R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 1-12th - Comparrisons

Does anyone out there own multiple brands of 1/12th cars?

I have two OLD 12Ls, an OLD Corally, a new Corally and a Carpet Knife. The old cars are 10 years old.

I'm interested in other's feedback on how one brand drives compared to another. Back in 91 when I used to race 1/12th (just got back into it this past week) I remember my Corally being VERY much easier to setup/dial in and having lower maintenance than the 12L.

I raced my Carpet Knife this past weekend and did fairly well but I found the car quite fragile (yeah I know, don't hit things). I'm going to set up the new Corally this week and try both the CK and the Corally this coming weekend. I'll report my findings (the Corally is definitely WAY easier to work on - what a great design!).

If you've raced multiple brands.. share your thoughts on the +'ves and -'ves of each?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

I'm interested, as well, and it sounds like I'm a few weeks behind your re-rentry into 12ths scale racing. I raced a Corrally and a 12L about 10-13 years ago, as well, and strangely enough felt exactly the opposite from you. My Corrally was one of the most unpredictable, ill-handling car I have ever owned or driven. Compared to the 12L, it was a monster. I couldn't get the car to track straight, come off of any corner comfortably, or even fell the same from one race to the next. My 12Ls were almost "set it and forget it" kind of cars.

I hated the Corally, and couldn't sell it fast enough. I went from struggling to make C mains with the Corally to back in the upper half of the A main once I got a 12L.

I just bought a Carpet Knife, too, and hope to race it in the next few weeks, and I am looking forward to getting back into the game. Everything I have heard about these cars seems to point to them being 1 of the 2 cars to beat, and pretty much straightforward to set up and maintain. I haven't heard about any frailties with the car, either.

I'm interested in hearing some different viewpoints on the cars out there (and not, "this one rocks, the others suck").

-doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to scnsaracer

Yeah I too have a brand new bck. This weekend was its first time out. I was impressed with how it handled out of the box. I just followed the setup sheet that came in the kit and ran untrued kit tires. 13x3 mod motor with 98/24 gearing. I too had some tech. difficulty with screws falling out. But I went thru the car and put extra loctite on all the metal/metal screws. Luckily I didnt break anything though. The screws for the center ball pivot and the side links were the problems for me. This is my first 1/12 and I love it. After I get it more dialed-in Im gonna stap in more hp lol.
scnsaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I talked to John at CRC today.. the hex balls that I kept breaking were from a known bad batch that were drilled to deeply. They are sending me replacements.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to scnsaracer

Hmmm...our cars are about the same age, I wonder if mine are from the same batch too
scnsaracer is offline   Reply With Quote