R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Tech Master

Questions?? Recharging LIPO after main to main

Excuse me guys, even i didn't buy already, but is thinking to buy LIPO batteries and chargers.

So i have some doubts about if need or not to discharging to prepare the battery to re-using at following run sessions.
How much current and V limit cut-off per cell (2s 7.4V packs) will anybody select on your chargers to discharging?

So, for example, after the 1st main if your car has trouble then you have stopped this main after just running 1-2 min, so your battery is still powerful, how will you treat it for next run?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Excuse me guys, even i didn't buy already, but is thinking to buy LIPO batteries and chargers.

So i have some doubts about if need or not to discharging to prepare the battery to re-using at following run sessions.
How much current and V limit cut-off per cell (2s 7.4V packs) will anybody select on your chargers to discharging?

So, for example, after the 1st main if your car has trouble then you have stopped this main after just running 1-2 min, so your battery is still powerful, how will you treat it for next run?

Best regards

Recharge it.. no need to discharge. Balancing them before hand can't hurt.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

If you get new lipo's ......Get the biggest one that will fit in your car, you can never have to much battery in any class

Best regards
Thats the good thing about lipo's .....You never have to or need to discharge them, you can charge them as many times a day as you want to and they will be the same all day long.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Recharge it.. no need to discharge. Balancing them before hand can't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
Thats the good thing about lipo's .....You never have to or need to discharge them, you can charge them as many times a day as you want to and they will be the same all day long.

Wait, if the battery is remaining 90% you still charge it, do you mean the chargers will auto-detect to stop until 4.2V per cell anyway without overcharging it, isn't it?

About you meant to "balancing them" i still don't understand, i just asking how the people treat the batteries during the race day. You mean me to put them in balance mode to replace charger mode or just switch anyway to "normal charge" mode, sorry, i don't understand?

About the discharging, how much current and voltage limit will the people put, or always just switching to storage for the safetiness of the battery after the raceday(eg: monday)?

Pardon for these stupid questions for the people which used LIPO so many years, in the case i am little chicken with this complex situations!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Tech Elite

The charger will cut off you don't need to discharge.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
The charger will cut off you don't need to discharge.
Pardon, you mean the chargers is safety without troublesome to overcharging since we switch the right voltage, isn't it?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Wait, if the battery is remaining 90% you still charge it, do you mean the chargers will auto-detect to stop until 4.2V per cell anyway without overcharging it, isn't it?

About you meant to "balancing them" i still don't understand, i just asking how the people treat the batteries during the race day. You mean me to put them in balance mode to replace charger mode or just switch anyway to "normal charge" mode, sorry, i don't understand?

About the discharging, how much current and voltage limit will the people put, or always just switching to storage for the safetiness of the battery after the raceday(eg: monday)?

Pardon for these stupid questions for the people which used LIPO so many years, in the case i am little chicken with this complex situations!
Balancing - once a while, I do that a night before race day!

Discharge - not at all, I never discharge it!
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Pardon, you mean the chargers is safety without troublesome to overcharging since we switch the right voltage, isn't it?
Not the 'right voltage', is the 'right amp'.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Tech Adept

On the Balancer, usually they have a 'balance through charging' mode. Just use this mode for balance the Lipo. Forget about Discharge it!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

LIPO charger's will not over charge......I use a balancer every time I charge my lipo's.

After you run your last race just put them away, there should be more then 50% left in them so thats good until you use them again.

The old lipo's were not as safe as the new one's......there is nothing to worry about.....You will like lipo's.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Not the 'right voltage', is the 'right amp'.
Will the chargers have auto-detech system, since you switch the right battery type, isn't it?

Quote:
On the Balancer, usually they have a 'balance through charging' mode. Just use this mode for balance the Lipo. Forget about Discharge it!
Wait will the battery full charged, then if balance mode is enough full, what normal charge is created for?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Will the chargers have auto-detech system, since you switch the right battery type, isn't it?

Yes!

Wait will the battery full charged, then if balance mode is enough full, what normal charge is created for?
When you trying to balance your lipo, plug in the balancer to the charger, and plug your lipo to the balancer, the balancer should be on 'balance through charging' mode, then start charge your lipo.When the charger detech fully charge, unplug everything that's it.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
When you trying to balance your lipo, plug in the balancer to the charger, and plug your lipo to the balancer, the balancer should be on 'balance through charging' mode, then start charge your lipo.When the charger detech fully charge, unplug everything that's it.
Ok, got it, i will remember this for my 1st LIPOs, thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
If your using a decent Lipo charger it will autodetect the voltage of the cell to a certain point and then switch over to a lower current and top off the battery, doing all this without over charging the pack. Its very safe as long as you don't do something crazy in your charger setup.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
r_s
Tech Initiate

some people recommend to wait the lipo to cool down before you recharge.
but other said it is ok to recharge it right after each run because lipo will cool down while being recharged. i personally follow the first opinion.

balance charging usually takes longer time than normal charging. so just use normal mode on the race day, balance it once a week/month.
r_s is offline   Reply With Quote