Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Old 12-04-2002, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by KilRuf
Thanks Mike D. Another question... I noticed alot of people with tires trued down to like 54-55mm.... I mainly noticed this with Mod cars. Seeing that you ran 59mm.... do you think 55mm it too extreme for Stock? I started with 58mm then went down to 55mm to see how it felt. Lap times did seem to improve, but I think I got lost in gearing. Anyhow, I'll have to mess around on carpet before the Birds... you attending? Thanks again..

Jimmy Mac
The main reason people trued down their tires for modified is to reduce traction. It helps to reduce traction rolls. Another thing that helps is to run a thin bead of CA on your outside sidewalls to keep the tire from rolling over. I think most of us in the stock main had tires between 57 and 59mm. I think 55mm is too small. I don't like how my sedan feels with tires under 57mm.

Mike
Old 12-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ? for Mike D.

Mike,

Would you post your Cleveland Stock TC set up for us.
There is always someone looking for a carpet w/foam set up.
The only bad part is most of the set ups are from guy's who run in modified.
The Cleveland set up has always been some what a mystery because of the amount of traction.
Thanks!
Tracy
Old 12-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow Dingus, you went to the extreme, milling all the way to the last rib! You will notice a difference in the cars handling for sure.
Deves
Old 12-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Your #2

Your #3

Your#4

Thats all the people that I can take for the K-modles stuff .. ....

I will let the following people know what the out come is around the 15~17th of December.

Thanks
-Dave
Thanks Dave!!!............ Deves
Old 12-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: ? for Mike D.

Originally posted by doorman
Mike,

Would you post your Cleveland Stock TC set up for us.
There is always someone looking for a carpet w/foam set up.
The only bad part is most of the set ups are from guy's who run in modified.
The Cleveland set up has always been some what a mystery because of the amount of traction.
Thanks!
Tracy
Front: .063 sway bar,60wt, #3, yellow springs, tc3 front shock tower, shock mount out on tower/in on arm, camber link up and short, 4 caster, 1.5 camber, tc3 steering blocks, no bump shims, F-0 block, 5mm ride height, 8mm ride height when tires leave ground(I don't know the settings on the droop gauge)

Rear: no sway bar, 40wt, #3, copper springs, tc3 rear tower, shock mount middle on tower/out on arm, camber link up and long, 1 degree losi hubs reversed-ball stud mounted in outer hole with .040 washer, short wheelbase, F block instead of R block, R-3-0 block (with F, R-3-0 and losi 1 degree hubs reversed total rear toe = 1 degree), 1.5 camber, 5.5mm ride height, 9mm ride height when tires leave ground (droop)

Protoform Stratus (old style-not 2.0), Batteries back, IRS aluminum diffs front and rear, IRS aluminum dogbones w/ pin cushions, Jaco purple/orange fronts @ 59mm, Jaco Purple rears @59mm, full compound rear/half front, SMC GP3300, 37/96 gear, blue endbell handout

As for tires.... I only ran each set of tires twice. After the each run, I would clean them with motor spray and let them sit a day or two before rerunning them. Rerunning gummy tires at a race like this is not an option.

Last edited by Mike D; 12-04-2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Whats uP?

Does anybody have the part numbers for the new shock towers and a arms?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Mike, did you run the same setup in mod?
Old 12-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Mike!

Thanks for sharing your set up and the tire information.
Your set up was in great detail.
The tire size is one of those little details that I had never picked up on.
I always thought my car worked better with the taller tire but did not know why.
Your the first person who ever stated the difference and why the car acts accordingly.

Tracy
Old 12-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Default Diff Mesh

I am in the process of building a new FT TC3, not my first. I have a problem with what seems to be the diff mesh. I think I have limited it down to be the front diff and it’s a one way. It only seems to make the noise on one part of the revolution on the ring gear. The car has not been run yet and no pinion is on it. And I am sure the input shafts are in the correct order with shims

Any advise would be great.

Coxy
Old 12-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Usually on mine there was always a rough spot.So I used some grinding compound and ran it with a 4cell pack.After the pack was dumped I would clean the gears and then work on getting a good mesh.Try that or assemble it alittle tight and run a battery pack thru and then reset the mesh.Once set correctly it will be free and quiet.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default CA glue on sidewalls

Hey Mike, Congrats on Cleveland. It's nice to see an East Coast guy doing so well. I was wondering. By putting CA on the sidewalls. Will that have any effect on the cornering bite of the tires. I think I read where the shore rating of the tire is not only measured in its softness but also flexabiliy of the foam. Will the CA glue have any effect on the amount of traction the tire will get. In other words will the effect of the harder sidewall bump say a TRC Tan up to the driving feel of a Purple. Sorry if I'm getting to technical. I like the idea and was just wondering.

Also, are ya going to make the Madness race this sunday?

Thanks Mike

Craig
Old 12-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

DaWolf - Technical is fine... You are right about the shore rating - it does measure softness and flexability of the foam. The shore rating doesn't tell the whole story though. The amout of traction that a tire generates is primarily dependent on two things - surface friction and slip angle.

Surface friction is dependent on the composition of the foam, i.e. how much rubber and other materials ar in the foam. The shore rating of the tire doesn't indicate how much surface friction the tire will have. This is why blues and purples can have the same shore rating but different amounts of traction. This is also why traction compound adds traction without changing the shore rating of the tire.

Slip angle can be simplified as how well the tire's contact patch conforms to the road surface. A tire with a softer shore rating can more easily flex/twist to match the motion of the car. This is good and bad. Good because the tire can flex and add traction and bad because the tire can flex and actually lose traction. Have you ever noticed that a real soft or gummed up(from compound) rear tire can make you lose traction? This is why.

The reason for putting CA on the side wall is to stiffen up the lateral movement of the tire and make it work the way it is supposed too. My local track doesn't really generate enough traction to require this - especially in stock. It helps to CA the side wall when you go to big races with alot of traction or when the tire will see higher lateral loads of modified racing. You don't want to use so much glue on the side wall that you end up running on it. Just use enough to stiffen up the side wall of the tire.

btw - Thanks for the congrats. I always seem to make the show at Cleveland but manage to never win... I won't be at the madness race - it should be alot of fun though.

Last edited by Mike D; 12-04-2002 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Mike D.

Hi,

do you run the same setup in stock??? we were there but my son was sick most all weekend long. he ran one quailifier on Satuday night (the only one I could get him up long enough to race) and that put him in the "C" main. we are running a slightly stiffer setup on both our sedans.

Front:

Springs: White
Oil: 70wt assoc
Pistons: #2's
shocks: all the way out on the shock tower/front shock tower
camber links in and down on tower
Castor: losi 4* "C" carriers and steering knuckles /f+2 block up front
Sway-bar: stock Assoc.
ride hieght: 5.5mm
droop :3 on the Hudy gage

Rear:
springs: copper or Red
Oil: 60 wt Assoc
Pistons #2's
shocks all the wayout on the tower
Camber links: inner upper hole on the shock tower/outer hole on the hub carriers
Sway-bars: none

Misc:

rear "F" block installed on the front of the rear.
F-3-0 rear block
milled chassis inboard .187' for batteries
ran the nitro steering rack mounted 180 degrees from stock.
geared 38/100 for a 1.08 rollout
Batteries to the back.
GT7 speedo
JR 8714 digtail servo

Jaco Purples/Purple Orange tires.

any thoughts on this setup???????

Thanks for your time
Old 12-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Mike for the help and info. Should help me get a better understanding of carpet. Especially once I head out to Snowbirds. Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2002, 03:48 AM
Tech Master

is mike d. mike dumas? if so nice job at cleveland.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.