Wiki Posts
Search

TRF shocks on my BMI TC3......>>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default TRF shocks on my BMI TC3......>>>

Finally!

The Tamiya TRF Coated Shocks arrived this morning and I was eager to install them. I will offer a couple points on the install on the TC3 that I found.

The shocks are a tad short. I ended up using different ball ends on the shafts to achieve the desired length, otherwise my droop settings were affected.

Also an importnat thing to note:

These are absolutely the smoothest shocks I have ever felt! Brand new, and they feel so smooth I found my self just sliding the shafts in and out giggling to myself! I started with #2 pistons up front and #3 in teh rear with 35wt oil. It's too cold here today to race the car tonight, but I really think these shocks are outstanding. In fact I am heading out there to just feel how smooth my suspenison is... my wife thinks I am crazy! Earlier I came in the house trying to get her to feel how smooth the stroke is on these beauties
Old 12-06-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Initiate

I take it you are using rubber tires, so if I install these on a foam shod car I should be good?

What droop setting are you running? This way I can figure out how the conversion will affect me.

Cheers,
Phil Matthews #99
Gizzmo Racing
Old 12-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiya Shocks are da best......
Saw pix of the new MI2 from Cleveland race......they used Tamiya shocks!!!!!

http://www.nashrcracer.com/cleveland2003/mi2/mi2_04.htm

Old 12-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

I take it you are using rubber tires, so if I install these on a foam shod car I should be good?
What droop setting are you running? This way I can figure out how the conversion will affect me.
I am running rubber you are correct. I don't know if these shocks are the magic tip, but I have never felt anything so smooth and consistant especially being brand new. Usually in my experience new shocks have always been stiff and inconsistant shock to shock.

Droop on my set-up is 6 front - 5 rear.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

I too don't believe that you are going to gain a lap just by bolting on shocks. BUT when you are making small incremental changes, it is REALLY important to have consistancy. And everything I have heard about the TRF shocks is that they are THE smoothest, and most consistant from rebuild to rebuild (on carpet, I am always playing with oil weight and pistons!!!).

Keep us up to date on the developments!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Are these what you are talking about?

Tower - Shocks

Saw them on ebay for 40... been wanting another set of shocks for my TC3 to make changes quicker.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Are these what you are talking about?
Tower doesn't show an image, but I think those are the same. The Flourine coated TRF's in Blue is exactly what I have.

I paid $45 on eBay for them directly from Hong Kong. I paid for them on November 24th, the shipped on the 26th and they showed up today. Not too bad considering shipping was only $6.00 airmail!

Here they are on my BMI Racing TC3...>>>

Old 12-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Johnny, Is that the std associated top mounting ball that you are using??
Old 12-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Johnny, Is that the std associated top mounting ball that you are using??
Good Eyes!

Yes all 4 upper shock mounts use the plastic ball, it fits perfectly in the TRF shock. You snap it in just like a steel ball, but once in it moves perfectly free like it was designed to be there.
Upper Shock Bushings

On the lower mounts I ended up using the stock OEM AE plastic Heim joint style rod ends that screw to the arms. That made up the difference I needed to get the proper shock length I required.
Lower Shock Rod Ends
Old 12-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Silly question, but those are standard AE springs, right?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Silly question, but those are standard AE springs, right?
Yes they are, you are correct.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you guys realise the flourine/teflon is all on the shock shafts only right?
LOL,they are the best , but what's wrong with the AE ones?
i have both and the difference is quite minimal if u have the unobtainium shocks.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

I know this is totally unrelated to the original post but, NitroJohnnyD, that's got to be one of the sweetest TC3s I've ever seen can you post more pictures of it?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

you guys realise the flourine/teflon is all on the shock shafts only right?
Actually the coating is on the inside of the shock body as well. And I can tell you from my experience with many types of shocks (Mostly nitro stuff) these are the smoothest, most consistent shocks I have ever assembled, period - bar none. All of my future cars, nitro & electric will ALL have these dampers on them.

I know this is totally unrelated to the original post but, NitroJohnnyD, that's got to be one of the sweetest TC3s I've ever seen can you post more pictures of it?
Wow! That's really nice of you to say. The car isn't even completed yet! Don't get me wrong, it's assembled and race ready but there is quite a few more dress up, aluminum & Titanium items I want to install that will hopefully help out in the visual department. I'll get a few more images and get them up later or tomorrow. Thanks again for the kind words, I am really proud of the car so far. Gotta thank Jason at BMI Racing (www.bmiracing.com) for that awesome Carbon Fiber chassis, that sucker alone makes the whole look of the car!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oops my mistake,yeah the shock body also has teflon...forgive the brain freeze heehee...
for the price u paid,it was a bargain!!and to top it off u have the blue covers...me envious...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.