R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #11611
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need lcd drives and acer bearings ! I have my 13.5t at 3.75fdr and no extreme heat....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #11612
Suspended

By the way, I leave the factory timing in my Novak ballistic motor , and gear two to three teeth higher than average ....
Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #11613
Suspended

Smile

Tc3/tc4 cars have the infield advantage, but loose speed down the straight compared to belt cars, and need a little higher gearing to somewhat compensate...If belt cars can't blow by you down the straight, then you should be able to loose them in the infield !
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #11614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
You need lcd drives and acer bearings ! I have my 13.5t at 3.75fdr and no extreme heat....
I acctually run Acer bearings and have MIP CVD's front and rear. Spool up front diff in the rear. I am the fastest car on the straight. Different tracks require different gearing, ours is a fairly tight technical infield with not a whole lot of straight, if I ran a 3.75fdr I would never get to top speed before I'd be brakeing for the sweeper

Of course reading that closer the timing plays into an issue as well, if I knocked the timing down yeah it would bring down temps and I could gear it harder but the car works better the way I have the timing set right now. As soon as I pop a fan on it the temps should drop 20-30 degrees and put me in the norm
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #11615
Tech Fanatic

We found that with a 30x30 fan we drop the temp of motor by 10 deg celsius in hot condition.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #11616
Suspended

If you also switch to lcd drives , the temps will go even lower , you will turn better, and you'll never need to change your spool because of wear ! Lcd's ROCK !!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #11617
Tech Master

This is my TC3 that has a HPI Honda Prelude body mounted on it. I run it in "Sportsman TC" class in Indy. We use simple ESC's and a Tamiya Silver Can motor. About $16. Great class!

It is painted with Parma Faskolor metallic orange and neon orange. Faux carbon fiber look on the hood. The colors look great on the track.

Putting in a Futaba 9452 steering servo has really done a lot for the way this chassis handles. Prior to that, I had a MG Futaba in there (can't remember the number) and it was too slow.
Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-hondapreludehpiscottblack2.jpg   TC3 Forum-hondapreludehpiscottblack1.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #11618
Tech Fanatic

It looks nice.

Do you have upgraded parts fitted too or is it box standard?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #11619
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Looks awesome. How did you manage to get the silver can motor to fit the stock TC3 motor cam holder? The silver can motors have a protrusion that holds the bushings that do not fit this part. Did you machine the holder? Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
This is my TC3 that has a HPI Honda Prelude body mounted on it. I run it in "Sportsman TC" class in Indy. We use simple ESC's and a Tamiya Silver Can motor. About $16. Great class!

It is painted with Parma Faskolor metallic orange and neon orange. Faux carbon fiber look on the hood. The colors look great on the track.

Putting in a Futaba 9452 steering servo has really done a lot for the way this chassis handles. Prior to that, I had a MG Futaba in there (can't remember the number) and it was too slow.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #11620
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Looks awesome. How did you manage to get the silver can motor to fit the stock TC3 motor cam holder? The silver can motors have a protrusion that holds the bushings that do not fit this part. Did you machine the holder? Any pics?
Thanks, yes, I did have to machine the cam holder. I used a drill press and enlarged the receiving hole with the appropriate size drill bit and some oil. It was not that hard to do, but necessary. I used the vise grips to hold it. Not the "proper" way to do it, but that's all I had that would hold it. I made sure it was flat when it was drilled. The metal is soft, so drilling was not a problem.

Our track (www.RCARIndy.com) has that class and its pretty popular so I wanted to make it work.

As for the question above yours, yes, its pretty much Box Stock. I think I have s/s fasteners, but that's all. I've added the rear bumper thingy and an RPM front bumper/foam. The RPM bumpers are still out there on ebay. Perfect and needed for the TC3 in my opinion.

Here's a rear view of the body. Its a 200mm. So, the wheels are tucked under a bit unless I want to run offsets. Doesn't look bad through.

Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-tc3motormountmodforsilvercan1.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc3motormountmodforsilvercan2.jpg   TC3 Forum-rpmbumpertc3.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #11621
Tech Adept

Talking

+1 big time on that bumper
S411LE#63,eryx 2.0,kyosho ultima sc,B44.1,futaba.the short list. Ricky Bobby body club,member #4
atmeearacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #11622
Tech Fanatic

Here is my new bodyshell:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1220g without batteries, weather is crap here so no track yet since the rebuilt.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #11623
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just getting into the on-road electric stuff(have offroad nitro). Looking for a little help on picking out my motor/speed control for a TC3 roller I just picked up from a fellow rctech member.

Looking for simple, kinda quick, nothing outragiously fast for a indoor track, easy to use speed controller, good run time. My budget for motor and speed control is $150-ish

Not looking to Race, just head over the the local carpet track and burn through a few packs.

My bro just picked up a TC3 with a Duratrax DE10 ESC with programmer, and a RevTech R 17.5 motor. So I'm thinking something on the order of that. Me and just just plan to race each other. Dont really care about trying to race competitively.

We are probably gonna get a few Gens Ace 2S batteries. Most likely 4000-5000mah 40-50C

Been looking at:
Castle Creations Sidewinder Sv2 with Neu-Castle 1406-5700kv Motor $130
Novak Havoc Spec Brushless ESC/SS Pro Brushless Motor Combo (17.5T) $150
AE XP SC450-BL ESC w/Reedy 540R Brushless Motor Combo (4900kV) $110

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #11624
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Even though you are not looking to race right away, you may want to some time in the future. Of the combos you listed, the most appropriate to eventually race with would be the Novak. The sensored design makes it legal for most spec classes which are quite popular. If you go with one of the others, you may only be legal for mod classess, which are not that popular and are extremely fast, expensive and difficult to race. Also, if you are talking about one of the older Havocs (#1732, #1733 #1735) and not the newer PRO SC or 3S models, you would be legal for VTA racing which is a blast and a good way to eventually get started into racing. Finally, if you get a ballistic motor you can switch just the stators around later to save money on buying multiple motors that you can use for different classes. 17.5 is plenty fast and you don't really need a faster motor for the TC3 just to have fun and bash with it. You may also want to consider a Novak Edge ESC which will save you a lot of space on the installation, but the Havoc can be squeezed into the TC3 no problem.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #11625
Tech Fanatic

There is also the Hobbywing option with a HW 60A stock or even the Speed Passion cirtix, with a 17.5t or even 13.5t motor combo, this should be within your budget and are both really good spec speedos.

Just be careful that the sensor cable is facing the right way in your car, space is limited to fit everything on the one side, if you use normal size servo, a "biggish" receiver, it leaves little space for a standard size speedo against the motor enbell, hence the HW motor with its side plug can be a good option to fit nicely.