R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2004, 07:21 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

I watched a video from this years Reedy Race where Masami passed every car on the track after starting last... was very impressive..... the best in the world can pass on a tight track....
brians11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:35 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well actually at Reedy Events oneways are not allowed. They were actually using spools up front to have better braking balance which just proves my point.

At the DHI Cup, recently run, Hara with his PRO 4 overtook the whole field on the first of the three finals and the track was ultra tight and they were using oneways.

My point is not that it cannot be done. It is just extremely difficult like South Africa proved that with Surikarn beating Barry for the first half of the race simply by blocking him most of the time.

Personaly, Surikarn is my favorite driver but it was obvious that Barry had the fastest machine that day.
John Doucakis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:44 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thought I'd throw an opinion in. I like both types of tracks. The only thing I hate is when the layout is EXTREMLY hard to get a nice line through. Weather it's tight or open. I think if the layout is too difficult to be consistant, the racers aren't racing each other, they're racing the track and the guy who screws up the line the least wins. Now, at the level we're talking about being the worlds, I know that's hard to make a layout that's too tough for the drivers. But I'm talking in general. The track should have some difficulty to it, but don't make it a maze of one line corners with one good passing point on the layout.

Just my opinion.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

John : Actually I've never made the trip to Lostallo... neither for 8th scale gas nor for 10th scale EP...

What I can tell you is Lostallo has a very peculiar reputation in Europe and in switzerland. Everybody agrees that it is a fantastic track for the speed feeling it provides, but most deplore the fact that it kills both motors and engines...

If you're racing gas, you have to be very lean because it's a high speed track. Lean means short life time. If you're not at 105% leanness you're eaten alive by people who can afford one engine per weekend race.

If you're racing electro, you have to time your motor really high and have KILLER batteries. At the end of the round, your motor is TOAST. You have to redo it every round.

I know lots of people who refuse to race in Lostallo for these reasons. I'm one of them... Plus, to me, racing means hitting the throttle and the brakes and turning the wheels hard and often!

But I do value your opinion too

Later
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:43 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well said Lonestar.

I agree that when your equipment dies faster than expected it is frustrating and for such reasons large and long race tracks may not be very popular amongst racers.

John Doucakis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #36
Tech Adept

The 1/12th Worlds should be on carpet. Period.

That track in Florida is nice and all, but it is ridiculous for the 1/12th worlds. A real shame.
insideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:30 AM   #37
FTSPEEDWAY

Quote:
Originally posted by insideline
The 1/12th Worlds should be on carpet. Period.

That track in Florida is nice and all, but it is ridiculous for the 1/12th worlds. A real shame.
Why should the 1/12th be on carpet. The past 2 worlds i believe have been on asphalt with really good close races. We are making a one special layout just for the 1/12th scale and one special layout just for the 1/10 scales.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Adam Hartzell

I prefer 1/12 an carpet but asphalt is a lot of fun when you factor all of the wheel spin that comes with runnung a low wind motor.
Adam Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 AM   #39
Tech Master

Without any intention to challange someone elses opinions what so ever..

It comes to my senses that if they requested to use ball diff in front on Reedy Race, would it be because shaft driven cars (AE/Reedy) have more problems running with front oneways? I'm talking about bevel gears and braking problems (that's why Quantum 2 Escs has been developed closely with AE on braking features that would help shaft driven cars).

Just something that I tought... surely a lot of people would have different views.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #40
che
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Without any intention to challange someone elses opinions what so ever..

It comes to my senses that if they requested to use ball diff in front on Reedy Race, would it be because shaft driven cars (AE/Reedy) have more problems running with front oneways? I'm talking about bevel gears and braking problems (that's why Quantum 2 Escs has been developed closely with AE on braking features that would help shaft driven cars).

Just something that I tought... surely a lot of people would have different views.
When using a front one-way, you really cannot use hard brakes without the car snapping around on you.

Although front one-ways can be faster, given this non-brake factor, people would not be able to use their brakes to avoid other cars or accidents, so they would just use other vehicles as brakes, etc, especially in the very first turn on the first lap.
Guys would be taken out completely by another driver who did not/could not use their brakes.

Mike Reedy wanted to avoid this and help avoid mishaps and leave it to the driving ability and equipment, so he did not allowed front one-ways mostly for this reason.

It has nothing to do with shaft/belt or gears.
AE guys run one-ways everywhere else without equipment issuess.

And I believe, most switched to and ran a solid spool over a ball diff. With the spool you have one-way like charateristcs and still have brakes.
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #41
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by FTSPEEDWAY
Why should the 1/12th be on carpet. The past 2 worlds i believe have been on asphalt with really good close races.
The past two 1/12th Worlds have not been anywhere near close races. Masami destroyed everyone at both events. Had they been on carpet he probably would not have won--and even if he did it wouldn't have been so easy.
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:20 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by che

Mike Reedy wanted to avoid this and help avoid mishaps and leave it to the driving ability and equipment, so he did not allowed front one-ways mostly for this reason.

Yes, that`s what I heard too
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:27 PM   #43
Tech Regular

The past two Reedy Races I've been to have had the no one-way rule and the racing has been extremely clean. All the drivers are at such a high level that they are able to completely control their car under deceration with the spool. It just adds another dimention to the racing by being able to out brake your opponent.

But enough about the Reedy Race, has there been a metion as to what tires will be used?
51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I would be willing to bet CS-27's will be the tire..
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:33 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by TimPotter
I would be willing to bet CS-27's will be the tire..
correct they are the preworld tires dunno about actual race.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote