Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Wear Pattern On Jaco Lilacs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation Strange Wear Pattern On Jaco Lilacs

Anyone else seen this strange 'barrel' effect appearing across the width of the tyres.

Admittedly this is after around 17 runs without being trued etc.
Is this normal.
It was pointed out to me on Monday that the wear pattern appears to be wear the spokes of the wheel are not. either side of where the spokes are on the wheel the foam has a strange conical shape.

Skiddins
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

I would wager on tire contortion due to speed and wheel design.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the wheel cracked at all? That is a weird wear pattern for sure.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

If you've gotten 17 runs on a set of tires I'd say you were pretty lucky. It is difficult to determine the problem without actually examing the tire.

How long have you been letting the tire sause set?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Almost always 20mins for the rear additive and 10 for the fronts.
Both rear tyres look identical in that wear pattern.

The rear wheels aren't damaged at all

Skiddins
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hit the throttle and see if the tire balloons in a funky way. The edges of that tire look a little chewed up so it's possible the edges are coming unglued and causing the tire to balloon and wear like that. I've had some older tires (not mentioning brands) where they glue the center and edges well, but there's a strip in between that's not glued at all.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

What traction additive are you using, and are you using anything to "clean" the tire between runs?

Some chemicals that are commonly used will destroy the glue, but that is usually after a lot of use/application.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Anyone else seen this strange 'barrel' effect appearing across the width of the tyres.

Admittedly this is after around 17 runs without being trued etc.
Is this normal.
It was pointed out to me on Monday that the wear pattern appears to be wear the spokes of the wheel are not. either side of where the spokes are on the wheel the foam has a strange conical shape
I would say this is definitely caused by Jaco's flexible wheel. Brand new out of the box you can feel the flexible nature of the wheel, which keeps them from breaking like the CRC wheels do.

While I don't run a set of tires 17x without truing them somewhere in before that, I would bet you would continue to see this with Jaco Prism's if you run this long w/o truing, if you can keep a set together that long w/o chunking.

This could also be attributed to setup. The car may be sliding too much in the turns, and have too soft side dampening, or a higher center of gravity than normal. Maybe the rear pod is not staying flat enough.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by punkboy
What traction additive are you using, and are you using anything to "clean" the tire between runs?

Some chemicals that are commonly used will destroy the glue, but that is usually after a lot of use/application.
CS-High Grip and Speedtech, I just brush the dust and carpet fibre off before applying the additive.

This could also be attributed to setup. The car may be sliding too much in the turns, and have too soft side dampening, or a higher center of gravity than normal. Maybe the rear pod is not staying flat enough.
I understand what your saying, but that wouldn't explain the tyres doing that on the inside...would it

Skiddins
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
CS-High Grip and Speedtech, I just brush the dust and carpet fibre off before applying the additive.

I understand what your saying, but that wouldn't explain the tyres doing that on the inside...would it

Skiddins
Sure - It is a solid axle, so what happens to one side, happens to the other in the same location. Inside of right = outside of left, and outside of right = inside of left.

For example, on your setup board, slightly lift the left rear tire, while pressing down on the outer edge of the right tire. The entire axle angle changes, and now the part of the tires making the most contact will be the inside of the left, outside of the right. Now just imagine all the weight of your car at 20+ mph in a turn under 75% or more throttle. You will scrub and wear those tires, especially since the Jaco wheels flex a little on top of this.

Simple solution, true the tires after 4-5 runs.