R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #481
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just picked up a set of the HPI F10 "M" compound tires. These seem to have less grip (out of the package) than the stock tires. Can someone familar with all 3 types of HPI F10 tires comment on the level of grip on each. It looks like the HPI F10 "S" compound is the softest tires, but where do the other 2 compounds compare?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #482
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Coldn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Hi everyone! Well I'm sorry to report that so far, HPI has not responded to my email to them concerning them coming out with a graphite chassis or a full-on "pro" version of the Formula Ten. I sent the email back on the 19th, almost a week ago now. I will try sending another email to them about this hopefully today sometime. I will post here if and when I hear back from HPI.
ohh its to bad.. but I will keep wait for this resport. tks Team Lotus
Coldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #483
Tech Master

Just ran my HPI F10 last night on carpet. Was running against 3 other cars all using stock parts, silver can motors and Tamiya F201 "A" compound rubber tires. The racing was very close and had a lot of fun. We are waiting on the shop to get the HPI "S" compound tires so we can see how they compare.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #484
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Well, last night I sent HPI another email requesting any info on the possibility of a graphite chassis for the Formula Ten as well as a "pro" version of the car that can compete with the Tamiya F104 Pro and the 3Racing F109.

I'm not giving up till I get an answer from them!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #485
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've got the HPI S and M compound tires and BOTH are a LOT grippier than the kit tires I have!! The KIT tires are HARD and smooth and DON'T grip at all. The soft tires I put on the rear---and I'm trying Mediums on the front--haven't races it yet at Westcoast---but may get some practice there next Tuesday. I'll probably pick up some S fronts also just in case I need more steering.
FWIW
Tim
timmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #486
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey, Tim

Let me know how the M fronts work. I am interested in your view on it as I put on the S fronts and I still think steering is a bit lacking.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #487
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

the M's are mediums...so there not going to be more steering than the S's, which are soft compound.I have the same opinion of the car as you do micro-e, it doesn't "turn in" hard enough for me, which is probably a caster issue, ..which, on this car isn't adjustable.what made mine slightly better, was putting the front king pin spacers on the bottom, lowering the chassis, and .016 associated springs on the king pins, with S compound tires in the front. also added a half ounce of weight as far forward as I could on the top deck.
we're only allowed to run odorless traction compound at our track, but what i do is soak the full width of my tires with black can paragon(wintergreen based) at home and store them in a plastic bag during the week. at the track, i treat the full width of all 4 tires with red sap traction compound.this process has produced the best results for steering and rear traction so far. the surface i'm running on is well seasoned indoor/outdoor carpet, which makes traction very similar to a medium grip asphalt surface, it constantly changes with temperature and humidity.
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #488
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To adjust caster...

Has anyone tried adding/substracting spacers where the upper arms mount to the uprights on the front part of the chassis? Assembly step #9 on page 15.

I can visually see that this changes the angle the upper arms swing back, but has it produced any noticeable effects?
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #489
Tech Master

I practiced this weekend on a ozite carpet track with good traction. Lowering the ride height on the car noticeably improved handling. Car still wanted to lift the inside front in sharp corners (using stock front springs). I was using an old set of the Tamiya F201 "A" tires and they seemed to work well once I brought them back to life with some black can Paragon. I might try some old F201 "B" tires and see how they do with a little tire prep.

- Do the stiffer Associated front springs prevent the inside front tire from lifting?
- What dampening grease have people been using on the stock friction shock and friction discs?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #490
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

indy racer...have you checked the spacing on your front wheels ?..i noticed that spacing mine out 1.5mm on each side helped with the lifting problem...also increased turn in and front traction. i run associated .020 springs in the front of my F109 on asphalt...these springs might also help on the HPI car.
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #491
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer1958 View Post
the M's are mediums...so there not going to be more steering than the S's, which are soft compound.I have the same opinion of the car as you do micro-e, it doesn't "turn in" hard enough for me, which is probably a caster issue, ..which, on this car isn't adjustable.what made mine slightly better, was putting the front king pin spacers on the bottom, lowering the chassis, and .016 associated springs on the king pins, with S compound tires in the front. also added a half ounce of weight as far forward as I could on the top deck.
we're only allowed to run odorless traction compound at our track, but what i do is soak the full width of my tires with black can paragon(wintergreen based) at home and store them in a plastic bag during the week. at the track, i treat the full width of all 4 tires with red sap traction compound.this process has produced the best results for steering and rear traction so far. the surface i'm running on is well seasoned indoor/outdoor carpet, which makes traction very similar to a medium grip asphalt surface, it constantly changes with temperature and humidity.
That's interesting---I'll let you all know after tomorrow night---I'm running in high bite asphalt--the kit tires were SOO bad I was afraid to put S on the front. Could have been a mistake---but I'll see!!
FWIW
Tim
timmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #492
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi guys, Im a noob to these F10s, Ive got one on the way and looking to do just some ashphalt runs ( No organized racing in area ).
Ive been reading this forum and noticed the mention of "Silver Can" for the motor. Can someone enlighten me on what is the Silver Can motor?
Also I have a Traxxas XL5 and the Traxxas Titan motor fornthis F10, am I way off on trying to use this set up, or will it work to get me going?
I do have the VXL system but from what Im reading its too much power for this vehicle, am I right?

Thanks for all responses.
2XRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #493
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Well today HPI sent me an email concerning my questions about a graphite chassis for the Formula Ten and they said they have no plans currently but are continuing to add more option/hop-up parts. What, I have no idea!
They did not answer my question concerning a full "pro" version of the car so I don't know where that's going either.
Basically they are being very vauge about the Formula Ten

My suggestion is for as many as possible to email HPI and request a graphite chassis and a "pro" version car; that's the only way this is ever going to happen!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #494
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post

- Do the stiffer Associated front springs prevent the inside front tire from lifting?
- What dampening grease have people been using on the stock friction shock and friction discs?
You may need to tighten down the 2 t-plate o-rings. This is where most of the chassis lift and roll is happening.

I'm using CRC thick damper lube and white associated damper pads (ream the hole open slightly to fit the F10 damper tube). These don't hang up as badly as the stock pads.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #495
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=53689

Tamiya Silver Can, box stock motor for most of their kits. Dirt cheap and used for many spec classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2XRevo View Post
Hi guys, Im a noob to these F10s, Ive got one on the way and looking to do just some ashphalt runs ( No organized racing in area ).
Ive been reading this forum and noticed the mention of "Silver Can" for the motor. Can someone enlighten me on what is the Silver Can motor?
Also I have a Traxxas XL5 and the Traxxas Titan motor fornthis F10, am I way off on trying to use this set up, or will it work to get me going?
I do have the VXL system but from what Im reading its too much power for this vehicle, am I right?

Thanks for all responses.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote