R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Battery Solder Cleanup (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/29002-battery-solder-cleanup.html)

jcrouse 12-08-2003 10:38 AM

Battery Solder Cleanup
 
I am rebuilding some old battery packs. What is the best way to remove ALL of the solder from the ends of the cells so I can start from scratch. The original builder was pretty sloppy.

Thanks,
John

trf racer 12-08-2003 10:45 AM

Re: Battery Solder Cleanup
 

Originally posted by jcrouse
I am rebuilding some old battery packs. What is the best way to remove ALL of the solder from the ends of the cells so I can start from scratch. The original builder was pretty sloppy.

Thanks,
John


get some solder braiding.
it ll pull all the solder off

Rob Mincey 12-08-2003 10:54 AM

Just be careful not to leave the iron on the cells for too long. Heat = bad.

Rob

Speedie 12-08-2003 11:03 AM

You can either heat it up quickly and wipe it off before it cools with a damp cloth or grind it off being careful not to go through the case. I use my dremel so I dont have to heat up the battery if I dont have to.

Calvin Ng 12-08-2003 03:43 PM

you can use that solder wick stuff

its made out of copper i beleive

just stick it ontop of it and melt the solder it sucks it up pretty good

might have a lil bit though

MrEs 12-08-2003 04:51 PM

what calvin said, its called solder braid

wagonman72 12-08-2003 08:22 PM

Actually it's called solder wick too and sometimes you can get it at Radio Shack. We used to use it for battery bars!

Calvin Ng 12-08-2003 08:34 PM

ha...... ha..........

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

me right also:lol:

thatdog 12-08-2003 09:15 PM

You can go to these sites and get an idea of how to desolder using solder wick.

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/desolder.htm
http://www.fixyourowntv.com/howtosolder.html
http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/atoz.htm

trf racer 12-09-2003 12:49 AM


Originally posted by thatdog
You can go to these sites and get an idea of how to desolder using solder wick.

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/desolder.htm
http://www.fixyourowntv.com/howtosolder.html
http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/atoz.htm


its actually de soldering braid.
thats the proper name for it.

MrEs 12-09-2003 01:58 AM

thank you... :P

trf man 12-09-2003 02:07 AM


Originally posted by MrEs
thank you... :P

lol.
its ok.:D

dtm 12-09-2003 04:14 AM

Solder braid....too much like hard work. I simply melt the solder with one hand holding the cell and then "flick" the cell towards to the floor....the solder flicks off nicely!:D

popsracer 12-09-2003 08:54 AM

Battery Solder Cleanup
 
Guys;

Buy a quality Solder "sucker" from a local Electronics store. Fast, easy, does a decent job of removing excess solder quickly AND you can use it more than once. A quality tool that will last you a lifetime.

Randy Caster 12-09-2003 09:39 AM

Re: Battery Solder Cleanup
 

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Buy a quality Solder "sucker" from a local Electronics store. Fast, easy, does a decent job of removing excess solder quickly AND you can use it more than once. A quality tool that will last you a lifetime.

I gotta agree, these work to get the brunt of the solder off, then you can use the braided copper to get the rest.


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:27 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.8
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.