brittle on the real car. Most common part to break on the 416 at my track. I wanted solid ones that didnt break, this why I got alu ones. Bit heavier though.

My friend had a JRXS Losi RC car, so I can only imagine why you prefer this one! - It hardly ever completed a race and was a bit of a pig to drive. He changed it to an xray 09 and he went up 2 finals! - I will point out that all the indoor layouts I race in are unforgiving in a crash. High speed corner leading onto the straight etc with a concrete wall if you clip the edge of the corner leading onto the straight.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Touring / On-Road RC Screaming Wind Manila Racers 32167 05-02-2017 11:20 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net