Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally Posted by mr lee
Anyone ever tested the difference between the soft T-bar and the high traction one?

Did the high traction T-bar offer considerably more traction?
yes. the High-Traction T-bar does give even more rear grip than the soft T-bar. my only concern is its durability (or possible lack of it) in a crash...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen
yes. the High-Traction T-bar does give even more rear grip than the soft T-bar. my only concern is its durability (or possible lack of it) in a crash...
Thanks Tommi!

Would that be a front end, rear, side or any crash in general?

This is one of the parts that I would never think of getting a spare of!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing one of these and have a couple questions. Forgive me if they've been covered…tried searching this thread with no straight answers.

What is the preferred servo to run?

Which LiPo pack are people running that doesn't have any fitment issues? Deans? Banana connectors?

Thanks!

AJ
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aahj
Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing one of these and have a couple questions. Forgive me if they've been covered…tried searching this thread with no straight answers.

Which LiPo pack are people running that doesn't have any fitment issues? Deans? Banana connectors?

Thanks!

AJ
As for servo, some people run a small servo (i.e. Futaba 9602, 9650, etc). I use a 9551. I'm building up another F104 and plan to use a Ko Propo 951. One good thing is that the F104 comes with mounts for all servos big and small.

I use an Orion Rocket Pack 4000mah (Deans plug), but it's a little long so had to shave the battery holder down alot. Plan to just make a foam insert in place of the holder. If you use banana plugs you might have to alter the upper deck to be able to fit the plugs in and if you plan to run TCS races it's not legal.

I'm sure someone will chime in on the battery. Would be nice to know there is a LiPO out there that will fit the F104 without having to do anything for fitment.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Thanks!

AJ
Just finished building mine last week and raced for the first time saturday. First time out with a pan car of any type. I borrowed the battery & servo from my F201 (the F1 stepchild), a futaba s3004 with the ears cut off (probably a lame servo by most comparisons, but it was inexpensive and the LHS had it when i needed it) and an older SMC lightning volts 2600 2S. Both fit very well. With that battery I had room to stick some lead weight to make legal weight at our club. I'd recomend deans or smaller type connectors, every cubic millimeter under the body is valuable real estate. I made mine fit with TRX connectors but BARELY.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Anyone truing down their foams? I went to a carpet track today and the kit foams are sooo sticky, way to much grip both front and rear. At first they worked great for about 2 laps then forget it. I glued the side walls 5 times and still nothing worked. I just need some push
In reply to your other post also;

Probably 80% of a good handling car is tires. True the foam tires down and just as important round the sidewalls. High profile foams with 90degree edge sidewalls are a recipe for traction roll. My F104's are trued to about 56mm to start and rounded/contoured to 45 degrees. They will get better as they get smaller. The next step is to add spacers to the front wheels, get your CG as low as possible and run heavy grease on the center disks. You are on the right track by adding ca to the front tire sidewalls so continue doing that. Make sure the tires are securely mounted to the rims. I ca glue the edges after 2 runs to make sure the tire bead is not lifting.
Are you sure not saucing is helping? I find using jack the gripper keeps the fibers off my tires and keeps them clean and gunk free more then giving it added traction.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Got my 104 painted and installed my new chassis! i am still waiting on the stickers, i went ahead and got the expensive Patto's place stickers (60.00!!) but they are the best sticker kits out there and are complete. all you have to do is paint your base color and the stickers take care of the rest. all of the other R30 kits forced you to have to paint the stripes and didnt have all of the sponsers. The chassis/suspension is the best of all types, the chassis is made of composite carbon which is 30% stiffer than weaved carbon and it is thinner! i used a pivot ball setup from a 12l and used the link design from the f109 and then i machined a shock mount that utilizes the tried and trued tri-shock design using kyosho mini-z shocks for the sides! the car is planted and handles much better than the stock setup especially over bumps. shake down runs at the track will be tomorrow.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mr lee
Thanks Tommi!

Would that be a front end, rear, side or any crash in general?

This is one of the parts that I would never think of getting a spare of!
any crash wherein the motor pod takes the brunt of the impact such as bad rollovers or having your car rear-ended by another car may bust up your T-bar.

anytime you crash or get hit bad, give the rear end a once over. look for cracks or signs of the T-bar getting tweaked.

i still keep spares of the high traction, and soft T-bar just in case. sometimes its those parts you might not find handy if you do break one in a race.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys,

Thanks!

AJ
Originally Posted by Apex
As for servo, some people run a small servo (i.e. Futaba 9602, 9650, etc). I use a 9551. I'm building up another F104 and plan to use a Ko Propo 951. One good thing is that the F104 comes with mounts for all servos big and small.

I use an Orion Rocket Pack 4000mah (Deans plug), but it's a little long so had to shave the battery holder down alot. Plan to just make a foam insert in place of the holder. If you use banana plugs you might have to alter the upper deck to be able to fit the plugs in and if you plan to run TCS races it's not legal.

I'm sure someone will chime in on the battery. Would be nice to know there is a LiPO out there that will fit the F104 without having to do anything for fitment.

i use 2 kinds of lipo packs, both use Tamiya-style plugs that i replaced to use Deans. one is an IP 4000mah and the other is a Speed Energy 4000mah. both are hard-cased packs. same shape as a standard racing stick pack.

the SE pack slides in fine. but the IP is longer by a few millimeters. i had to trim a bit of the plastic battery stopper so the IP pack fits.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Tommi!

I will look at getting a spare as well.

I will probably get the IP 4200mah 40c stick type lipo. Suppose this will be the same dimensions as your 4000mah IP!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have two types of batteries;
Venom 4000mah 20C stick pack
http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15085

and
IP 4200mah 40c Stick pack
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...d-p-31506.html

Both fit in perfectly fine with no trimming or anything. One thing though, that IP pack swelled up after about 5 charges at less than 1C charge. It's on its way bac kfor warrnaty, but i'm not happy!!! The venoms that are half the price of the IP pack are going great guns though... no problems at all !!!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LordAnubis
I have two types of batteries;
Venom 4000mah 20C stick pack
http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15085

and
IP 4200mah 40c Stick pack
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...d-p-31506.html

Both fit in perfectly fine with no trimming or anything. One thing though, that IP pack swelled up after about 5 charges at less than 1C charge. It's on its way bac kfor warrnaty, but i'm not happy!!! The venoms that are half the price of the IP pack are going great guns though... no problems at all !!!
That is not good news!!!

Anyone else have the same problem with the IP 4200mah 40C stick packs?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!
Hey! Whatcha doin here?@??!!??!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

complete with stickers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.