R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #406
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been beating up my F10 recently. It is powered by an Orion 3200 LiPo, Novak 21.5 SS, and an LRP Sphere. It is bone stock except I run foam tires on it on a carpet track. I do have to say, except for the few handling quirks it has, it can get around the track quickly. I can't remember which spur I have on it, but I'm running a 25t pinion to take away some of the motor's torque. I am running Jaco Double Pink's on the rear and BSR Purple/Orange on the front. It's a blast to drive!

Still figuring out a decent setup for it though...... I REALLY need to get an aluminum shock on there, along with the ball diff.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #407
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo View Post
Hi formula ten drivers!

In finland we are about to race for the first time with f10s.
Sadly we've got only 4 cars at our club, but hoping that they'll get more common during summer. We are racing in west side's stock king annual race event in our own class - f10, in a large school hall on carpet.

Motor limit is 15.5t bonded brushless with foam tires. The f10 thing was an idea of an active local hobbyist, who wanted to create a fun, inexpansive and fast entry-stage class. (kind of faster mini-cooper, which has been enormously popular here in finland fo a long time)

Personally I enjoy driving f10, because of huge grip on foams and nice driveability. Could invest in ball differential tough...

Hy !

Wich type of foams are you talking about? Nitro sedan foam tires?
If yes, wich shores are you guys running ?

Greetz Blueman
Old 01-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #408
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy !

Wich type of foams are you talking about? Nitro sedan foam tires?
If yes, wich shores are you guys running ?

Greetz Blueman
We are running with nitro on road foams yes. 40 front/ 37 rear setup with no traction additive... Personally I've got some issues with the endurance of the rear tires due to my rough driving style. Because the sidewalls of the rear tyres are pretty much ruined after todays training session, I cant be racing with them tomorrow... In the end of the todays training the lap times fell from 14sec to 15+seconds.

Laptimes were about 1 second slower than the times of the 10.5t touring cars (rubber in europe!). Cornering grip is the advantage of formulas, but on straight line, the tourings were unbeatable.

f10 rules: 15.5t motors, foams (rear wider than the front), 87t orig. spur with 15t pinion. The rules dont say anything about maximum width, so we've been widening our cars slightly to eliminate roll-overs in corners (I've got 1mm in every corner, some of the guys put 3mm in the front and 1 in the back).

It will be intresting to see what the race will be like...
Artoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #409
Tech Regular

Quote:
We are running with nitro on road foams yes. 40 front/ 37 rear setup with no traction additive... Personally I've got some issues with the endurance of the rear tires due to my rough driving style. Because the sidewalls of the rear tyres are pretty much ruined after todays training session, I cant be racing with them tomorrow... In the end of the todays training the lap times fell from 14sec to 15+seconds.

Laptimes were about 1 second slower than the times of the 10.5t touring cars (rubber in europe!). Cornering grip is the advantage of formulas, but on straight line, the tourings were unbeatable.

f10 rules: 15.5t motors, foams (rear wider than the front), 87t orig. spur with 15t pinion. The rules dont say anything about maximum width, so we've been widening our cars slightly to eliminate roll-overs in corners (I've got 1mm in every corner, some of the guys put 3mm in the front and 1 in the back).

It will be intresting to see what the race will be like...
Very nice to hear that it works! I have everything together, but havent tested yet. I drove the car till today onla with 4cells and the Bridgestone Rubbers with a 17,5 LRP X11 Motor on carpet.

No i wanted to teat the foams, so i get a pair 40 F+R, and a set of 37 F and 35 R. Mx fear is that the car rolls over because the long and narrow wheelbase.

Do you guys run the kit gear diff? does it also work well? with 4cell and the brudgestone rubbers i am very satified. but now with the foams and the Lipo Power ?!?!?.......

Greetz Blueman
Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #410
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I got my F10 kit! I built it and it looks pretty good. Both of the lipo batteries I have didn't fit. So now i have to get a battery and a motor.

My Mamba Max ESC did fit, but it was a tight squeeze.
fishymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #411
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Very nice to hear that it works! I have everything together, but havent tested yet. I drove the car till today onla with 4cells and the Bridgestone Rubbers with a 17,5 LRP X11 Motor on carpet.

No i wanted to teat the foams, so i get a pair 40 F+R, and a set of 37 F and 35 R. Mx fear is that the car rolls over because the long and narrow wheelbase.

Do you guys run the kit gear diff? does it also work well? with 4cell and the brudgestone rubbers i am very satified. but now with the foams and the Lipo Power ?!?!?.......

Greetz Blueman
We raced today and I used new 40 shore rear tyres and the center of gravity was so high that i had big issues with the car rolling over all the time. The grip of the track was also incredible and also tourings had issues with rolling in the tight corners...

I finally added 3mm more width to front corners and stiffend the chassis fully. We also added stiff diff grease to the rear friction plates and added a 0.5mm washer between the upper friction plate spring and the plate. That really seemed to help atleast a bit and I could drive the corners a bit better.
I've probably forgot to mention that we all use a tamiya trf shock on the rear.

We are using the original gear diffs (for now), cause we want to ceep the class simple with low maintance recuirements. In the future we still probably have to get gear diffs...

One of the guys would have made it to the a final of the stock touring with his times!
Artoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #412
Tech Fanatic

Were the foams trued down a bunch?? What diameter were you running?? I haven't bought a HPI yet....but I'm going to run the same touring foams on my F103rm....with F103gt parts of course!! Blueman's car looked pretty good with the foams attached!!!!

R

What was the ride height by the way??

Thanks

Quote:
We raced today and I used new 40 shore rear tyres and the center of gravity was so high that i had big issues with the car rolling over all the time. The grip of the track was also incredible and also tourings had issues with rolling in the tight corners...

I finally added 3mm more width to front corners and stiffend the chassis fully. We also added stiff diff grease to the rear friction plates and added a 0.5mm washer between the upper friction plate spring and the plate. That really seemed to help atleast a bit and I could drive the corners a bit better.

We are using the original gear diffs (for now), cause we want to ceep the class simple with low maintance recuirements. In the future we still probably have to get gear diffs...

One of the guys would have made it to the a final of the stock touring with his times!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #413
Tech Regular

Quote:

Hm maybe another harder set of tires like 45 or so will als be the best choice when the grip gets to much. Hope i can test mine this week. I ll keep you updated...

I think i will also get an aditional ball diff set for my car. Have anyone of you already installed one? If yes, any benefits in handling and laptimes?

How do you guys adjust your T-Bar screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh View Post
Were the foams trued down a bunch?? What diameter were you running?? I haven't bought a HPI yet....but I'm going to run the same touring foams on my F103rm....with F103gt parts of course!! Blueman's car looked pretty good with the foams attached!!!!

R

What was the ride height by the way??

Thanks

The ride height with new Out of the box tires (like on the pics 2 pages bevore,) were with everyspacer front and rear set to the highest level, about 6-7mm rear under the T-bar, and the same in fornt under the speedo/receiver area.

Under the front wing i have only 4mm in the middle. This part is the first thing wich touches the ground.

BTW a few guys already runned their F103GT his summer on our asphalt outdoor track, and the cars where a blast .....

Greetz Blueman
Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #414
Tech Fanatic

Right now the only problem is the F1 class is not happening here....more guys are talking about starting this class again....but the debate seems to be around rubber/foam tires!! The only time (except at practice) we can run F1's are at our regional series events...at these events we have to run rubber tires/silver can Tamiya motors.....any battery. There are only 4 of these events per winter.

The new Yeah racing car comes with foams (a few guys have this car) and of course you can still get foams easily for the f103's/f104's sooo I hope the HPI will make a foam tire/wheel combo....or our class will allow the use of touring foams!!!

Cheers,
Roy
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #415
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh View Post
Right now the only problem is the F1 class is not happening here....more guys are talking about starting this class again....but the debate seems to be around rubber/foam tires!! The only time (except at practice) we can run F1's are at our regional series events...at these events we have to run rubber tires/silver can Tamiya motors.....any battery. There are only 4 of these events per winter.

The new Yeah racing car comes with foams (a few guys have this car) and of course you can still get foams easily for the f103's/f104's sooo I hope the HPI will make a foam tire/wheel combo....or our class will allow the use of touring foams!!!

Cheers,
Roy
HPI is comming out parts that you can use Tamiya and 3racing and all other F1 foam tires.

Look at the link:

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=102917

Think the parts will be available in the nex 1-2 month!

Greetz blueman
Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #416
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just got my ball diff shock and soft tires I will try them out wedsAY
turbomeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #417
Tech Regular

Hy there !

Yout found detailed pics of the new upcoming Renault Body ! It is listed in the HPI January New Products List.

Enjoy!

HPI's new F1-w_103253_01.jpg HPI's new F1-w_103254_01.jpg

HPI's new F1-w_103255_01.jpg HPI's new F1-w_103256_01.jpg

HPI's new F1-w_103257_01.jpg

It only allows 4cell configuration !
Here the number: 103253 (complete Body set)

Greetz Blueman
Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #418
Tech Initiate

I cant Wait for that body which site is it posted on? and to run foam you need the hpi alum knuckels.
pyrodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #419
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

anyone found stiffer front springs for this thing , the front on mine has way too much grip i would like to stiffen it up
turbomeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #420
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomeyers View Post
anyone found stiffer front springs for this thing , the front on mine has way too much grip i would like to stiffen it up
Any 1/12th scale front spring works. The stock springs for the HPI is like 0.0165 so you get can Associated .018, .020,or .022 which is probaly more widely available. CRC and HPI 12x spring also work. Just do the imperial to metric conversion.