R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2002, 02:33 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT
Default Victor-IQ

Some years ago there was a pretty good company on the market called Victor. They made excellent chargers and testers, but then disappeared from the market. Many of these devices are still in use, but the program revisions are from the early -90s.
So the question: Does anyone know of any good sites, where information and better software is available for the Victor-IQ and Victor Super-IQ? Many of my friends would appreciate the knowledge.
Thanks in advance, Jesse
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 03:08 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Airwide Send a message via MSN to Airwide

Hi JesseT!
There's a guy here in Sweden that repair and upgrade Victor chargers. Send me an email and I will try to get hold of him.
Airwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:49 AM   #3
Tech Master

I have no idea who bought whom or other things but Victor Engineering is now PROTRACK
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:06 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pyramid: The ProTrak charger has been around for some time! It was distributed in the U.S. by Ballistic Batteries years back. It was out when the Victor line of chargers were still being sold and updated.
JesseT: Go to www.cadvision.com/capris , there still may be some info posted there, not sure if that site is still up. It was run by a guy in Canada that was doing repairs and upgrades on Victors, but stopped doing it a few months back. If you have any questions you can contact him at [email protected], his name is Sam and he knows pretty much everything there is to know about Victors chargers and how to repair them.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Deltaman
Default Victor

Victor was purchased by Maxtec (in Sothern Calif), and they were doing the upgrades and repairs for a while (thus the 3000 Nihm program and red faced IQ3000 with Maxtec Logo) I Sent mine into them and had it upgraded just before the quit returning calls (Late '99 early '00)

Pyramid: I would love to hear more about the ProTrack stuff and even if they are not the same if they follow some of the same philosophy about charging I would be willing to look into a Pro Track charger. Is Vic who used to own Victor now working with/for/consulting for Protrack or something. Any additional news would be great
Deltaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 12:52 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Deltaman: go to www.users.zetnet.co.uk/pro-trak/ for info on the protrak charger. From the coments I have heard from people who own one it sounds like a great charger!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:46 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Victor Chargers

Anyone has any information on Victor chargers?

How does the IQ3000 compare with the highest end chargers that are available today (Schulze, Turbo 35, Orbit etc.)

Also... if anyone has one that they want to sell...
jwwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:15 PM   #8
Tech Regular

How do the Victors compare? They are just as good or better than the other mentioned chargers in my opinion, (with the exception of no product support due to the demise of Maxtec/Victor)! I own two QuadIQ chargers and one Super2 IQ that has been upgraded to the 3000 specs. The cool thing with all the Victor chargers was that they were never obsolete and could be upgraded with new software and hardware when the advancements of motors and batteries demanded it! Victor also offered many things that other chargers did not, such as the Zapper attachment, the multiplexor attachment that made the charger into a full time matcher, the motor test functions and Commutator checking tool, and one of the first to have a temp sensor available, etc. The unfortunate thing now is that there no longer is Maxtec/Victor, which makes it hard if you do need repairs or upgrades. There are a few people around that can do these services for you, so it is not hopeless! As far as having one to sell, sorry, I plan on keeping all the Victor stuff I own! You might want to check regularly on Ebay, they show up on there occasionally.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:31 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Thanks!

Could you tell me a little about the 3000 version? I suppose its compatible with today's batteries?

As for servicing and upgrades... from what I've heard, the ultra-hi level of programmability leaves little to be desired... what's your opinion?

Also, people speak of mysterious individuals in Canada etc. that can service these chargers... are they still around?

Are these chargers reliable in your opinion? 'Cos if they are... then servicing might really not be much of an issue...

thanks for your help!

jwwu
Old 02-23-2002, 08:18 PM   #10
Tech Regular

The actual IQ3000 unit when sold from Maxtec/Victor had a red anodized casing unlike mine which is or was a Super IQ2 that was upgraded later on. The 3000 came with the backlit display, and a NiMh specific battery charging selection on the menu screen, but this is and was available on older Victors just under a different name, I believe it was the Voltage Pull charge! These chargers with the Voltage pull or NimH charge are completely capable and up to date for use with the Panasonic and Sanyo 3000 NiMh batterys, and of course the regular peak and flex charge for regular NiCd packs. The only other significant changes were a little higher discharge rate and the included Zapper software which you needed to use the Zapper. The IQ3 Was almost identical to the IQ3000, it was the first charger released under the Maxtec/Victor joint venture, it had the red case also but no backlite, some different software as well I believe! The reliability issue is more up in the air, when I first purchased my Super2 brand new in 92' or 93' , I had a problem with it after the first few months, I can't remember what it was now though. I had to send it in, later on I had a problem with power up of the menu screen, but I called Victor and they explained to me over the phone how to fix this and it worked (didn't cost anything), all the other problems I had with it were my fault not the chargers, I shorted it out once! Other than that I haven't had any problems in a long time. From what I have heard from Sam (that guy in Canada) most of the problems with the chargers was poor work done by the techs when doing upgrades and repairs. Some have had no problems at all and others have had many problems, from those people I have seen talk about it. If you are intersted in more info from someone who knows far more about these chargers than me, look through some of the previous posts on here where I post Sams email address and his web site concerning Victor chargers. I am sure he will steer you straight when looking into buying one of these chargers and what to look for when doing so to avoid and problems later on! There is another company in Canada that I have seen advertise on Ebay for doing speed control repair, on their website, they claim to be able to repair Chargers as well and they don't list brand specific, their address is www.members.shaw.ca/hiiq/fset.htm , I have never had any repairs done by them, nor do I know of anybody who has but they are worth a try. I have had work done by Sam and he does an excellent job of repairs and upgrades, but you will have to contact him and ask if he would be willing to do service for you being that he has stated that he no longer does service on these chargers, but it is still worth a try.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:32 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Personally, if I ever found a IQ3 or IQ3000 for sale for a very good price and was in good working condition, I would buy it without hesitation! I haven't seen very many of either of the above mentioned for sale and when they are up for sale a bunch of people want to buy it. They also sell for a good chunk of change used, like $200 or more for the ones I have seen sell on Ebay, so there is still a demand for them! But if you want something New that you don't want to have to worry about servicing (there's a good chance that this will happen, regardless of make) then I would suggest a Competition Electronics T35. They are also great chargers and have many functions and there support is just a phone call away, you won't have to break a sweat when you realise there is a problem with your charger!
Old 02-23-2002, 08:39 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the info... you have been more than helpful...

The reason why I'm interested in the Victor is because it seems to be the one charger on the market that is really very programmable... more than even stuff like Schulze and TB35...

you're right about the rarity of the IQ3000 units. Someone is selling one for 280. Still debating... if it's in great condition and has some of the hardware, then I'll be very tempted...

In the meantime, I'm gonna see what Sam's going to say...
Old 02-23-2002, 11:51 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

I own a Super2 IQ and really like it!!! I wish I had bought a quad that was posted but hesitated. I charge my NMH batteries on the voltage pull. I set it at a .02 and charge at 6 amps batteries come off way cooler than another charger I use for NHM as well. Some of the local guys are starting to use their Victors again because they can charge their new sanyo NMH at 10 amps with no problems. Plus you can cycle, discharge, break in motors, run your lathe, test ESC's. If I could find another at a reasonable pice I'd pick one up again. BTW I got mine for 120 on ebay...
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 12:38 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I bought my Super2 from a place called Finest RC, they used to advertise in RC Car Action a long time ago but they are no more. I got my first QuadIQ from Tower and the Second one I got brand new from a hobby shop in New York for only $125! The Quad was an idea that was long overdue, the ability to charge more than one battery pack especially four, was and is a great idea! I don't know how many times before I had my Quad when I was in a hurry to charge a pack before a heat and had just enough time to charge it, with the Quad those worries completely diminished. More than one charger in one charger, especially for practice, you only need to wait for the motor to cool, then you have 4 packs done in the same amount of time and only need to repeak just before you run them, it's great! Victor sure had some good ideas!
Old 02-24-2002, 08:08 AM   #15
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by minicooper
I own a Super2 IQ and really like it!!! I wish I had bought a quad that was posted but hesitated. I charge my NMH batteries on the voltage pull. I set it at a .02 and charge at 6 amps batteries come off way cooler than another charger I use for NHM as well. Some of the local guys are starting to use their Victors again because they can charge their new sanyo NMH at 10 amps with no problems. Plus you can cycle, discharge, break in motors, run your lathe, test ESC's. If I could find another at a reasonable pice I'd pick one up again. BTW I got mine for 120 on ebay...
Mini,

What setting are you running the lathe off of?