R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #451
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

rcracer1958, we have some things in common. I assume 1958 is the year you were born; I was born in 1956 and I live about 100 miles north of you in Hudson Falls, NY and I am a lifelong F1 fan; it is my favorite form of auto racing, my favorite sport!! I have been racing rc on-road since 1987 and my first rc car was the Tamiya Road Wizard F1 car!

Anyway, I'm am not going to "flame" you; in fact I agree with what you have said. You might have noticed that the last few years HPI has pretty much left the racing scene to focus instead on regular mass appeal rc vehicles as that is where the money is. If you think back to the mid 1990's when F1 rc racing was popular (even made the cover of several rc magazines) the focus then was on parking lot racing, a return-to-basics thing which was spearheaded by the F1 class. HPI even made a pro-level F1 car then known as the Super F1 a good car! But then the touring car craze caught on as they were easier to drive then the F1 cars and F1 sort of died out.

I think perhaps HPI is trying to go a similar route again with a simple, cheap car with a flexible chassis that is better suited to parking lot driving whereas a stiff graphite chassis is better suited to carpet racing. It is my hope that HPI will come out with a "pro" version with graphite chassis, ball diff, full bearings, etc to compete with the F104 and the 3racing 109. HPI is probably sticking it's toe in the water so to speak with the Formula Ten to see how it goes before they commit to anything better.

As for me I prefer the Tamiya F104 for performance but I what I really like is "scale" racing; cars that look like the real thing, and that's where HPI comes in with those beautiful pre-painted and decaled Renault and Williams bodies. Not even Tamiya offers anything like that, and getting the modern F1 paint jobs just right and then finding the correct decals ( which can only be found overseas and are expensive) is increasingly difficult. I have even written Tamiya about offering a wider selection of bodies other than just the Ferrari F60 and including pre-painted and decaled versions but they haven't even bothered to write back, whereas HPI has responded and shown interest in learning what we the consumers want. That says something!!

My suggestion is to let HPI know how you feel and while your'e at it ask them about a "pro" version of the Formula Ten. I know that I will!!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #452
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We've got a few guys locally who are racing the HPI F10 on a small indoor carpet track. They decided to run the cars as they come out of the box with no upgrades. They are keeping this a cost controlled class by limiting cost of servos (Futaba 3003/3004 for example), only allowing the Novak XRS speed control with Orion 2400 lipos, and using Tamiya silver can motors. By keeping this a simple class, the guys are having fun without spending money

The only problem they've run into has been the kit tires really don't work on low traction ozite. A few racers have let them borrow VTA tires, which actually work well and don't look bad on the car. A few racers have also tried the Tamiya F201 "A" compound tires with stock inserts, which also work well. A newer racing is going to try the softer F10 tires once he gets his car built.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #453
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another F10 about to hit the track. I am hoping get her ready to practice run this Wed. SHould be fun!!

Options: ball diff, alum shock, 'S' compound tires...
Attached Thumbnails
HPI's new F1-f10.jpg  
Old 02-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #454
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Micro-E let us know how it works! Looks good except that right rear tire doesn't look like it's seated right.

In the meantime, everyone of you F1 rc fans out there and particularly you Formula Ten owners, get those emails sent to HPI requesting that those F1 cars from the Nurnberg show be sold here in the States!!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #455
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

no US license agreement worked out yet. Very expensive for the states.
We may have to buy those bodysets from the overseas stockists.
I am sure Ddrive will have em
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #456
Tech Regular

I could not wait till Wed, Got it done to tonight. I am really impressed with how stable it is and how it grips the asphalt with those 'S' tires. Look out F104's!!! (uhhhh, the ones that run rubber tires only ) I'll paint the driver helmet later...

Attached Thumbnails
HPI's new F1-f10-front.jpg   HPI's new F1-f10-side.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #457
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Glad you understand lotus. I actually still own my HPI super F1. As far as racing on carpet goes...my 3 racing F109 is the ticket for me...cheaper than the HPI...more adjustable than the F104 and it rips on any type of carpet( we race on low pile indoor/outdoor carpet). I've felt since I assembled my car that it was meant for asphalt and am still hopeful it'll perform once our outdoor season starts.
I just wish HPI was supporting their products better, there's a reason Associated stays on top year after year, well designed cars and terrific parts support. I've let my opinion be known to HPI before, concerning bringing back the electric "super" touring car, as well as, in my opinion, mistake in producing the F10 with "specific" wheel hexes and the silly traxxas style fornt spindles. I always get a cordial response, but have never seen it make a difference. Hopefully this time I'm wrong. They used to support their products better, the pro3 & pro 4 touring cars originally came with some problems, but all it took was a phone call and updated replacement parts were in the mail immediately. My cup racer kit came missing a few pieces, and it took about a month to get the needed parts from them, and I had to pay shipping to get them.
that said, if they rereleased the electric super tomorrow, I'd have to order one.
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #458
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

fat500, where did you hear this?; what is your source of info? I hope what you heard is wrong, but it probably isn't. Why is it so expensive for the USA?
Is someone trying to stick it to us because they think we are the "rich" Americans? How can Europe and Japan afford them and we can't? doesn't make any sense to me!! At any rate I will continue my campaign of emailing HPI to try to get those cars and bodies here anyway; I'm not giving up!!!

rcracer1958, yeah HPI has slipped in the last few years with customer service. Usually this is a result of too much pressure from corporate to maximize profits (greed) which always without fail results in less customer service and most of the time lower quality products. Some of the choices they made regarding the Formula Ten, such as the wheel hexes were stupid to say the least. I still say they need to come out with a pro racer version like Tamiya did with the F104.
Your point about Associated is correct. My problem with Associated is(and I've had several of their cars over the years) that they play it too safe regarding which products they produce. They pretty much just keep doing the same old thing year after year and tend to follow the trends rather than create them. Example: Tamiya and HPI basically led the way with touring cars and Associated jumped on board when they realized they were a hit back in the late 90's. Associated never has and probably never will bother to do an F1 car, or anything like the Cup Racer which is a great concept regardless of HPI's problems. I like Associated and they have THE best product support, but they just play it too safe, afraid to "think outside the box", boring.

Overall that has been the trend in rc cars in the last few years, more and more manufacturers are going for the money and not really trying to do something different. Now before I get flamed with the comment that they are a business after all and they are in it to profit; I know and understand; it's just a shame that as a result we the buying public are being given less choices in the type of rc car we want, unless of course you are into off-road as they are the darlings of the manufacturers and rc magazine now. In fact in the most recent RC Car magazine they claimed that on-road rc will die a painful death, that it's on it's way out! How disturbing is that for a major rc magazine to make that claim which will influence some people to stay away from on road rc altogether!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #459
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

fat500, here did you get your info regarding the licensing rights?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #460
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
Yes #61699 is the correct number for FRONT SPRING (HARD/0.55mm/5Coils).
You can buy it directly from us online if you can not find them at you LHS.

Thank you.
I am setting up a F10 car and can't find this part anywhere, even the HPI website. Actually many of the spare parts are hard to find right now. The only place I've found that has any is RCMart.com Tower Hobbies has a few upgrade parts but no replacement parts that I can see.

I am considering the Yeah Racing upgrade kit for this car. Does anybody have any experience with their products? Their one piece alum rear axle/motor carrier looks interesting and it's hard to beat the price of the kit considering what it includes.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #461
Tech Regular

I would like to know where to get those springs (#61699) as well. I looked and could not find them.

Maybe Mr. High-LowBlow will let us know!?!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #462
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I am setting up a F10 car and can't find this part anywhere, even the HPI website. Actually many of the spare parts are hard to find right now. The only place I've found that has any is RCMart.com Tower Hobbies has a few upgrade parts but no replacement parts that I can see.

I am considering the Yeah Racing upgrade kit for this car. Does anybody have any experience with their products? Their one piece alum rear axle/motor carrier looks interesting and it's hard to beat the price of the kit considering what it includes.
Hy !

I have purchased the one pice motor mount from yeah racing, and i highly recomend this hopup. It is a perfect fit, and the orange anoizing matches perfect with the hpi original orange.

the motor temperatur also droops significant.

My advice is: Get it !
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #463
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Do the "Foam Spec" aluminum steering knuckles and rear diff allow the F10 to run Tamiya wheels and tires?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #464
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Do the "Foam Spec" aluminum steering knuckles and rear diff allow the F10 to run Tamiya wheels and tires?
But i dont know if the parts are available, but i´they should be soon.

Greetz Rainer
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #465
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Yes I think so. I was comparing the Tamiya rims with the HPI ones and it looks like they should fit just fine. The HPI rubber rims/tires and Tamiya F201 rims/rims also look very interchangeable.

The parts are available from HPI's website but not cheaply.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote