R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #466
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Tamiya F201 wheels will bolt right up to the HPI F10. However, the offset of the Front F201 wheels is narrower than the Front F10 wheels. The end result is that the front track is narrower.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #467
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default HPI Formula 10

hey guys i have one of these kits for sale on here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...0-shipped.html

i bought this as a kit and now i wanna try the COT series. im also throwing in a 3000 mah turnigy lipo for free. if anyone is interested shoot me a pm. thanks
smoke14317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #468
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

team lotus, xtreme rc cars magazine.is showing the new bodies as new products in the march issue of their mag. no release date given, just directing you to the hpi website for more info.
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #469
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default F10 Test

I tested a new F10 last night at the West Coast RC Raceway in Socal. They have a very nice indoor asphalt track with huge traction.

I am a novice racer and this is my first F1 car so take the following from that perspective:

Differences from kit parts and setup: ball diff and alum shock upgrades, HPI 'S' compound tires, lowest ride height possible with kit parts, and geared 95/26.

The car was way hooked up on the HPI 'S' tires and MUCH easier to drive than I anticipated. Towards the end of the session it actually felt a little too planted (stable), but that worked out for the best because that made it easy enough to keep off the barriers (well, mostly). Seemed like it could use a bit more steering - not reaction, just more throw, so I'll have to play with that.

I wish I could have got a better feel for the car, but my test got cut short when I smacked the wall at the end of the straight when I hit the brakes at the wrong time. The impact shifted the motor position just enough to assist me in promptly shredding the spur gear while driving it back to the driver stand. The plastic motor mount seemed a bit flimsy, but I thought it would be fine. I'll try the alum mount and that should solve that issue. After hitting a few barriers pretty hard, nothing broke or came dislodged. The car seems pretty tough.

Other than the plastic motor mount, I have no complaints. The car is very fun to drive, has tons of grip. Now I just need to ger a feel for driving it.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #470
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

rcracer1958, thanks for the heads-up about those pics in the March issue of Xtreme, I'll have to look for it.

I'm thinking that since that is an American rc magazine and they are showing those cars to the American public, then that puts pressure on HPI to sell them here in the States as HPI will look like jerks now if they don't. Kind of forces their hand maybe.

Let's hope so anyway.

To those who have emailed HPI cusomer service regarding these bodies and rtr versions of the Formula Ten shown at the 2010 Nurnberg show, thank you very much.

To everyone else who is looking on: What are you waiting for?!! Get those emails to HPI today!! The more that do, the better our chances are! If your not sure what we are talking about then go back through this thread and you will find out.

If you think it's a waste of time, you are dead wrong!! Just yesterday HPI sent me an email thanking me for my emails to them regarding this subject and that they are definitely looking at it! We are getting their attention!!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #471
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Coldn

did you know if is possible the HPI to launch a chassis in carbon fiber?
Coldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #472
Tech Fanatic

micro-e...when checking your steering, check that your rims are not rubbing on the upper control arm. mine were and limiting how much steering throw i could get. i wound up spacing my front wheels out 1.5 mm and gained about 5 degrees more steering throw as well as stopping the rubbing.one other change you might want to try is the front springs, i've found that the associated .016 springs calm down the bouncing of the front end, but they do increase steering input reaction.
don't know if you've done any shock tuning, but a tamiya yellow spring (13 lbs.) is working pretty good with 25wt. oil, 2 hole #56 piston.if the rear is too tight(causing a push) you can increase the oil weight,or if it's too loose(sliding the rear), lighten the oil weight. run the pivot pads dry, no grease and maximum spring tension.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #473
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Coldn, that is going to be the subject of my next email to HPI later today!

Not only am I going to ask about a carbon fiber chassis for the Formula Ten, but also about doing a full-on pro version with everything on it to compete with the Tamiya F104 Pro and the 3Racing F109.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #474
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips, rcracer1958! I'll give those things a try for my next runs.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #475
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

rcracer1958, is there any way you can scan in the page from March Xtreme RC concerning the HPI Formula Ten and those bodies and put it on this thread so that we can all see it?

Where I live they don't even have the March issue yet; just the February issue. We always sem to get things later around where I live then anywhere else. Also, I went to Xtreme's website and they don't even have the March issue up yet, which is typical as these rc car magazines(all of them) are notorious for being very slow about updating their websites.

Also, to Coldn and everyone else; I just sent HPI an email asking them when they will have a graphite chassis for the Formula Ten and when they will produce a "pro" version of the car. I'll let you all know when I hear back from them.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #476
Tech Fanatic

sorry bud...no scanner. i subscribe to xtreme so probably why i have it so soon
Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #477
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy630267 View Post
hi everyone i am new to the RWD world!!
gotta say it's fun to drive my f10!

i have just ordered the shimizu soft tires set and f201 wheels and ball diff, but dunno if the shimizu tires any good or not??!!

anyone heart of them before??!!

and i would like to know what sort of setup people used for asphalt track, so far i keep it standard height and using trf shocks with soft spring and 30 oil !!

also i am currently using 3000kv brushless, i found it quite powerful, so i was thinking to get something like 1900kv motor for my f10, so i can have some better throttle control? do you guys think 1900kv will be good for beginner??

thanks for help
i using front shimizu medium tire and rear soft tire.
it is better than hpi s tire, can provide more "grip".
Attached Thumbnails
HPI's new F1-hpi-f10-rb-5-.jpg  
sIUcHuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #478
Tech Fanatic

rcracer1958, today I saw the March issue of Xtreme and on page 48 is the blurb with the picture of the Formula Ten with the Renault body; however that is not the one from the Nurnberg toy fair which was of the 2009 Renault R39. The one pictured in Xtreme is the 2008 Renault and comes clear with the decals included.

I am pushing HPI to get us the pre-painted and decaled Renault R39 and Williams FW31 bodies as stand-alone products or as included in an RTR package as presented at the Nurnberg show.

If anyone sees any other pictures or info about these please post here!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Last edited by dag32; 03-03-2010 at 10:47 AM.
dag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #480
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Hi everyone! Well I'm sorry to report that so far, HPI has not responded to my email to them concerning them coming out with a graphite chassis or a full-on "pro" version of the Formula Ten. I sent the email back on the 19th, almost a week ago now. I will try sending another email to them about this hopefully today sometime. I will post here if and when I hear back from HPI.