R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2002, 08:47 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hara used them to take 2nd at the Japanese Pro-10 Nats.

I can't see the point of more capacity though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a 12 turn motor limit in Europe. Also Roar limits mod sedan to 10 turns. I know that I can run a 4 minute race with an 8x2 on just 2400s, so why do we need more capacity?
Erik R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:43 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From what I've read so far, there isn't going to be a mod motor limit for the USTC series, and 3300's are legal... so that probably means you could run a 7x1 if you wanted, yank the trigger every lap, and still make runtime...
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

At the last Euros driven with a 12 motor limit a lot of drivers drove 3300 cells to get the last additional capacity available needed on the big track the race was driven on. So capacity is sometimes needed! I ead it was all in the cells there
Arnoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:53 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Eric R- Good question about why the need for extra capacity. My thoughts (for what they are worth, LOL!) are thus:
1. Whenever the Grip increases so to does the average amp draw or fuel consumption. The only way to deal with this is to either have greater efficiency or more capacity.

2. During the fall/winter months (Oct.-March) the majority of the country(Roar Regions 1,2,5,7,8, half of 10, and 11 out of twelve) actually run indoors on carpet which is higher traction normally than any asphalt layout, especially at the big races.

3. 12th scale runs 8min and extra capacity even if not necessarily needed is usually welcome.

4. On average 50%+ of every USTC Series Race is 12th scale and this series is the largest by far in the US (that I know of). The series is made up of races in Minnesota, Ohio, New England (this year), Florida (this year) with the last one being the Roar Carpet On-Road Nats having been held in Florida (twice), Maryland and California the past four years. That helps to make this series more of a national series and every USTC race has been well supported and attended by multiple Factory Teams. This means that Baker, Kinwald, Lemiux, Spashett, Cyrul, Lafaso, Blackstock, Derosier, Winn, Chester, Dumas and many others attend and compete regularly.

5. A large amount of indoor TC racing during this time is done on foams which are much higher in grip than any rubber tire.

6. Most indoor carpet TC racing during the fall/winter is 5min long.

7. Most people can't make time in either TC (on foams) or 12th scale with 9 turns much less 8's or 7's so extra capacity is welcome.Hope this gives some explaination why people are excited about the extra capacity (at least it seems like they are, LOL!).
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 04:07 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

One day when a cell holds so much mah, can we reduce the number of cells to one to power an rc? ......it would be a tremendous weight reduction.
mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 04:14 AM   #21
Tech Elite

... and a tremendous decrease in power, what with it only being 1.2volts.

I don't forsee r/c moving from 6 1.2v cells in the near future, even when we have 5000mah cells.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:16 AM   #22
Tech Addict

darnold: good point about 1/12th scale. I hadn't considered that as much since 1/12th scale isn't that popular a class at my track. I've also only raced on carpet once. But at my track(SoCal, asphalt) I could easily make the 4 min. run time with a 7 or 8 turn motor. I understand that in many club races an certain series there is no motor limit. It just seems like since Roar and the Reedy Race are adapting a motor limit that this could become a trend at large events. So it seems odd that battery companies would release higher capacity cell that there team drivers wouldn't need to use at a national level.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik R.
So it seems odd that battery companies would release higher capacity cell that there team drivers wouldn't need to use at a national level.
Really? I think they would release chicken flavored scratch-n-sniff coated battery cells if they thought we would buy them...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:33 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Your probably right
Old 08-15-2002, 09:22 PM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

more capacity?
i have no problem making 10 min mains with a 7 turn and my 2000's.
ok. again, i am lying. in fact, i don't even run mod. sorry.

awesome reading, though, darnold. i dig that stuff. i was actually considering some smh's soon, but i'm finding really, that some good 2000's i have are making the cut so far in stock. i'm sure that won't hold true for a super competitive league though.
later fellas.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:20 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Seaball- Thanks for the kind words and I hope your racing goes well.

Erik- Yeah I know what you mean. Something to consider is that based upon a pole on Tech Talk the sentiment of the racers is pretty much overwhelmingly for NO motor limit. We considered using one this year for the U.S. Triple Crown Series (USTC) but the racers don't want it. Also something to think about; what if the capacity gets to the point were 10-12min races can be held making electric similar to gas in this point, wouldn't that be neat??
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 07:20 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

It's good if the race time can up to 10 to 12 min. But it is not likely, what the trend now is to limit the time to 5 mins only and allow lower turn motor! Maybe it is too hard for the team driver to concentrate for more than 5 mins. (just kidding)

I'd love to see if the race time can be up to even 8 mins, it is already a huge improvement.

5 mins funs is just not worth the effort and money paid on top quality electric car. Even a cigarette last longer than that. It seem's that the world trend is bias to less race time. (Cigar --> cigarette --> "cigarette last for less than a minutes" -->......) Just like the fast food dominate the market. Everybody want it fast!

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 10:00 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My SMH's, and UMH's typically peak with around 3200mah on an integy 16x5bl. I don't foresee any powers 3300's in my pit box any time soon. Once batteries get up to 3500mah, 0r 4000mah, I'd hope we all would be racing 8 minutes by then, and who knows maybe brushless technology will catch up with the battery technonolgy for 15 minute runs. (wishfull thinking)
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 08:39 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 3300's should be a good thing. From what I've been told from a very reputable matcher is 1.15 voltage, 400+ run time @ 30 amps and IR's of 17 and 18. These are very regular numbers from the batch he received. These cells are manufactured in China. I know people are worried about los of runtime and all, but if you can buy a pack of these cells for 35$ and a lot of people buy them then Trinity is only going to have but one choice, lower the price on cells for Panasonic & Sanyo NiMH cells. Now to me that's a win win for all.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:07 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

those cells are pretty good. JMO ran the heck out of them yesterday. They can make for longer races but the motors and brushes aren't being made any better so why extend the races??? Yokomo's aren't known for their efficeintcy (sp) but he got a good 7 min of hard driving out of his so you know that a TC3 or a Losi will get alot more run time.

schurcr- How's it going? That mission was some car to put together.....John Scott now has one. It didn't go together as smoothly as other kits we have had in the past. I'll tell ya about it on the Schuie thread so that this can stay a battery thread.