R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 11-22-2002, 01:46 PM   #3046
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Hmm, good question. I run those same tires, cs22, premounted. I'm not having any problems with them, I do like to rotate them after every heat so that I get consistant wear.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #3047
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Is it wear or is it maybe from pulling?

I've always found my belted tires do that on the inside of the tire on the side that was inside the hardest turns. . .I've always thought that it was caused by the car pulling hard on the one side.

Do you rotate your tires L - R?
Old 11-22-2002, 04:15 PM   #3048
Tech Fanatic

allright. im serioulsly considering getting a motor lathe, especailly since the only place i can get a comm trued (he was truing it, not replacing it) is at that place for 20 bucks, a few rebuilds and ill have more than paid for one. i think. can anyone reccomend a lathe thats good, easy operate, and is pretty cheep. are there any tricks to operating a lathe. i have only stock motors and a chamelion 19t spec motor. ive heard there are 3 types of bits, a modified bit, a stock bit, and a diamond bit. the diamond bit costs way way more. which would be the right bit for me? is it hard to learn? thanks!
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:46 PM   #3049
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Craig

I like the Hudy with V-blocks.Don't get the bearing model they won't cut as clean.And you dont need a diamond bit.Also Cobra makes a nice one with a battery base and switch on it.About the same money.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:49 PM   #3050
Tech Master

I have an Integy XIPP lathe and it works well. You'll need a motor to run it. Any ball bearing motor will work fine. You'll want to get the carbide blocks. That's what the arm sits on. I've only ever heard of carbide and diamond bits, but diamond lasts longer. The diamond bit from Integy is around $60.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:01 PM   #3051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Guys! Got a question for you fast carpet racers. What are you trueing your foam tires down to? Just looking to get hooked up in Cleveland and I have very limited carpet experience. My first time was actually last Thanksgiving. I ran the tires stock and thought I was goin good. But I was down a couple laps off leaders pace. He told me he'd shave my tires down for me to give me a lap or 2. Plus to go up a couple teeth on the pinion. Anyhow I think he took them down to 58mm. I ended up gaining 2 laps (almost 3 if it weren't for a wreck.) Plus ended up with TQ. Anyways.... I started trueing them myself, only at 60mm instead. But my carpet season ended with only a handfull of carpet races. So just looking for advice on what to do this year. Right now I'll be running the Jaco Purples for Rear and "Plaids" for the Front. 28mm I beleive... Thanks for any input....

Jimmy Mac
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:20 PM   #3052
Tech Fanatic

I've been starting with 60mm and ewaring them down from there. Starting out at 58mm is pretty small for a new tire if you want them to last awhile.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #3053
Tech Fanatic

I bought a very nice used Hudy motor lathe for $125.. It's the ball brg. guided model and it came with a diamond bit. It does an awesome job. The diamond bit is expensive when bought new but it's worth it, I think they last forever.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:40 PM   #3054
Tech Adept

Stay away from the diamond bits.First off they are too expensive and they are fragile.You can chip the diamond and it won't cut right.The carbide bit will last 30-40 cuts before it needs sharpened.And then you can just buy a new one from one of the tool oulets online.They are the same bits used in a full size lathe.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:19 PM   #3055
Tech Master

Default Craig

It is cool and everything that you have opinions but get your facts straight. The diamond tip is by far the best at cutting comms and last forever with minimal care. They dont chip easy. Being careful with the bit is not hard. This type of bit cost around $75 and is the best investment..
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:59 PM   #3056
Tech Rookie

I have to agree with Craig. Everything I have read says to start out with a carbide bit because it is to easy to chip a diamond bit. Now concensus is that once you mastered using a carbide bit, than you can try a diamond bit. There is quite a bit of discussion about this on other forums and they all tend to convey the same thing. Ray
Ray001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:22 PM   #3057
Tech Master

Default Accessories for TC3

Guys,

I am hoping someone could give me suggestions on what type of accessories I should get for a TC3. Currently I have a NTC3 a Nitro RC10 and a xxx-NT. I have no experience with electric cars.

Since on road nitro racing is over until spring I thought I finally get a electric car because we have indoor tracks. What type of Speed Control, motor, Battery and charger should I get for this car.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:08 AM   #3058
Tech Apprentice

Default re:

any of these are the ones you want to look into getting to buy.....it's better to buy it the first time , than kicking yourself in the ass, for not doing it the first time, and spending more money in the long run...

note: not in any order..

esc. : novak- gt7,tc2
lrp -quantium competition
keyence- zero extreme

motor : trinity - p2k, p2k2 , green machine - (mod) d4, or d5
reedy- mvp (mod) ti

battery : contact jeff at pro-match .. he will give you the best for what you are racing stock or mod. (((he is da man when it comes to batteries !!!!!)))

charger : competition electronics - pitbull, turbo 35
lrp - phaser
novak - millenium

power supply : rivergate
triplite
n-power

radio : kopropo - ex1 mars
airtronics - mx3 , m8
futaba - 3pdf,3pjs,3pk
jr - xr3, r1

here is a list to go buy , i hope this helps you out ... go to these company sites and check out the specs on each to decide what is best for what type of racing. some of the items are very $$$ but well worth the money in the long run... just remember you pay for what you get...you know .. speed cost , but how fast are you wanting to fly ???

your welcome !!!!
gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:26 AM   #3059
Tech Adept

A carbide bit is around $4-10 dollars and a diamond bit is $25-30 depending on where you buy them.Diamond isnt used for cutting soft material,its used for cutting things that are hard and rough like cast iron.Most machines shops use carbide for everything.You could use tool steel but they require frequent sharpening.If you pay $75 for a diamond bit you got ripped off.This arent my opinions there facts. Check around any machine shop.Hell if the jaws of the lathe in my garage would go small enough I would use it instead of buying a motor lathe.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:41 AM   #3060
Tech Adept

Here- www.use-enco.com The price for the bit in the Hudy is $2.68. Just match the bit that comes in your lathe and you are set.I checked all of our tool supply books and none of them show diamond bits.Its cause really no one uses them for anything.The important thing is to get the bit centered on the comm centerline.

Last edited by Craig; 11-23-2002 at 12:44 AM.