R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Anyone had any experience of the Team Wave RB-50?

Looks pretty small, and the specs seem to stake up well against the TC Spec etc... also programable by a handheld too.

Just haven't heard of any feedback on it yet...

Cheers
Ed

I tink tom jefferies has one and has been doing well with it in pre-season practice
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
Dont go near the Tekin if you plan on running Mod of any description.

3.5 and maybe 4.5 we need a fan but otherwise that is a bogus perception. We have lots of drivers using the RSpro in modified 4wd offroad, modified 1/12 and modified TC with great success. Even the RS will handle a 5.5 or 6.5 in light applications like 2wd offroad.

The RSpro has 48 hi power mosfets. Most controllers only have 18 fets and a few have 24. SO for raw powerhandling the RSpro is unmatched. It just does not have a heatsink and fan to remove the heat. The RS units are purpose built to be small and that was the trade off against extreme modified setups. So mod of any description is a pretty broad statement. Mod for many is a 6.5 to 9.5 and we handle those with ease

We expect to see many people use our new RX8 1/8 scale speedo in TC mod. A little bigger, but absolutely no worries on any mod setup for thermal shutdowns and all the same features as the RS.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
And before all of the keyboard commandos start flaming me, he's a friend of mine. Matter of fact, I bought him the hat that he's wearing in his avatar.
Thanks for the feedback I purchased the RS pro and hotwire today
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
3.5 and maybe 4.5 we need a fan but otherwise that is a bogus perception. We have lots of drivers using the RSpro in modified 4wd offroad, modified 1/12 and modified TC with great success. Even the RS will handle a 5.5 or 6.5 in light applications like 2wd offroad.

The RSpro has 48 hi power mosfets. Most controllers only have 18 fets and a few have 24. SO for raw powerhandling the RSpro is unmatched. It just does not have a heatsink and fan to remove the heat. The RS units are purpose built to be small and that was the trade off against extreme modified setups. So mod of any description is a pretty broad statement. Mod for many is a 6.5 to 9.5 and we handle those with ease

We expect to see many people use our new RX8 1/8 scale speedo in TC mod. A little bigger, but absolutely no worries on any mod setup for thermal shutdowns and all the same features as the RS.

Tekin Prez

I have to admit i have not used the RSPro recently on the new software in Mod, but the older versions of software running TC Mod, Lipo, 6 cell and 5 cell, with 3.5, 4.0 or 4.5 motors It had very little grunt, and would overheat within 3-4 minutes going into thermal shutdown.

The current software i have only run it with 10.5 / lipo and even in that configuration, half the lights are on at the end of the run. Where other speedies barely get above standing temp. Also in 10.5 the speedie feels doughy towards the end of the run, even with the motor remaining within normal operating temps.

I would not base mod TC assumptions on your good performances in offroad, 12th or spec racing, its a totally different ballgame.

I had actually been thinking about the 8th scale speedies, (coming from a number of providers) but i was not sure if they worked properly on 2S only, i thought most were 3S or dual 2S configurations
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
Team Tekin

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

The RS Pro is often used in TC mod. I was just at the Reedy warm up race and there were quite a few guys running 3.5, 4.0, and 4.5T on the Pro. We do recomend a second cap and a small fan blowing on the posts.

Speedworld is one of the hottest outdoor tracks around with the track temps often getting 170+ on hot days.

3-4 led's is still a long ways off from thermal so just seeing "half" lights is no reason for concern.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Randy: how about with 5 cell? I was running at speedworld last sat as well......
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
3-4 led's is still a long ways off from thermal so just seeing "half" lights is no reason for concern.
Please give some hints that would make it feel like the motor is overheating towards the end of the run, when the motor temp is below 150f?

The times i temped the speedie posts, they were within 10f of the motor, that seems like its getting too hot IMO
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #23
Team Tekin

With the 10.5 we are not holding anything back unless you are bumping into the voltage cutoff. A strapped up 10.5 can pull a lipo lower than you might expect late in the run. Turn off the VC when it starts to feel soft and see if rip comes back. Otherwise with the motor at only 150 I think you just have not got there and are seeing the battery get into the last half of the capacity.

140 to 150F is nothing for the electronics. 120-130F is typical with the slowest motors. It goes up slowly from there and we are not concerned until 7 leds which you should not get to on a 10.5 ever. Push that motor to 170F to 180F at the end of the run. Tell us what brand motor, where the timing is set, and how big the track is and we can give you a target.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
Team Tekin

Quote:
I would not base mod TC assumptions on your good performances in offroad, 12th or spec racing, its a totally different ballgame.

I had actually been thinking about the 8th scale speedies, (coming from a number of providers) but i was not sure if they worked properly on 2S only, i thought most were 3S or dual 2S configurations
Glad the purchase decision is already made. I am still interested in the public discussion and enjoy the opportunity to dispel perceptions and explain who we are and how we approach things.

As we understood timing and gearing the results got better. One of our top drivers ran a 4.5 on the 140F pavement in CA and had full rip with no thermal issues. He was using a well placed fan. In fact he and another driver with Blue pushed the gearing until they found thermal shutdowns and the cars shutdown within 10 sec of each other. When pushing things this hard it is all about setup and finding the sweet spot. Off a little can have a large effect and create heat fast.

Depending on which software version you had things have improved. Originally we were all trying to use too low of timing and too much gear. It has ended up being all about timing and less gear. Even the low turn modifieds are working with more timing than expected…. As long as you gear back enough to compensate. Lack of rip really says timing to low also. Thermal says gearing too high trying to go faster and make up for timing.

We purposely made sure the Rx8 is just as good on 2S, 6cell or 5cell as it is on 3s to 6s for 1/8 scale setups. It is a Rspro with a heatsink, fan and switching BEC circuit for the higher voltages. We expect some mod TC use for no worries until the motor melts.

We think we have a nice range of products that are each for a specific application:

RS for spec and mild mod. Nice price and national championship performance. No compromises and needs nothing in a tiny package with tons of features. Perfect for a huge slice of the market.

RSPro for all 1/12 and offroad mod and most TC mod setups ( all with a fan and good setup) Short on heat removal in trade for size and fit in onroad cars. The most expensive speedo we make due to its massive pile of 48 fets and 3 separate circuit boards. The lowest on resistance and highest pure power rated speedo in a super small size. A very special beast that is extremely expensive to manufacture.

Rx8 for 1/8 scale and extreme modified setups for any car and boats soon. A little bigger, a little easier and cheaper to build and mind blowing constant current it can handle without heat problems. An effective heatsink and fan version for longer runs and heavier constant loads.

We do things on purpose and anywhere we are short we fix it. That is called engineering instead of importing and marketing. Can you tell I am a little cocky and fired up right now? Things are going really well at Tekin…. I am a lot more fun to be around nowdays.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 04-16-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Thanks for the feedback I purchased the RS pro and hotwire today
Glad I could help. I'm happy with all 5 of my tekins
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was in the same boat as stiltskin and just divided between the tekin and lrp spx. I leaned toward the tekin until i heard the same problem from a fellow racer who also experienced a softer feel near the end of a race. Not sure about his exact setup but he probably was running a 10.5 or 13.5 TC asphalt rubber on a large size track.

So this can be fixed by lowering the voltage cutoff and gearing higher (bigger pinion)?

Undecided
Ryan
rai913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #27
Tech Champion

I will look at the voltage cutoff, but im only using 2200 out of a 5000 pack, so should be no where near the voltage cutoff.

The motor i used it with was a Venom 10.5 (same motor are the Feigao mod design) per this thread, zero on motor, 30 on boost. I had to gear way down like 5 teeth off an LRP TC spec speedie, I think i got down to 21/84 on the 009 which is 6.8/1 or 29.11 rollout

IP5000 pack
Track is reasonably small and technical, 11 second laps. Indoor, Ashpalt painted surface, rubber tires.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Strange how this started as "RS pro-vs-SP Gt 2.0-vs-LRP stock spec" and turned into a technical discussion about the Tekin range of products! Where is Speed Passion when you need them? It's no surprise not to hear a peep out of LRP! If only they would help us learn more about their products like Tekin do.

I have to say if I bought a RS Pro to run mod TC only to find out I had to run a make shift fan setup I'd be a little upset. Having said that could you not stick a heatsink directly on the fets of a RS (not pro) as it has only one board?

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
Anyone had any experience of the Team Wave RB-50?

Looks pretty small, and the specs seem to stake up well against the TC Spec etc... also programable by a handheld too.

Just haven't heard of any feedback on it yet...

Cheers
Ed

I tink tom jefferies has one and has been doing well with it in pre-season practice
Yep! It went pop when I was in setup mode trying to change some settings after only a few runs. Looks like I won't get it replaced either. Thats why I will only buy products from reputable companies like Tekin now.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #30
Team Tekin

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Track is reasonably small and technical, 11 second laps. Indoor, Ashpalt painted surface, rubber tires.
This sounds like you're overtimed. If you had to drop 5 teeth from the LRP setup there is a significant difference in motor rpm. The only way to cause that is with timing. Overtimed setups tend to rip up front and then go soft after a few minutes. A small tight track would benefit from a mix of motor timing and boost timing. If you like the LRP setup you need to get your RS where it needs the same gearing. So you either have to bring down your timing or keep gearing down to match your previous setup.

What P setting are you using on the LRP?

Speedos DO NOT go soft. Near thermal shutdown performance is not as good, but in general we are a switch between the motor and the battery. The switch is flipped on or it is not and if we flip it wrong the smoke comes out quickly. The only time we do slow down is on purpose if we see low voltage. Otherwise when you ask for full throttle we give it regardless of anything. You might as well solder the battery to the motor tabs… and then change positions real fast to keep up with the rotor.

We recommend the 30 total on 13.5 and 17.5 motors. We recommend less with the 10.5 but are seeing some people push those levels with success.

Monitor your temps every minute after 2 minutes of running and see if your motor is jumping like 40 degrees in a real hurry. If it is bring down your boost a bit or lower your gearing more. My recomendation for you would be a 5 on the motor and 20 on the boost.

There is no doubt the RS capable of matching any speedo performance given the races won recently. The sweet spot is narrow when pushing to the limits and the timing/gearing is critical to get it all..

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com

Last edited by Randy_Pike; 04-17-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote