R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #16
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by che
Exactly, they will have to shorten/alter the track a lot.
Or everyone will have to find some REALLY big pinions!
this track has two lay outs a awesome one for nitro and a shorter one for electric.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Anthony
What are the track dimensions?
Brand new asphalt (unsealed)
250' x 100'
The length per lap is 1075'
Meets all ROAR and Ifmar specs
Travel lanes are 15' wide
Painted lanes and barriers
Minimum of 5' between travel lanes and barriers
Designated Pit Lane
AMB Personal Transponder system
8' tall driver stand
Old 01-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

isn't that an 1/8th scale track??? or how big is the track worlds is going to be run on?

Last edited by Greg Anthony; 01-17-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:11 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Anthony
isn't that an 1/8th scale track??? or how big is the track worlds is going to be run on?
its going to use the shorter version of the track

you can see the shorter version in this picture
Old 01-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Is 250' x 100' ... the size of the whole track? Are these inches, what? Thanks
dhiracing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dhiracing.com
Is 250' x 100' ... the size of the whole track? Are these inches, what? Thanks
is in feet not inches , but i guess if it was in inches it would be a perfect electric track
Old 01-18-2004, 07:24 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Adam Hartzell

Its hard to tell what the shorter layout is. Even so a 250' straight is huge for 1/10 or 1/12.
Adam Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #23
FTSPEEDWAY

The track for the worlds will be plenty small enough for both 1/12 and 1/10 scale. We will have a fast flowing but technical layout that wont drain batteries. if you have any questions you can pm me or email me [email protected]
Old 01-19-2004, 04:13 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Worlds Layout

FTSPEEDWAY.

Hi, this is John,

I emailed you in the past and you sent me some very good info regarding your racetrack.

As far as the layout. I do not know who is responsible for the layout, but I think that our Touring cars are very limited in performance when they are forced to race in compact and tight racetracks, such as the one at the 2002 Worlds in Australia. In Europe we race in large outdoors tracks and it really is very exciting to drive and have a constant flow through the turns at high speeds of over 40mph.

I really do not understand why people like small tracks. Let the little cars use some full throttle for more than just 2-3 seconds. Also, from a video in the beginning of this tread (www.alucard.cc/kreidel/fts.wmv). I measured that the Touring cars would cover a lap in around 17 seconds. I think that this is ideal for our class. Any less is too much repetition.

Here is a link to the track that I race.
http://www.frt.gr/efra_track.htm
At the front straight we reach speeds of 60+mph! 1/8th scale cars reach speeds of 75+mph!!

These are just my thoughts.

John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:41 AM   #25
Tech Regular

john u have PM
Motorsports00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:53 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

usually the smaller tracks are more technical (usually) like the track i race at, which i what alot of people probably like. its all personal preference. i like open flowing tracks and tight technical tracks.

the track you race at looks fun, high speed and technical
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazza_D

Were the 2002 worlds not in South Africa???? Or were you on about the 1/8th scale worlds? Looks a very fast track guys, and I look forward to seeing it first hand when the worlds is on. Its about time I had a holiday over that way and what better excuse do you need!!

See you trackside, or in a bar sometime!
Gazza_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #28
Tech Master

Yep, you are correct. It was South Africa 2002 ISTC Worlds.

Anyway, I think larger tacks are better. Another advantage is that you don't have to overtake laped cars all the time.

Anyone knows when are we going to know what the layout will look like?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:37 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

John: they're not better... you just happen to like them more, and think they better fit your driving style.

Fast, flowing tracks do not reflect one's driver's and chassis setup skills as well as tight, technical tracks with lots of transients where the car and the pilot's skills are very sollicited. Anyone can go very fast, full throttle, in a 100yds radius curve... not anyone can outbrake its competitor on a hairpin that follows a tight chicane with a very challenging driving line.

The best drivers shine even more on tracks with the most accelerations and brakings. It's simply more challenging... and you want worlds to be as challenging as possible, because it's... the worlds!

I race both 8th scale onroad outdoors in summer and 10th scale electric sedan indoor in winter... and I can tell you that racing 10th scale outdoors on 8th scale tracks is not what I enjoy.

Long live Pac-man style tracks

Later,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 AM   #30
Tech Master

Lonestar ,

It isn´t so much a matter of fitting my driving style better. Just that I like high speed racing.

Also I don´t see how you believe that tight tracks have more action. When the level of competition is high and people use one-ways and grip is high it is almost impossible to pass. So many times the front guy protects his line and the game is over. What can you do, crash into him? In a larger track you can line up the guy infront, prepare your move through the use of different lines and then take advantage of a long straight and pass the guy.

With the use of oneways there is really very little braking, if any. You just lift the throtle turn in and that´s it. At least in larger track you have more space to pick a different line from the guy ahead of you.

If you scale up the size of most of the tracks electric cars race at compared to the cars' size it is not very nicely balanced. Imagine real touring cars racing in tracks made for go karts, completing a lap in 13-15 seconds.
Ok, it is a bad example, but I think you understand where I am getting at.

In some very tight tracks in my country I have been quite dominant, so it is not a matter of what suits me well.

Regarding chassis set up and driving skills in any track it is equaly important. Maybe you don´t race too often electric cars on a large track to understand what I mean.

Anyway, it is defenetly a matter of taste and personal preference. I am interested though on your opinions...

If you are from Switzerland haven´t you raced at Lostallo? Don´t you like that track? 2002 European champs were done over there and I have the tape and it is very impressive.

Last edited by John Doucakis; 01-20-2004 at 07:18 AM.