R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Anderson View Post
TF-2R, (I have three of them). There is no way to tighten the front belt, but there is a place in the rear to put a bolt through with bearings on it. (helps) You have the optional 2sp... so you have no reverse or... BRAKES... stupid design!! Looks like you might have a front one-way lay shaft (is the cog metal?)... never seen that with the 2sp.

Also your chassis is broken in the front. It should extend beyond the front bulkhead, and have three screw holes for the bumper.

Ok thanks for the info. I think i see a couple of those bearings already there to add tension. I'm not sure what 2sp is or why i wouldnt have reverse or brakes?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

2sp = 2 speed transmission. You don't see them on electric cars too often. Why you don't have brakes?? It has to do with the design of the 2sp. 2nd gear sits on a bearing and freewheels till the finger clutch engages it... even it the finger was out, its facing the wrong way and will slip. 1st gear sits on a one-way bearing, if you locked it up (jamed on the brakes), the jack shaft spins inside the one-way... and the car keeps going lol. seen it on this car.

There was a club near me that only ran this car. A handful of the guys bought the 2sp... they didn't make it through the first night.
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Tech Master

Been a while since I looked at this car but, take a look at the area I marked out. You can add a grub screw there, and I think 3- 3x6 bearings. There is provisons for this on the back belt too.... that one adds tension.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Me Identify This Car!-tf2r-bearing.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Ok that makes sense. Would it be best to switch to single speed? Or is it even possible without spending alot? Ill try to add those bearings and see how that works, along with tightening the diffs ( the seem to be loose ) . I just need to get this thing to run so my brother and i can jam it down the street.Thanks again for your time to answer my dumb questions
Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klen420 View Post
My brother got this car and we have no idea what it is. Also, when ever I accelerate, the 2 spur gears move fine, but the 4x4 belt drive slips and hesitates. The belt and the gears seem to be fine, but i dont know where to begin as i have never owned an on road or a 4WD car Any help is appreciated.

I tried to find this car through the web and search engines but there are so many onroad cars and I have no idea even how old this thing is! I'm sure there are obvious things i missed so please mention something that may be of help in identifying this car and problem!

Thanks in advance! Klen
Put a nitro motor in and it will be a x ray nt-1
kyosho player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klen420 View Post
Ok that makes sense. Would it be best to switch to single speed? Or is it even possible without spending alot? Ill try to add those bearings and see how that works, along with tightening the diffs ( the seem to be loose ) . I just need to get this thing to run so my brother and i can jam it down the street.Thanks again for your time to answer my dumb questions
The 2R came stock with a spool in the front, and a ball diff in the rear (I can see yours has this). Not much you can do with the ball diff (junk metal). You can rebuild it... but after it moves 3 feet, it needs to be rebuilt again! If you have a diff in the front, someone took the spool out and put gears in the case. I did this to mine, and installed the same thing in the rear.

Two things you need to make it a 1sp. The jack shaft, and part SP12. SP12 is a plastic tree that has the spur gear holder and two cogs for the belts. Good luck finding them... I've been looking for them for years!!

I'd just run it the way it is. Some parts can be found as they were used on many models. But belts and the SP12 are like hens teeth.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use a belt tensioner off a rs4--mounted on the right rear top plate screw-works fine.believe it or not this car handles nicely.I run stock class(17.5)and havn't really put any real power in it yet.
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

surely kyosho TF-2 type-R i had 2 of those back then
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have one too--mine is single speed, what year were these made?I have tried to find data on the car-r/c documents has nada-I plan on racing it, as it corners on rails with a lipo==but would like to get some spares-not too bad for a flea mkt $5 car.
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Tech Master

Some where between 95 - 97. The car that followed it was the TF3, then TF3R, then TF3R99 (came out 98 - 99)

Most of the plastic (bulkheads) is the same for the TF2, TF2SE, TF2R, TF3, TF3R, TF3R99. Then parts labled "LA" (Laser), "OT" (optima), were used on many many cars... you should be able to find them. Belts and cogs are the hardest things to find. Like to see Kyosho run off a batch of SP-12.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 355 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck View Post
Kyosho TF-2 of some vintage. Definately NOT an RS4.
Plus one , had three of these at one point Kyosho baby!!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

Wow $40, why can't I get this lucky!
Ghos7 is offline   Reply With Quote